something scary and cool

Discussion in 'Community' started by LeRoyH1, Nov 19, 2004.

1. LeRoyH1 macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2004
    I've just updated to Panther and was in Quicken. While tabing back the date, wherein I hold down the shift key and keep hitting the "-" key to go back to a certain date, the four windows in Quicken I had, at a moderate pace, proceed to move off the desktop in different directions. I was left with what looked like Excel cells bordering the screen. And yet I still had the Quicken menu bar at the top, though I could not use the Window command to bring my windows back. But when I clicked on one of the cells surrounding the screen, it all came back.

What caused this? Could this be one of those easter eggs Mac programmers hide in the software? How can I do this again?

Thanks, LeRoy
  2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    It sounds like your describing Exposé, a new feature in Panther. Typing F9 will show all windows, F10 will show all windows of the front application, and F11 (which I suspect you pressed by mistake as it is near the "-" key) hides all windows and reveals the desktop. To customise it, go to the Exposé pane in System Preferences.
  3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    expose - is the single greatest feature as of late. I use it so much (i have a 12" screen) I have it programed to my mouses additional keys. The productivity screams at me~!
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I just tried F9 & F10 it caused my desktop to go dark. F11 just sent my Safari off the desktop with only the right edge visible. In my case it seems that weird things happen. The adventure it to fix the problem.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Try opening System Preferences->Exposé and verifying the function keys - perhaps they were reassigned?

BTW, my favorite can't-believe-I-didn't-see-it-before feature (not because I use it, but because for some reason I find it fascinating) is the zoom feature (⌥⌘= to zoom in, ⌥⌘- to zoom out), enabled in System Preferences->Universal Access. I'm likely the only one on the forum that didn't know about it until now, but I like it.
  6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Umm... I don't think there is anything to fix...

If you only had one window open, then both F9 and F10 will do the same thing. F9 darkens the desktop and shows you all open windows, and F10 darkens the desktop and shows you all open windows in the active program. So if you only have one window open in one program, they both do the same thing: make your desktop dark.

F11 will shove all open windows off to the side so that you can see the desktop.

Try it out. Open a whole bunch of windows and play around with the F9, F10, and F11 keys. When you press F9 or F10, click any window and it will bring that one to the front.

This is probably the best feature in Panther.
  7. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    You're right. I misread his post. I agree it's standard behavior. I misinterpreted "desktop" to mean "entire screen". My bad.
  8. LeRoyH1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2004
    Thanks everybody! It's a great feature. Thanks for the explanation. I can see there is more about Panther that would be helpful to learn.

9. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2001
    Also note that if you hit the keys while holding shift as you did accidentally the first time, the operations execute in slow motion, great for showing the feature off.
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Hold down CTRL + ALT + APPLE + 8. Just learned that one from someone here a couple of months ago. ;)

Oh, and what does F7 do? A friend of mine used my Powerbook, saw the little picture on F7, and pushed it to no effect.