Something interesting a coworker did...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrgreen4242, Nov 30, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Thought I'd share this... a friend and coworker of mine decided to spend the month of November seeing if he could live on a dollar a days worth of food. He's about an hour away from being done, although he has made is final blog post about it. Here's the blog:

The short of it is that he succeeded in spending less than a buck per day on food for the month. The blog is actually pretty interesting, if you're bored at work tomorrow give it a read. ;) He talks about the change in attitude about food and the way other people reacted to this little experiment.

It has a sappy ending even. I'll point him to this thread if anyone has any comments.
  2. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island
    Cool, I read through a couple of posts he made, it's an interesting idea, I'm glad he pulled it off.
  3. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Just read the whole thing. Totally cool. Don't think I could do it...when I saw the picture of his first batch of groceries that was going to last him 2 weeks, it looked like something I eat in a day. :eek:

Got me thinking on cool challenge type things that I could do in that sort of realm though...
  4. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    It was nice of him to donate that extra money to the food bank. :)
  5. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    He's starting to do something like this each month. He's sucked me into this month's with him: draw a web comic each day. Neither of us can draw, but we both are fans of comics, so maybe it'll be interesting. Maybe it'll suck. Ya, that's more likely.
  6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    Wow, nice one him. Lost 18 pounds, not a bad effort at all. Thought starving yourself is never a good plan really...
  7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    He never complained of hunger after the first couple days... he was definitley eating enough not to DIE or hurt himself permanently. The largest threat was likely the high level of salt he ate, since it's one of the few spices that he could manage to afford at a buck a day (since you can get it free in tiny packet form especially). He took a vitamen as well, and you can eat a lot calories in carbs (rice, potatoe flakes, etc) so the risk was pretty low.

In case anyone is curious, his December webcomic-a-day page is, mine is on my regular site I'l admit his day one strip is funnier (and better than mine) but I wasn't trying to be overly funny.