Something that set me right off about Nike :mad:

Discussion in 'Community' started by Abstract, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I just read this STORY (sorry, the story contains a few words that are censored at MR :eek: ), and it really bothers me that a company thinks they can just take someone elses work because they don't believe that the company has the financial resources to fight back in court. It shouldn't even get to court. Just don't copy other people's work.

Anyway, I emailed their corporate site asking them for an explanation.

Not sure if this was particularly good. I wrote it in 5 minutes and forgot to link to the story from which I read it.

Anyway, if you dislike what they did as much as I do, please send a message to Nike:

When asked "SUBJECT/DETAIL," select "Nike - The Company" followed by "Advertising." I have made it very easy for you to complain, so please feel free to do so. ;)

Anyway, I really dislike Nike more and more. I pretty much stopped buying their products in the 1995-1997, but I did buy a Nike basketball recently. Damn! :mad: Personally, I don't think their products are worth the money. Too much of the money goes towards advertising. Their product takes a backseat. Too bad.

Anyway, thanks,
    Ian :)
  2. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    i second that ... i bought a pair of Nike shoes _once_ after half a year 2x2 hours sports/week in school they were literally falling apart and i had to buy a new one

the reebook i had before for sports + street together lasted more like 2 1/2 years
    my last pair of adidas lasted 2-3 years as well with daily use+sports untill i put them into the locker completly fine ... i still use them from time to time (soccer)
    same for my nike football which didn't lasted very long

at the moment i'm wearing vans 1 year and i'm looking forward to at least 1 -2 years... still very sturdy
  3. noaccess macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2005
    I have a 5 month-old pair of pumas that are falling apart. And I mean original Pumas bought from the official Puma store here... Well, at least they don't do illegal advertising like Nike.
  4. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    ...but they've never exactly been at the forefront of moral and ethical behaviour.

Piety aside, I hope a response to the claims are forthcoming.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Man that's frustrating.

As for the letter, I think it comes across as though you're pretty angry here and also a little threatening. Whilst this is obviously fully justified, I think you'll get further with a letter that is a little less confrontational.

Save the harsh words for the second letter, once they've attempted to get themselves out of this mess so that you don't come across as attacking so much as defending.

Does that make sense? Sorry I've been studying all day and my brain's off with the fairies. :(
  6. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    ^^Thanks for the tip. I usually wait until I'm calmer before I do anything, but sometimes I wait so long that I don't really feel compelled to do something about it, and so I end up doing nothing. :eek:

I guess that's the risk you take for writing letters like this while you're a bit angry.

And that Oxfam thing just makes me sad. I haven't been to that site in over 6 months. I hate how there's nothing we can do in situations like this, where a company shows no social responsibility. We can speak with our wallets, but much like Microsoft is to a Mac user, it sometimes doesn't seem to have much of an effect. They don't really miss us. Nike won't miss my money either.
  7. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    remember LA Gear? whatever happend to those guys? i remember back in the early 90's they were the SHIZ... literally... with the light up sneakers and everything.... you had to be there... lol
  8. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Jul 25, 2002
    I stopped buying anything with Nike's logo on it, after they ran an "air-dry goat shoe" ad which belittled the disabled, in a hiking magazine.

" Fortunately, the Air Dri-Goat features a patented, goat-like out sole for increased traction, so you can taunt mortal injury without actually experiencing it. Right about now you're probably asking yourself, "How can a trail running shoe with an outer sole designed like a goat's hoof help me avoid compressing my spinal cord into a Slinky on the side of some unsuspecting conifer, thereby rendering me a a drooling, misshapen, non-extreme-trail-running husk of my former self, forced to roam the Earth in a motorized wheelchair with my name, embossed on one of those cute little license plates you get at carnivals or state fairs, fastened to the back?" "

Goodbye forever, Nike.
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Is Minor Threat or that album well enough known for this to be considered an homage or a rip-off, for that matter, by skaters? I'm not a skater...and I've never heard of the band. I guess that, if the album cover were something extremely famous, like the Andy Warhol banana cover for the Velvet Underground, then I could see something like this being a tribute / homage (or a satire if that were the intent) and it would seem like fair usage to me. But I don't think this cover is exactly so well known as Warhol's, and so it sounds pretty bad to me.

As far as *buying* Nike shoes...I don't merely because they do not make very good products for my sport (running). Very few runners run on Nike. I use Saucony, personally. And I don't really wear sports shoes except for the rest of my shoe money goes to Steve Madden and Aldo and so on.
  10. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2005
    Hahaha I had some LA Gear Pump sneakers in probably 1990 because Reebok pumps were like $150 and the LA Gears were $35. Fell apart in about two weeks.
  11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    haha. when i saw the letter signed ian i thought ian mackaye had actually written it.. hah

anyways, i did a search for "nike major threat" and the first link i saw had a little bit more of the ad.... notice that the text on the right side is exactly like the font here.

also notice that the xxx over the double lines is exactly like the favicon in the previous link! and i'd guess that it's a symbol of minor threat or dischord or something.... and even if not, xxx... hmm. straightedge? minor threat? coincidence? what a joke...
  12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Well keep in mind different shoeshave different purposes, even within a category. (say running) Softer materials absorb more shock, but also wear down faster. Not saying Nike is the greatest, but its not as bad of a shoe as everyone makes out. Also, if your shoe wears out, call Nike. I sent a pair back and they gave me a credit for the full price. This was after about 1.5 yrs. That right keeps me coming back.
  13. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    I had to Google to check, but LA Gear is still around. I used to have the LA Lights a loooooooong time ago. :eek: I also had several pairs of the LA Gear "Regulator" pumps because the genuine Reebok Pumps were too expensive. I loved those things. Ahhh...the early 90s :D :D
  14. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    All I know is Phil Knight donated $30 million to give our library a face lift at the U of O back in the early ninties. Nice library.
  15. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    i don't know ... a sports shoe(a basic one not some special ultra fragile soccer/running etc. shoe) who doesn't withstand perhaps 30 or 40 hours of light sport in school _inside_ of buildings, not even on grass or some rough terrain or something isn't something i want to shell out money ever again
    sorry but even if it was an extremly "soft" shoe that's unbelievable bad i never had such a bad shoe from any other major brand by far

and that return-your-shoe thing doesn't exist over here (afaik)
  16. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2004
    I had the Wal-Mart rip offs because we were poor. They wouldn't light up most of the time. You had to stomp real hard to get them to light. Man...being poor sucked.

It amazes me how all you have to do is make something silly like shoes that light up, and every kid has to have them. I bet they made a lot of money off parents who wanted to get their kids to shut up. Like pogs too. Remember pogs? What was the point of those God forsaken things?

Anyway. I wear Borns. The most comfortable shoe ever made. Get yourself a pair of these, your feet will love you forver. Not running shoes...but I don't run anyway, so it's all good.
  17. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Yeah Puma's suck now. I bought two pairs after liking the looks, and still do. I think after flip flop season is over I will go back to a nice pair of KSwiss. Those were so comfortable and with a little super glue I could have kept wearing them for another year.

18. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Probably management was unaware of this ripoff. Its not like they are up on the skateboarding/punk rock scene. Probably just signed off on some ad artist's work without knowing.
  19. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    ^^But the artwork was EXACTLY the same! Well, change the colour, and give the guy in the photo a pair of Nike's, and change it from "Minor Threat" to "Major Threat." Its still a copy, whether it was well-known work or not.

Again, the stealing was done probably because Nike knew that the label couldn't fight back with lawyers, and that they'd get away with it.

Anyway, no response so far, but its only Sunday in North America.

And I had Reebok Pumps, and they were fantastic. I don't understand why people kept bursting the bubble. I also saw a new pair of Reebok Pumps recently at a store for around $160 USD. They were pretty ugly. I actually think they were Shaq's shoe line. I guess he eventually did go back to Reebok. I think he was with Reebok at first, right?

Anyway, I'm also a runner, and I have a pair of Adidas. Not too bad. Very "airy" and breathable. Right now, I'd probably only buy New Balance, Asics, or Brooks. But my Adidas were a great price and they aren't too bad. :)

Nike isn't good for any sort of shoe. Too much of their budget is spent on advertisements (except in this case where they're just ripping off an idea :mad: ), and not enough money is spent on the shoe. :rolleyes:

PS: If anyone else wants to send a letter, feel free.

PPS: It sucks that Nike made mock the handicapp.
  20. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Looks like Nike Skateboarding has pulled it... just leaking onto the design sites.

Nike Pulls Minor Threat Ad
    Here's the apology in full:

June 27, 2005

To: Minor Threat, Dischord Records and fans of both

Re: Major Threat East Coast Tour Poster

Nike Skateboarding sincerely apologizes for the creation of a tour poster inspired by Minor Threat's album cover. Despite rumors being circulated, Wieden & Kennedy and Odopod had nothing to do with the creation of this tour poster and should not be held accountable. To set the record straight, Nike Skateboarding's "Major Threat" Tour poster was designed, executed and promoted by skateboarders, for skateboarders. All of Nike employees responsible for the creation of the tour flyer are fans of both Minor Threat and Dischord Records and have nothing but respect for both.

Minor Threat's music and iconographic album cover have been an inspiration to countless skateboarders since the album came out in 1984. And for members of the Nike Skateboarding staff, this is no different. Because of the album's strong imagery and because our East Coast tour ends in Washington, DC, we felt that it was a perfect fit. This was a poor judgment call and should not have been executed without consulting Minor Threat and Dischord Records.

We apologize for any problems this may have caused, and want to make very clear that we have no relationship with the members of Minor Threat, Dischord Records and they have not endorsed our products.

Every effort has been made to remove and dispose of all flyers (both print and digital). Again, Nike Skateboarding sincerely apologizes to Minor Threat and Dischord Records.

Nike Skateboarding
  21. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    A step in the right direction, I guess.
  22. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Abstract, are you buying Nike prodcuts again now? :)
  23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    wow, very interesting. guess it makes sense... nike hires graphic design company (or has graphic design team) made up of some young skater/graphic designers... they make a not so subtle homage to the band that inspired many of their fellow skaters, not realizing possible negative implications...

sadly, i believe that nike is not as to blame as they usually are.. hah
  24. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2003
    cleveland, oh
    i dont think nike is completely as hands-off and not as fault in this as they would like us to believe we are, i mean, everyone has a boss that OK's things... but it dosen't appear as if they were *trying* to be as negligent as it was originally made to look.

it would have been a really strong and effective campaign, were it not shut down... if nike wants to be effective in the skateboard world, they are going to need to be, or at least come off, much less corporate and white collar.

they have succeeded getting into the playgrounds and streets of the inner-cities, and imo, it's only a matter of time before they make an impact on the punk/skating underground as well.
  25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    basically, i can see some exec ok'ing it without actually knowing of minor threat. still at fault and possibly able to be sued (in theory), but not nearly as bad as some big shots thinking "hey let's take that popular album cover art and make it into a campaign aimed at the very kids who'll recognize it!"...

it's a bit funny though that minor threat fans would be working for nike.... not very mackayesque. hah