Something I'm thinking about doing.

Discussion in 'Games' started by YoYoMac, Mar 11, 2005.

1. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Well, I'm a recent Mac switcher. Love OS X. Love My PB. LOVE IT. But... there is always a "but" isn't there. But, it's not what I expected in the gaming arena. I knew that I'd be taking a major hit with the gaming factor, but I didn't think it would affect me this much. I'm having some major FPS withdrawl symptoms. I've been playing only RTS games, because my PB can't handle the FPS to my liking. I'm used to at least 40~50 fps for my FPS with the graphics/resolution on high. My PB doesn't even come close to that. I barely scraped 20FPS out of it in UT2004 on medium settings with a crappy resolution. If yours does reach those levels, more power to ya, don't tell me about it.

Anyway, I bought the PB because I wanted a stable system that I could make some easy movies and music on. I'm glad I switched. Very very glad. I can't stress that enough. I'll never go back to a "Windows Only" world. I can forsee myself always owning a Mac of some kind now. I say all that to say this. I need some love in the game department. So, I'm thinking about downgrading my Mac to one of the new 12" PB's in the summer. My wive can use that, than I can build myself a gaming rig. So we'll have two machines, I can use the Mac 12" for movies, music, and regular stuff like internet and the like, then I'll have my gaming system. I'm not sure exaclty how I'm going to do this, because I kinda told my wife that I wasn't going to upgrade for awhile, but I'll have to try to smooth talk her. Anyway, I'm thinking about building this system when I get back to the states. I'll have to save up for a little while.

I've been looking at water cooling. I'm wondering if anyone who posts here has any experience with water cooling. Can you trasport the computer easily if you are using a watercooled system? Is there a possibility of water spilling out while traveling in the car from house to LAN party?

Anyway, this is the system I'm looking to build. I figure with the way things are going, the overall price should drop by a few hundred before I get it.

Lian-Li Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case, Model "PC-V1100B"
    ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU
    AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor
    eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express
    ENERMAX Whisper II AX 2.0 SLI 535W Power supply,
    Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD
    Thermaltake BigWater 12cm Liquid Cooling System
    HP DVD640I Internal DVD±R/DVD±RW w/ LightScribe

I'll start out with one video card and one HD. Then when I feel like I need a boost in speed (which should be quite awhile) I'll upgrade to SLI and a Raid 0 configuration for the HD.

I figure I can sell my PB 17" for around 2000 or so. Grab a REV D. 12" PB and use the left over towards the gaming rig.

Why am I posting all this? Because my wife is sick of talking about computers with me. So I have to let it out somehow. Actually, she's looking over my shoulder right now rolling her eyes.

Ah..marriage.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Another great example on how poorly games are written for the Mac. For example. look at how the new Gran Turismo 4 looks on PS2. That console only has a 32MB video card. I wish things could change but it doubtful.

As for the PC, go for it. Looks like an awesome rig and will play the hell out of some games.

jon

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Sounds like a great plan if you want to play games on something other than a console. I'm doing the opposite, and going to pure console gaming. (Looking to get the PS3 in '06)

That being said; I'd consider getting the iBook over the PB for your wife. What sort of processing power does she need? The 12" iBook may be a better purchase.

4. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Actually, the PS2 has 32mb of RAM total for the entire system. I believe 4mb is reserved for the graphics chip.

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

NOt to mention the Processor is 266mhz.... sad sad...

kyle

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a plan. I may get a PC just for gaming sometime in my life...They keep geting cheaper.

hcuar-Only console gaming? You may miss out on some stuff. But then again I could do fine with just my Xbox. It wouldn't be easy, but I could it. Once I get a new Xbox Live cord to connect to my airport I plan on playing a lot more Halo 2. While I'm at it maybe some Crimson Skys: High Road to Revenge also. I haven't played that on live yet but I've heard it's a great online game.

7. AppleAce macrumors regular

The PS2 only has to supply a resolution of 700x525 though. But still, a few years of optimizing games for the same system does wonders.

8. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Yup! The PS2 has 32MB system memory and another 4MB for the video memory.

http://www.futuregamez.net/ps2hard/system/system.html

Please keep in mind that consoles are ONLY pushing video game software. They do not run other things in the back like all computers do (Win, Mac, Linux, etc.). Also, the PS2 is a very difficult system to program for. And, as nice as GT4 looks, it took a very long time to develop.

Bottom line, Macs are not built for gaming. If you want gaming, you can always invest in consoles and still save a lot. Even if you build a PC gaming machine for less than $1,000, you can still buy all the current consoles out there. It is your choice.

I found it that with all the consoles I own, I don't miss PC gaming. Even Doom 3 is being ported to XBox and it has gotten great reviews (EGM reviewed the XBox version in the latest issue). It even features CO-OP online play. Half Life 2 is expected to be ported over to XBox Next (or Xenon, whatever). But, the bottom line is what do you want. If you want PC gaming, go for it.

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the consoles are dedicated too running games. Xbox is only 700 MHz, but it has the best graphics because it's built to play games.

10. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Great discussion. Thanks.

I don't see why apple can't take two or three of their game freaks on the campus and let them make some kind of "virtual enviornment" for games on the Mac platform or something. Obviously porting PC games isn't doing it for some people. If your just a casual gamer, I guess it's no big deal, but I have like hundreds of dollars of PC software that I don't want to buy for Mac. Although, I was very happily suprised when I noticed that my Warcraft 3 CD was Mac compatible. (I'm a recent switcher) I've also "filled in" the demo of Neverwinter Nights with my PC CD version. Works great. But I can't do that with Unreal Tournament 04 or Ghost Recon (my absolute favorite) or any other games I have.

On the console subject, I have a PS2, but I live in China. I teach college sudents. I'm from America though. Anyway, the only games I can get for PS2 are mostly in Chinese. I am learning Chinese, but the games are too advanced yet for me. I just enjoy PC games more. IMHO PC games have more depth. I haven't played all console games, so I'm only speaking from my experience. And a good RTS doesn't exist for the PS2. If it does, I haven't seen it anyway.

I've never even touched an X-box. Not because I don't like it, I just never have. They virtually don't exist over here. I heard that they really only excel in sports games and Halo, but I don't know. Educate me.

11. applekid macrumors 68020

Oh, please. Don't compare consoles to computers, people. Console hardware is optimized for gaming, the games usually run at much lower resolutions, and there isn't any overhead caused by software.

If you want to look at a console, I suggest do something reading at GameSpot.com and IGN.com and I guess even GameFAQs.com. Check out their individual sections on consoles, compared your favorite games, and game on. It really comes down to what games you want to play that plays the deciding factor in a console. We're coming near to the next-generation consoles, so games are getting cheaper, we're seeing the cream of the crop games showing up, and console prices are very low.

If you want to build that PC, I say go right ahead. I don't suggest water-cooling though. Unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking, stock-cooling often does the trick.

You do sound like someone that likes his RTSes and FPSes. I think sticking with a gaming PC is your best bet. A few of us PC gaming Mac users (that's an oxymoron!) should be able to suggest some quality parts.

12. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

It's funny that you say no watercooling, because I just started looking at the new Shuttle SFF nForce4 system. It would be easy to travel with to LAN parties and the like.

Here is another newbie question. As I said earlier, I have lots of PC game software. I also told you that I live in China, but I'll be going home for about 8 months, (My wife is pregnant) so I don't really want to carry back 100 CD's. Can I make disc images of my PC games (using disk utility) and save them on my external drive, then just burn them when I need them when I get back home? I don't know if this can be done correctly or not. I'm not sure. Again, I'm a Mac newbie, and burning disc images was something I never did on my PC, becuase it requrired other programs, and I didn't feel like looking into them.

13. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

14. YoYoMac thread starter macrumors regular

YoYoMac

So, will that work to make .dmg of PC CDs as backup?

Also, what goes into the porting process? I just downloaded the Mac demo of Ghost Recon. The file structure and file types are exactly the same as the PC version (which I legally own) Why can't they just make it so I can fill the demo in? I would buy it from Macsoft if it was available in China. It's my favorite game ever and I can't play it. My wife's little poodle of a laptop won't run it.

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes I'm sure that will work. Never did that though... But I did copy PC's CDs and then burned them to CD-Rs. (I used Roxio Toast Titanium)

Not sure about the porting process... PC and Mac have completely different architecture.

You can't make that trick with Ghost Recon, because Mac Soft will not get money from you if you could. They want money!

P.S.: you are getting 20 FPS in UT2004? Well my old eMac can run it in the range of 2-130 FPS (100+ when facing a wall in 1on1 DM ;)

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say sports games and Halo, more like sports games and shooters. Yes it has Halo + Halo 2 (some of the best games I've ever played) but it also has some great shooters. It also has sports games,but I hate those. But I like my shooters. But applekid is right, the PC is probaly the way for you to go if you like RTS and FPS. That's were the PC excels in gaming.

17. applekid macrumors 68020

The Mac game business is separate from the PC game business. You've got the porters and publishers that need to get paid on the Mac side. Of course when the same company does the Mac and PC version, you have no problem (i.e. Blizzard). The sales numbers of Mac versions of games do make a big deal, so it's highly recommended your re-buy your games. And technically doing the PC to Mac conversion is illegal. There's somewhere in the EULA about not modifying the software and keeping it as one piece. But, please, don't worry about it too much. It's not something to lose sleep over at all. 8)

Anyhow, I'm not too sure a .dmg of a PC CD image is the right way of backing it up. I'm pretty sure you need to rip it as an ISO or something. I could be wrong.

I would just use Toast to be on the safe side since that duplicates CDs properly, that is if you can get your hands on Toast. It ain't cheap, so I'd really try to see what Disk Utility can do first.

I hear Shuttles can get quite hot with a 6800. I say search around some PC websites. I do remember a few people actually placing 6800 in their Shuttle case properly. But I'm sure there was some special cooling involved. Then I've heard of other stories where the whole case melted... :eek: Do some research, I'm not quite sure about it.