something's wrong with safari's use of virtual memory

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmaniacttt, Jan 30, 2006.

1. macmaniacttt macrumors member

hey guys,

my 12" powerbook 1.33ghz 728mb memory has starting to get a little bit sluggish. I opened activity monitor and saw safari and was shocked! Any ideas? No windows were open at all...

i'm running 10.4.4.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/8051006295.png

you have to click in the address bar and hit enter after clicking the link - regular reloading doesn't work.

thanks,

d

[EDIT:] I quit Safari and reopened it and now the virtual memory is down to about 225. maybe the more you surf (I had been surfing for quite a few cumulative hours without quitting) the memory builds up... nah that doesn't make too much sense. If anyone knows, that would be great.

2. Sogo macrumors 6502

Yea, i realized just a little while ago that safari was using just about as much real ram and about 1.2gb of virtual memmory. Beats me why it happend...I turned it off for a while and then opened it. It has died down a bit.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Something is wrong with you/your Safari. Mine has been open and used heavily all day and I'm only using "303.11MB of VM". Personally I don't fully trust the numbers being put forth there, but that's another story. Have you Quit Safari and re-opened it? Have you cleared your Safari cache?

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I've had Safari open for a few days. Real Memory's at 241.8 MB, Virtual Memory's at 1.81 GB. This is with 1.25 GB of system memory. I've noticed that ever since I've had a Mac, Safari never really gives up any of the memory it takes unless you quit it.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm on safari 2.0.2.

all previous versions used huge amounts of virtual memory. i tend to let safari run, leave a good number of windows open and use lots of tabs. previously, it wasn't uncommon for safari to use in excess of 3 gig of VM.

but now, even after running it for a week or so, it's around 400 meg.

one thought i'd had is that they'd plugged a few memory leaks. i do notice, however, that i'm getting more beachballs than i used to and they're lasting longer. shouldn't be my machine: dual 2 GHz g5 w/ 2 gig of RAM.

crappy programming, i guess.

6. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Safari does seem to use alot of Virtual Memory, honestly I prefer FireFox you can get the same skin which basically means it looks like Safari anyway, only difference is that it takes about 200mb of Virtual Memory which isnt alot.