Something that has always annoyed me...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by p0intblank, Oct 20, 2006.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I've been a Mac user for a little over two years now and I absolutely love it... but one thing has always annoyed me, and that's Flash. Why is Flash such a process hog for the Mac? Everytime any kind of Flash is display (even a small banner ad), my PowerBook's fans spin up. I realize I could probably turn it off, but I need it in some instances. Is there any way to lessen the process so my fans don't have to spin up everytime? Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree, but I think it's more a problem with Safari than OSX as a whole. Have you tried using a different browser on the sites that are particularly Flash-intensive? :)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I hate how websites have become flash-heavy. Go check out any car website and try to look at a specific model, you get animated drop down menus, fancy transitions and then some stupid video before you have to navigate a fully animated menu system to look at the specifications.

What happened to well-designed but SMALL web pages, something that would load quickly on any connection and give you the information you desire just as quickly. That's why I love RSS and Dashboard because it means I don't have to navigate through huge, poorly designed websites to get the info I want.

Just a note to all web designers here, LESS IS MORE. Really. It is. Fancy-shmancy web pages are just irritating, get to the point, get to it quickly and you'll win me over.

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I second that. [​IMG]

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The increase of broadband which means many developers think they don't have to do small any longer - although as devices converge and people do start using mobile web, they might have to retreat. And the multitude of awards where many are judged by non-experts who like flashier site... and Flash. Clients are also getting more involved in the look of sites and there's still not enough usability (both normal and in terms of accessibility) testing going on.

My company's main selling site is pretty basic in terms of flashy features - although to be fair that's more because it goes come under fairly heavy load at busy times and there's no way that we're going to decrease response times and slow down everyone's browsing experience for the sake of a Flash animation.

6. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I hear you, brother. I think the Jaguar site gets it right. It's a pleasure to navigate round that site.