Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
That might take a few months, but I think the large trackpad must come to the Air. Faster processor, perhaps a slightly modified hinge... not revolutionary stuff just make it more useable. A price drop would be nice too, so I would wait and see.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
That's a heck of a deal for $1499. I believe it's the best value of any Mac notebook offered right now. I don't know that $999 for a 1.6GHz CPU with 120GB SSD is a good deal? It is certainly a better deal than ANY original MBA. I would still highly recommend the 2.13GHz 128GB SSD MBA at $1499 as a much better deal and an amazing value proposition.

I don't know what the update window looks like. I actually thought Apple might update the MBA with another spec bump update including same CPU/GPU but offering more RAM and drive space. I thought that would be in an update between October 2009 and January 2010. I actually think the longer we wait for the update, the more likely the MBA will include an Arrandale CPU. I believe an update defining a new model version will include a new display technology (something revolutionary).

I sure would like the OP's interpretation in this thread to be "correct" and we see a new MBA Tuesday... as long as it doesn't have Intel's IGP as its only graphics solution. Shopping we will go - take my money Apple!

iMacThere4Iam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
It would be nice to see the MBA be a real contender for people's laptop money. Looking at the MBPs and iMac, most likely the entire screen area will be all glass, it'll have more memory, the new trackpad, and a reduction in price to boot. Maybe the real focus of the refresh will be some super-sized SSD that will hint at SSD being an affordable option on the whole product line a lot sooner than expected?

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Hope the new one when updated will come with some better speakers,better battery life and more memory.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I finally decided to pull the trigger, only to find out that Frys.com is now sold out. I called and was told that the deal is gone, and when they get more in stock, it will be back at the regular price. Guess I'm back to waiting for the new models. :(

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I finally decided to pull the trigger, only to find out that Frys.com is now sold out. I called and was told that the deal is gone, and when they get more in stock, it will be back at the regular price. Guess I'm back to waiting for the new models. :(

I believe it will be worth your wait. Look at the last update for support of a wait... $700 discount brought the high-end with 128GB SSD down to the same price as low-end was just a day earlier. Also look at how the MBA doesn't hold value as other Macs seem to hold their value extremely well. The original MBA dropped from $3099 to $1299 in eight months. Rev B dropped from $2499 to $1349 in eight months. And if you count what $1799 would buy you...

It went from 1.6GHz Merom CPU, Intel 3100, 80GB HDD, 2GB 667MHz RAM to 1.6GHz Penryn CPU, Nvidia 9400m, 120GB HDD, 2GB 1066MHz RAM to 2.13GHz Penryn CPU, Nvidia 9400m, 128GB SSD, 2GB 1066MHz RAM. Each update brought a huge advantage over the next for the exact same money...

Waiting for the MBA has shown to really pay off for the buyers. Whether it comes with huge discounts or getting a heck of a lot more MBA for your money!

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Where did u hear that it was going to be 3% thinner?

From the same person that told us that the next models will include a unicorn and a pony.

Meantime, the reason why I posted this small info about Fry's is that it's another indication that the current MBA is close to its end-of-life. To the best of my knowledge, we haven't seen any concrete evidence of the replacement to the MacBook Air; just a lot of speculation.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
i heard the next generation will be 66% thinner,you can simply take it out of a green friendly vomit bag ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.