Something to consider regarding new PowerBooks.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hodapp, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

A friend of mine is a roaming Apple rep who used to handle the Apple side of CompUSA, but now does educational sales, installs, etc. Pretty low on the totem pole, but he's been around a long time. I was talking to him today about the possibilities of PowerBook updates, and he said he didn't know anything for certain, but most of the Apple stores have taken their PowerBooks off display as of today.

Apparently, in the past, when they have speed bumped they have left the old PowerBooks out until they got new demo units in stock. According to him, the last time he's seen the Apple Stores completely remove the demo PowerBooks was when they brought out the Aluminum series, which fits pretty well with a product being EOL'd.

"I don't know if we'll see G5's, but it is very odd for them to remove the demo units, big changes are coming soon, that's for sure." -Straight from the horse's mouth.

Something interesting to consider though...

2. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

EVEN THOUGH! I normally dont give into "reliable source" threads, heres my two cents. I have heard reports of this from thinksecret and appleinsider as well. Now, assuming that your source is who he says he is, he logic makes sense. There is no need to eol or pull products for a minor speed bump.

3. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Damnit...now I am going to want to buy a new one...that drives me nuts. Oh well...I love my aluminum... :D

4. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

That's what I thought too, I try not to read too deep in to the rumor sites, but combined with them, and what people who have worked with Apple for a long time are saying... makes me wonder. I know my buddy works for Apple, he's reliable in that he's not predicting anything, just going from what he's seen in the past. I've known him since high school, I don't think he'd BS me.

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

This is really shocking. I don't think the world is quite ready for a PowerBook G5, if this is really what's coming. Seriously though, how the hell have they done it? Assuming this is the PB G5, they must've seriously pulled off some incredible design techniques to fit in a G5 with it's hotter components. Why wasn't it even mentioned at MWSF? To keep the Mac mini, iLife, iPod shuffle, and iWork on people's minds?

I'm not saying that I doubt your source. I really do believe that all of the indications are pointing towards a brand new PowerBook G5. I just don't see how they've done it. It's absolutely incredible.

On a side note, I hope that they either kept the Aluminum (the kept the basic design of the iBook when it moved to G4).
    -Chase

6. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

howd they do it?
    Super conducting liquid nitrogen technology from our friends we met on titan!.

But seriously. I think it is far more likley to be a tweaked enclosure with a dual core.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They'll probably have to have warning stickers on the computer to tell you not to use it in heat sensitive areas - unless you plan on making a cup of coffee on it. :p

8. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

If not a dual core G4, I'm betting on at least a tweaked/restyled enclosure, perhaps allowing for the larger ATi mobile x800? Remember how everyone was saying they doubted it would fit in the current enclosures because of how large it was? And perhaps ditching the 12" for a 13 or so inch widescreen?

I doubt they'd release the G5 without more fanfare, but I could see a fairly substancial redesign/speedbump based on some spinoff of the G4 without a huge announcement.

9. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

"Who needs a vasectomy? I just got a new Powerbook!"

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Or maybe a tweaked enclosure with speed bumped G4's. The new enclosure would be in place for the much rumored late first half G5's. IMO the makert with the right price could support both G4 and G5 PB's. The G4's would be at about a $100 to $150 lower than they are now. With the G5's being about $150 to $200 than the current models. Of course that means lower pricing on the iB's as well. The G4 PB's would become the "iPod" of the PB line up for the first year.

11. Logik macrumors 6502a

not getting G5's... i don't see where this is going honestly... the Dual core G4's won't be sampled until 3rd quarter... so those are out... the speedier single core G4's are being sampled now i believe.. so those are possible sometime "soonish".. but G5's.. not happening.. i've said it before.. i'll say it again.. not happening.. keep dreaming guys

12. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Wow this is surprising, considering tomorow is a Wednesday.

Maybe the store was just dusting their shelves, so they took all their computers down? There has to be some explaination for this, they wouldn't just announce G5 or dual core G4 PBs w/out any hoopla. The least they could do would be to wait for next Tuesday :rolleyes:

13. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

not that i think anything is coming, but we have to remember, that a new machine does not necessarily mean a g5 powerbook, it could very well be a dual-core g4, which in my opinion would be better than a g4, seeing that the professional would get more out of a dual machine than a g5 at around 1.6GHz or so. It also seems to me that a slightly lower clocked g4 is the same speed as a lower clocked g5. The 1.6GHz iMac is not the fastest thing in the world. So, don't rule out dual core g4's, but I doubt anything is coming.

okay, i just read other people's responses, and they talked about dual core machines too... should have read all responses first...

14. ellisongs macrumors member

That's very interesting. I happened to be in the Dearborn, MI Compusa store today and noticed that most of the Apple laptops in their display were gone. All that I saw was those laptop lockdowns with nothing in them.

15. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Whatever they do needs to be soon! I want my first Mac, BAD! but this does help my money situation with income tax a couple weeks away at the most.
    Seriously, I can't wait.

What's the significance of Tuesdays for apple releases anyways? I know they usually do all bumps and things on Tuesday, but what's the reason why?

acedickson

16. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Steve was born on that day... kidding... I really don't know why it is- just always has been.

Speaking of, The powerbooks have also been taken down at my Comp-usa store. No joke - the guy says that they are coming in with new ones. SO i ask him new models or new computers? and he said "you'll see"

So me, not given in to the rumor mills - is expecting something very large. A new enclosure? I would love to see that. I don't mind a G5 just give me something more than a speed bump.

kyle

17. Dalriada macrumors 6502

That's also my 2 cents... but cannot see how they would bring out a brand new enclosure and spoil the show for the G5 if & when she'll be ready. If it is indeed the PowerPC 7448 which could be close to hitting the shelves (anyone hve any Freescale buddies ?) what sort of speeds and FSB could we expect ? And would that be enough to justify the present clearing out of stocks ?

18. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Very interesting that powerbooks have physically been pulled from the shelves and displays of stores. That sure does create quite a bit of hoopla and fanfare on the 'net for all those who want a new powerbook. And it sure is a real cheap advertising tool - it makes all the boards like this scream. Just think if apple were to leave the displays bare for a week, building up expectation in everyone even remotely interested. heck, but 6am next Tuesday people around macrumors would be trembling -- and they'd probably kill Apple's online store with reloads every second in between...

Who knows what's coming? I'm not that bothered, I love my current powerbook and don't need anything more right now, but I do find it quite interesting.

Just don't think that Apple happened to have powerbooks pulled from displays and we noticed. Quite the contrary, Apple pulled powerbooks from displays SO we'd notice. All this energy around the new pb, whatever it will be, is priceless for Apple. They know that the people who are going to buy powerbooks in the first week are the people that have been watching these boards, waiting to pounce. I think it's a great move. Free fanfare!

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Wow, I usually don't believe stuff like that but it is weird that they pulled the books off the shelves, that's for sure. Might ThinkSecret be wrong after all?
    If they pull out a 13" PB with a x800 mobility and the new 200MHz FSB G4... I might have to trade my 12" in... :rolleyes:

20. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

might check out regent street later this morning as i'm going that way anyway, i'll let you know if they've taken all the powerbooks down. I went in on monday to the genius bar and there were stacks of powerbooks out as per usual.
    If they took them all off for even a day half the shop would be empty, i'm not kidding there are masses of them all down the left side of the store.

I'd love to see g5 powerbooks, i don't know if they're ready but they can't be dual core g4's a they aren't ready yet.

So will it be next tuesday? :eek:

21. Zaty macrumors 65816

Interesting, but somethings doesn't seem right in relation to a completely new revision of PBs. Let' s assume for a second Apple is to announce all new PBs (not just speed bumps) within the next couple of days. Why didn't they announce them at MWSF? The only explanation I can think of is they have run into the same problem as with iMacs last year. I only hope that's not case. I guess we'll see.

22. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I don't think that would be a very clever move. If apple would leave the displays empty for a week they would be losing quite a considerable amount of revenue! NOt everybody follows these sites. In fact I'm sure the vast majority doesn't, so I don't think Apple would take such big risk.

23. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Just had another thought on this topic. As far as I'm concerned I can imagine why Apple wouldn't intro new powerbooks (if that's what they're gonig to do) at MWSF. Apple already released 2 major products during that event, not to mention a few new software titles. If a new powerbook was introduced it may have caused there to be less commotion around the ipod shuffle and mac mini. Furthermore with the internet these days if apple posted a new product on their website all the major news sites would be all over it within minutes. So as far as media coverage goes that really wouldn't make much difference. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple just decided to make a more strategic move. The initial mac mini and ipod shuffle hype is now settling down a bit. Time for a new powerbook to get back to the front page of all the major (tech)news sites!

24. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Sure everybody doesn't follow these sites, but many of those holding their breath for a new powerbook do.

And, as many stores have sold out of powerbooks, there would be zero loss of revenue to pulling them from displays. Empty shelves in a store make a loud statement; it would highlight the impending new model, building anticipation. Even the casual walk-in would be liable to ask "where are the powerbooks?" or "What's going to go in that space?" thus entering into a conversation with a salesman...

And powerbooks aren't exactly an impulse buy - if you walk into an apple store to buy one, chances are you've already thought it out, and you're getting a powerbook. And if you walk into an Apple store just to see what's going on, it's unlikely you'll walk out with a new powerbook. (especially if there aren'y any in stock.;) ) So no revenue is being lost here - it's only lost if buyers decide to buy an alternative computer. . . and OS. . .

The store displays are great ways to exemplify the differences between the powerbooks, ibooks, etc, and to give a feel for the machines. However given Apple's unique place in the market, hype building up to a product is far more valuable than a stray impulse sale here and there... When was the last time you saw such a media craze when Dell or Gateway launched a new machine? Imagine the headlines now... Dell Launches Incredible New Dimension 8936b, the same as last week's only .023ghz faster!

Planting advertising seeds is very effective, and cheaper than buying trees.

25. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

This is what I'm betting on. Apple doesn't need ANY hype to sell PowerBooks as fast as they can make them. Everyone who uses a PowerBook now that I know, including the non-savvy college kids who are required to have them at the Art Institute of Chicago (Or one of those other art schools down town, I can never remember.) keep up on Apple hardware, at least a little bit.

On the other hand, the Mac Mini and iPod Shuffle are targeted at the average joe. Apple's major presentation at MWSF was displaying that Apple products are now affordable. $500 Mac, $100 iPod, software packages for $80 that you'd be hard pressed to find an equal in the PC world for double that... It would make sense that they didn't make mention of any PowerBooks because it just wouldn't have made sense in any way other than Steve Jobs showing off everything, rather than making a very convincing sales pitch. I don't even know where he would have exhibited the PowerBook without it being out of place. Cheap item, cheap software, cheap item, oh by the way here's our new PowerBook it's 4 grand? I don't think so.

If this is the G5 PowerBook, Apple knows it will sell itself. Not only that, it's not like it's going to be any less special when MWSF rolls around. G5 PowerBooks now, perhaps announcing speed bumped G5 PowerMacs, while giving a presentation about how you can get a G5 across the board now.

I'm starting to not buy in to the camp of people who think that it's impossible for G5 PowerBooks to come out because of the lack of an announcement at MWSF. On the contrary, it wouldn't have been appropriate for them to announce them there.

Either way, this should be an interesting week, that is for sure.