Something new on the 20th?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Phatpat, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I was at the Apple Store Old Orchard yesterday, and I overheard an interesting conversation.

The manager had called a gathering of maybe 6 other employees, and this is what I heard.

(manager holding grey binder open)
    employee: "looks nice"
    manager: "all hands on deck"
    employee1: "all hands? I was planning on taking the day off"
    ::everyone laughs::
    employee2: "so it's the 20th? I thought the 16th was going to be the big day"
    manager: "yep, the 20th"
    "employee3: "when are we doing the windows? Thursday or Friday?"
    manager: "Thursday"

At that point a customer walked up wanting to buy a $100 gift card, and I heard no more.

Take it for what its worth.
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Ipod mini's making it to the stores is my guess. that or the xserves
  3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    I could mean everything and nothing. So - its more or less no news.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I doubt they'd be changing the window displays for the xserves. Minis would be a good guess. One should also remember that speed bumps are generally not announced until the product is on hand, so it's possible that new G5s are coming as well.
  5. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Unfortunetly I agree its just the mini ipods...shame

Looks like January and February are the "months of mac music"

Where are the NEW G5s...
  6. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    Yeah, you guys are probably right. I don't think they carry xServes in the stores, but mini's sounds like what it would be. But think, march or may, we are due for a big pile o' fun stuff.
  7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    No insiders

The apple store employees are the lowest form of Apple Employee. They really don't get any interesting information, like special product release dates and whatnot in real advance. I know. The iPod mini was pushed back to the 20th officially and that is 100% what this is about. No doubt. Obviously they had the window posters ready for Monday, the former release date, and now are putting them up for the new release. I want to believe that these people get daily phone calls from Jobs telling whats new, but they don't.
  8. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Re: No insiders

I just want to believe that the new powermacs are coming out SOON.
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I still like the stories about the new Macs overheard at the strip clubs in Cupertino at lunch time...

Especially if they include pictures. ;)
  10. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    The Full Macky
  11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    Veeery iiiinteresting...Nice investigative work PhatPat. I agree with others that it's probably Minis, but you never know.

I was at Old Orchard last week and unfortunately I did not look out for hushed voices and crouching figures in the shadows. D'oh!

On a side note. I noticed your profile said you were born in '84 and that you were a student. So, what, that puts you as a Freshman or a Sophomore in college?...And I can see no reason for a college student to be in Evanston, IL (a.k.a., EVIL) for any reason but to attend..errr..."lovely" Northwestern University.

It may very well be that I noticed you went to NU before and asked you this question earlier...But I'm a bit forgetful and it's not often that you run into fellow Wildcats (or, as it used to be, Fighting Methodists) online.

So just wonderin'.
  12. mystixman macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2002
    Ya, it's just the release date of the mini's. Some stores got them in on the 13th, with more on the way. The won't release them until the 20th though.