something wrong if safari crashes every day?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Jan 11, 2007.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hi everybody,

I've written before about this....but I just wondered if it's possible that there is a hardware problem if Safari crashes every day? I would say it crashes about once or twice a day. It's not really a problem; I just reopen it. I've gone through tech support with Apple, emptying the cache, resetting it, etc.

So, is this just a Safari thing, or could it mean something else?

Also, if I posted one of the error reports, would anyone here know how to analyze it? I asked an Apple tech if they could and he said no, but I send them all to Apple, they must have hundreds from me alone by now.

BTW, I have a C2D 17" iMac 2ghz stock config

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any plug ins? What sort of sites does it crash on? Are you having the same trouble with other browsers or internet-related apps? :)

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Yes, I do have plugins. I have none in my home folder, but 21 in the main Library folder.

I took a screen shot, so you can compare, see if any of them look unusual, or problematic.

I notice that Safari crashes mostly when I have multiple windows open and when it is loading a page that has Flash.

I tried Firefox and used it a bit and it also crashed a few times when I used it.

Let me know if any of those plug-ins look bad. Can I just delete them?

Attached Files:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It has been known to struggle with Flash. I guess you could try reinstalling the latest version. As for your current plug ins, I think Unity and RealPlayer stand out as the only difference between yours and mine. Maybe try running without them in that folder for a while. Quit Safari, drag them out of the folder and then restart Safari and see how that goes. If it doesn't help then reinstalling them or simply dragging the plug ins back to the Internet Plug-In folder should get everything back for you. :)

5. kironin macrumors 6502

kironin

Safari crashes on me every day and I don't have plugins.

Without Force Quit it would be unusable.

Guaranteed to crash if you don't quit it daily and constantly clear the cache. It gave me the spinning rainbow rasberry twice today.

What piece of crap.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sites are you seeing? It's not normal for it to crash every day? Even if you don't have any third party plugins, do you have any theme changers or system hacks installed? Which version of Safari are you running?

7. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

I gave up on Safari, it crashed a lot, sucked up 100% system resources on some pages, doesn't adhere to web color standards, has CSS bugs, and has cache problems (refuses to flush).