Something way cooler than the Wii's innovative control...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chone, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

http://gear.ign.com/articles/772/772295p1.html

DISCLAIMER: This is not an anti-wii thread. PERIOD.

This looks like a really nice thing, it actually complements a gamepad (or a wiimote) and adds much to the experience, some of the examples were really cool including soundtracks that shift depending on your mood, special adrenaline powerups for shooters bases on real adrenaline, specially designed survival horror games that measure how scared you are. I can definitely see some rather interesting stress-release games for this... especially some rather violent ones :)

Additionally, focusing on physical movements can actually translate them on screen, the example IGN gives is focusing and using your hands for force powers in a starwars game...

Now talk about inmersive gameplay!

Though sometimes you really wonder if technology isn't getting a little too advanced for its own good..

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Technology is going a little ahead of itself - noticable loading times in 2007? :(

Headset=brilliant. I would absolutely love to use something like that when the technology is perfected. Something like that combined with 2 Wiimotes (gloves?) would be a good step closer to Virtual Reality (or augmented reality?). However it's a little inconvienient. Part of the beauty of having the Wii in the living room, with the Wiimote next to the TV controls is that I can just press the power button, hit the "AV channel" button a few times and we're in. No putting on funky hats or whatever.

An art game/app you could control with your mind... Everyone becomes an artist.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Cool a Force-helmet. :eek:

If I combine one of these with a Wiimote, I could use the Force, well sort of, to think about stealing the other guy's gun, then it will fly from his hand to mine, then I could point and shoot at him in the game. :)

<]=)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd melt if that was a game :eek:
    And some people say interface plays no part with gameplay :D

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Attached Files:

6. darkwing macrumors 65816

This detects muscle movement instead of EEG activity.

This is a neat device. It's nice to see a game-oriented company actually trying to pioneer new technology for gaming instead of using the same ol, same ol.

I wonder if it will ever take off? Maybe this was what that Nintendo Revolution helmet was going to be?

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

New tech is great, that's why I'm glad Nintendo has been on the forefront of gaming innovation and has done more to shape the console industry than any other company. Look at the Wii, instead of including the same ol - same ol - controller like Sony and MS, they introduced a new concept for gaming altogether. The ideas for all of this tech have been around for some time, but the exectuaion and combination are completely new. For example, the expansion port on the Wiimote isn't a new idea, but its execution is, since it's basically a joystick port on a joystick. Prractially anything can be plugged into it, something like this mind-helmet as an example, which in itself is also an old idea.

The only thing that has held much of this tech back, has been cost. A mind helmet like this, or a Wiimote, would have probably cost as much as a PS3 not even a decade ago. A PS3 back then would have required a military budget. And there would definitely be more bulk to deal with, do to the larger components.

Anway, thought controlled games will be great to an extent. It would certainly take some getting used to, but open up so many more possibilites when used in combination with current tech; Just like the Wiimote.

<]=)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What kind of sordid games could they come up with :D

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

I actually had an idea for a game called "Wii Love San Francisco" where you um.. install the Wiimote, and then play it. It's sort of a dating-sim, only most of the dating spots are alleys.

Think it could sell?

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The mind is so big, I can see one game this would be good for:)

Bless

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i already feel like a jackass swinging my arms around widly playing Wii games, now i can truly BE a jackass by wearing a little helmet it like....

anyone see Demolition Man? Where Sandra Bollocks and Rambo get it on using the brain helmets? Thats what that thing is.

12. TheGimp macrumors 6502

You already *are being* a jackass for the doing the former, and having enough time left over to report on that activity in these forums makes you one doubly so, thus you might as well don the helmet along with the rest of us and accept it. As long as you don't abuse the microphone on that helmet, you will not have to worry about feeling like a flesh hat (like many on xbl) - or actually being one.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wow dude, upset are we...I know some bush medicine that will release the stress.

Bless

14. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Sorry I forgot to append the emoticon that would enable you to interpret my post in a (somewhat) humorous light. My "along with the rest of us" was intended as a self-deprecating way of saying, "join the party, jackass" However, you did correctly intuit that I have no trees to burn right now, so you score a point for that. Bored, yes. Upset, no.

15. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have had those things on my head (catscans, whatever) and let me tell you... they pinch and are not comfortable.

We are going to end up paying so much attention to all the pinching that we won't be able to pay attention to whatever it is we are really putting all this junk on ourselves for... and imagine what kind of radio waves, radiation, etc. that is leaking from that right into our cerebral cortex... sounds like fun!!

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

OT: the only thing I can think of is: how much $$$?

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What if we have lots of hair :(
    What about stronkingly huge afros? RACISTS.

Urgh. Don't use it after the greasy head kid. Hope this thing is coated in silver nano.

18. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

Now I can finally eat hot dogs and play games at the same time.

I like the dance pad & Wii remote flailing more than the potential to sit on my butt even more.

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Eating hotdogs. :D That would probably cause the onscreen character to jump all around flinging their arms.

Who flails their arms all around anyways? :confused:

I'm going to wear one of these in public with my Wiimotes in custom made holsters, and a bluetooth headset in each ear.

<]=)

20. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, funny as hell when I'm playing Excite Truck and I'll get a random itch on my nose :D ah it's all fun.

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe