Something weird..it is Mac OS X or my Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tangerine, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

Something weired happen when I'm using Mac OS X. When I customize a folder, I choose a color background for the color. But when I close and open it, it doesn't remember the color and it just change to some other color. eg: I put a dark purple color background for the folder background, when close and re-open it become green.

What is going on? Is my Mac OS all fudge up? Or is my mac pro acting up?:confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weirdness. Have you tried restarting? Do you have any other theme changing hacks installed? :)

3. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

Yeah I try restarting, I try using another user account and it still does it. The only application that I can think of is Shapeshifter, but I'm not using it. How do I get rid of it? Eithor that or I think Mac OS permission is messup.:(

Ok I uninstall Shapeshifter and it still not render the problem. I think I may have to re-install Mac OS X. This really sucks.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it comes to a reinstall, do an Archive & Install. It's quick and relatively painless. It technically doesn't require you to back up, but do so all the same. :)

5. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

Ok I have try re-installing Mac OS X Archive and Install preserved user account. no good. Then I try Archive and Install not preserved user account and still same problem.

Umm...Is this a Mac OS X bugs? Can someone verify this for me? Created a new folder, then customize it with a solid color such as moroon. Close it and open it again. Does it change into another color? I don't know what’s going on. Would it make any different if I wipe the entire drive to re-install OS X. This is really bugging me. :(

Thanks!

6. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

How do you customize the color? Could you go through the steps and post them here? I assume you're not talking about giving it a colored label?

7. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

Oh sorry. No, not a color label. Solid color background for the folder. Get Info on the folder, then select color and choose a solid color for it.

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I just tested this and it seems to work fine for me (MB CD 2GHz).

edit: Ack, no it doesn't. I thought he meant color labels. :eek:

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

As you traverse through the folder food chain, the 'colored' parent color will change to grey with your chosen color in a ring around the arrow. When you move back up the tree and get back to the parent, it will once again glow in its newly colored horizontal bar.

10. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

Maybe this will explain better what's going on...And what I'm trying to do.

Open a folder, use view option to customize it. I choose snap to grid, show icons info, etc.

[​IMG]

Then I choose a background color for it, which is a solid color Maroon. After the color been choose, I close everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then this is what I got. Not only does it not remember my color I have choose for it, but it change to a different color. Also I notice it doesn't even show the folder have snap to grid option. :(

Maybe someone with a Mac Pro try this? I have try re-installing Mac OS X but it doesn't make the problem go away. I'm only using the Arhive and Install method though. I don't want to choose the last option if I have to, which is earase the entire drive and install press.

11. akadmon macrumors 68010

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I fail to see why it is so important to you to have a certain bg color when viewing a particular folder.

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Most unhelpful reply ever. ;) If a feature exists, it's reasonable to expect it to work properly. Which it does on my G5, so I have no idea what the problem is. (Which makes this the second-most unhelpful reply ever....)

--Eric

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Eric I tried the same thing on my iMac C2D and it did the same thing so I'm guessing it's OS X not you computer.

Unfortunately the problem is if you customize one single folder color you will need to do the same to all other folders since you might have another folder customized to "Use for all folders"

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Have you set the background color for any other windows? Note the options "this window only" and "all windows." You might try setting all windows to white, and working from there.

15. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I see the same behaviour on my MBP. I guess it's a bug in OSX.

Edit: I did some more tests: Whenever the folder settings window is openend while the folder is open, the background switches the color next time the folder is opened.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Definitely a bug, and has to be a recent one, as this did NOT happen in the past when I've used it.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Doesn't happen to me now. Could it be a bug in the Intel version of OSX?

FWIW, this information is maintained in the invisible .DSStore file.

18. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yeah, as I said I have a G5, and I'm using 10.4.8, so if it's a bug it must be only the Intel version. Which makes sense, as it looks like a byte-swapping bug. The maroon color is RGB 128,0,64 and it's getting switched to RGB 0,128,64, which is green, obviously. If that's the case, then if you choose lemon, it should stay lemon. (Since lemon is 255,255,0.)

--Eric

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Very nicely spotted! You should fill out a bug report and send it to Apple.

:)

20. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

:eek: If i had read the post closely enough, I would've noticed the OP was talking about folder backgrounds and not color labels. So yeah, the same thing happens on my CD MB.

21. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

You know, part of the reason I like Mac OS X is the ability to Customize anything you want. Just because you don't use the feature, and find it useless. This doesn't mean everyone else don't use this feature.

BTW, does people on Intel Mac get the same window result as me? Beside from the different color change, I have also notice that the Snap To Grid icon isn't showing after the customize. I know it's there but it invisible. If you click on one of the item in the windows it appear again. I'm just glad it's Mac OS X itself and I don't have to earase my Hard Drive. Thank you for all the helpful reply. :)

[​IMG]

22. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I've noticed this bug ever since I grabbed my MacBook and have never been able to reproduce it on my PowerPC iMac. I have the folders background set to a baby blue, but on occasion the shared folders -- or even local folders -- will change to a purplish blue.

My baby blue color is a custom color set at RGB 187, 206, 225 and the color it reverts to is RGB 114, 89, 224

MacBook is my local root, and Media is an AFP share from the iMac. On the iMac these both appear just fine. I think Eric5h5 has an intriguing hypothesis. And I have no haxies installed, and am using a modified resource file to get rid of the brushed metal -- it does this with or without that modified resource file.

Attached Files:

23. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It was an intriguing hypothesis, but your RGB numbers pretty much killed it. :( Alas, poor hypothesis, we barely knew ye....

--Eric

24. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I just reproduced this problem on my MBP, with no haxies, mods at all. Switches back and forth between two colors when you re-open windows...

25. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I think you've found part of the bug, if not the bug. See, what's odd about this is that for me it's related to "This Window Only" being set. Secondly, it will flip back and forth between two colors -- usually the two reversed colors -- ONLY when the View Options inspector window is shown. Otherwise it stays at one or the other.

And when I manually set "This Window Only"'s color, it usually reverts to some other color. It seems that if I manually set the window's color and keep the "This Window Only" it jumps to some arbitrary color, but if I haven't set a color in there, and it's pulling from the iMac, it reverses the R and G of what it's supposed to be.

Here's a video demonstrating this (I'd recommend an opt-click and "Download Linked File" as it is a 1280x800 res movie). The windows jump around rather quickly and the video is highly compressed as I wanted to keep file sizes down. Mainly all that you should see here is that when the inspector window is open, the colors flip. When the inspector window isn't open, it maintains the previous color. When a color isn't set in "This Windows Only" (pulling from the network share .ds_store) it flips the R and G. When a color is manually set, then, it flips between two arbitrary colors. (I just noticed that the crayon picker was on my secondary display in this video, but this is set near the end of the video).

I am inclined to believe you oughta write up a bug report and file it to https://bugreport.apple.com