Something really strange happened this morning...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattG, Nov 6, 2006.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Last night, I closed the lid to my MBP to put it in sleep mode. Got up this morning, went to put it in my bag and noticed that it was really warm. Turns out it never went to sleep. I opened the lid and tried to play around with it, and I couldn't get a response.

So, I did a hard shut down. Then I powered it up, logged in, and everything seemed normal...until I looked down at the dock...it went back to factory defaults. All of the icons I had placed there over time were just gone. My desktop was the same, all the files that were there before are still there now...just my non-default icons in the dock went away. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

:confused:

I did a permissions repair, restarted but still nothing. I have since re-customized my dock, and it's been working okay since then.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you got plenty of free space on the hard drive? Losing customisations can sometimes be a result of a lack of space for your virtual memory. Have you renamed any system folders or files recently? :)

3. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Plenty of space on the hard drive...20gb free. I haven't renamed any system folders or files, I swear!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well open Disk Utility and check the hard drive's SMART status. Also verify the disk (not the disk permissions) in Disk Utility. This will take a little while and you probably won't be able to use the machine at the same time (fifteen minutes at a guess). Are you running with third party RAM? :)

5. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

You know, this is the strangest thing...

I had the exact same thing happen to me this morning too, just without the dock reset.

And for some odd reason my Macbook Pro won't go to sleep anymore >.<