Something the applecare guy told me last night has been bothering me...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redrabbit, Nov 5, 2006.

1. redrabbit macrumors 6502

I created a thread in the MBP forums yesterday about my screwed up monitor. Well, I called apple care for the first time ever last night and he arranged for a box to be sent here and I would ship it out to them. During the conversation though, he said something that probably means nothing but it's been on my mind all day. He said that it showed up on his computer that my laptop was purchased in June. At first I didn't notice that, but then I realized that I had purchased this laptop in mid-Augest. I know it's probably nothing but I feel like I should investigate it further or at least ask MRforums. Do you guys think I'm just being over-paranoid or is there a chance Apple accidently sold me a used/refurbished laptop?

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

hm, im not sure i doubt it is refurbed though

3. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

Did you buy it from a non apple store ie(compusa or other store?) if so, your machine could easily have been new when you bought it.. but the store might have had your certain machine for some time..

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Did you register your warranty with Apple, or skip past that page when you were setting up OSX? Apple assumes a purchase date based on the manufacturing date. When you register, they update the serial # record to reflect your real purchase date. This is normal.

If you are still worried, the thing to ask them is whether the machine has ever been registered under another name.

5. redrabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

no, from the apple store

I'm 99% sure I registered on the OSX startup page as they've been sending me offers and 'gifts' like free susciptions to Macworld magazine for buying a MBP. I do know that I registered AppleCare right away though, so is that the same thing?

Should I call apple care or a sales rep to ask them about it being registered under another name?

Thanks for the help.

6. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

Well the date thing happened to me... I asked the guy to change it and he did... maybe you should try your luck at that

7. redrabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

8. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Well the warranty (even applecare) will always start from date of manufacture which is tied to your serial number. No matter what store you buy from: Apple, Apple Online, CompUSA or whatever they could have had a slow sales period where some units might be sitting. So the date of purchase could be up to a month or two off. All you have to do is call them and tell them your purchase date. They will do up to 30 days difference on yoru word. If it is over 30 days they"may" ask you to send a copy of your receipt. I had to do so with an iPod. Shouldnt be a big problem for you at all.

Kevin