Something wrong here I think

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 31, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3763885.stm

Shouldn't the Israelis be paying this bill?

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Must have been some pretty high-priced houses. "Dozens"? "$16 million"?

Gets sorta expensive, sending suiciders against Israelis. Heck, it cost Egypt and Syria whole armies!

'Rat

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Yes, cause that's exactly what happened. Egypt and Syria sent "suiciders" to kill the women and children of Isreal, thus starting the six day war.

Somebody needs a refresher in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

Taft

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

BTW, if you would have read the rest of the article, you would have noticed this line:

This works out to $21,000 per residence assuming one family lived per residence. Those "houses" could have been multi-unit buildings. From pictures I've seen of the occupation, it looks as though many buildings there are large multi-unit buildings.

As a comparison, if you knocked down even one dozen buildings in a dense residential area in Chicago, you'd likely cause over $20 million in damages. A 3-4 story, 30 unit building would cost you several million to put up.

Anyway, I think this is a pretty petty argument in light of the horrible violence from both sides in this. Interesting how some people can assign blame completely to the Palestinians.

Whatever.

Taft

5. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

My question would simply be were those tunnels real or a figment of Israels imagination. If they were real then my answer would be --- Tough.

If Palestinians won't police their own to stop terrorism then Israel has to. At least until they finish the wall.

Bigger question why havn't they finished the wall yet?

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Relax, Taft. I remember full well how the '67 and '73 wars went...

One of my favorite memories from 1967 is of the televised meetings at the UN. Abba Eban drew himself up to his full 5'-4" and commented to the mass of scowling Arab delegates, "There are three million Jews. There are 200 million Arabs. Is the distinguished delegate from Egypt trying to say we surrounded them?"

Definitely one of the better moments in UN history...

:), 'Rat