something is not right with this PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Apr 7, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

First, sorry for posting this as this is a Dell PC. But, I though there are many tech savvy people on this forum and I could get helpful tips on this matter. Here is the question. My work PC (Dell X200) slows down "significantly" during the normal business hours (such as cursor/keyboard/track pad frozen up after less than one hour of use). It has Real VNC, Spring Wireless Card and Cisco VPN installed, among others. I am really puzzled with this. I am a hard worker (no lunch break nor any type of breaks for me) and I want get things done quickly, efficiently, and professionally. I receive and send countless e-mails all day long. This pesky problem with my work PC is getting to my nerves now as it is slowing me down because this Dell X200 cannot keep up with me.

I suspect the company's IT dept. has some type of software on this work PC which is slowing me down during the normal business hours. Whenever I am in the office (i.e.. connected to office internal network) or outside (connected to the network via Spring and Cisco VPN combo), this Dell X200 slows down significantly. The track pad and keyboard does not respond to my input (if they do, there are significant delay between my input and actual action). Funny things are when I am at home at night with this POS Dell connected to my home network (also connected to VPN), it works smoothly.

How can I prove there is something is trying to slow me down (even though I want to generate quality works 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.). This Dell is running XP Pro.

2. kahos macrumors member

The only thing that comes to my mind would be to look in task manager when the computer slows down and see if a program uses the more cpu % or ram then it should.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Presuming your company is using Active Directory you might be experiencing a variation of what I've been enduring for a long time now.

Somehow the time synchronization required for Kerberos to work wasn't working and this caused everything to slow down on my box. Opening a simple Word document could take a few minutes since it was having trouble authenticating me as the user the file belonged to.

When I finally detected the four minute difference between my box and the domain controllers and we fixed it so that everyone should be synced again, things sped up dramatically...

B

4. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

As far as I know, my company does not use active directory except for the Lotus Notes database. The only things with relatively high memory usages are: Rtvscan.exe/system (30,000 K), svdhost.exe/System (29,000 K), a few other svdhoust.exe. Since this is weekend, the work PC is working smoothly and I just took the screen shot of the task manager so that I can compare this with the one I am going to experience on Monday (i.e., another slow down from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.)

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I suggest buying a MacBook Pro, installing Windows on it then blaming Apple for everything.

6. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Tell me about it. I wish my company's IT is as open minded as other companies which accept Macs as company computers.
    I hope Apple becomes more aggresive in sales campaign to the corporate customers. It seems Dell is targetting corporate customers and my employer is one of Dell customers.