Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
I looked around to see if anyone else is having the same problem, and I tried a bit of googling.

I've had my iPod mini for almost a month now, and I've had zero problems until just now. I recently downloaded iTunes 5. Last night, I bought the new Devendra Banhart album and the new Ashlee Simpson single at the iTMS. I copied them onto my iPod without any trouble, and they show up on my iPod after disconnect. However, they won't play. When I try to play the Devendra album, it skips through all the titles quickly and then plays the first song on the next album (not purchased at iTMS).

Does anyone know what's causing this? Have any suggestions for me to try? In case it's relevant, I have an iBook G4 with Tiger (10.4.2), using iTunes 5, and I have it set to not automatically update my iPod (since my iTunes library is over 26 GB).

Thanks for any help :)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
GreeneGirl7 said:
I looked around to see if anyone else is having the same problem, and I tried a bit of googling.

I've had my iPod mini for almost a month now, and I've had zero problems until just now. I recently downloaded iTunes 5. Last night, I bought the new Devendra Banhart album and the new Ashlee Simpson single at the iTMS. I copied them onto my iPod without any trouble, and they show up on my iPod after disconnect. However, they won't play. When I try to play the Devendra album, it skips through all the titles quickly and then plays the first song on the next album (not purchased at iTMS).

Does anyone know what's causing this? Have any suggestions for me to try? In case it's relevant, I have an iBook G4 with Tiger (10.4.2), using iTunes 5, and I have it set to not automatically update my iPod (since my iTunes library is over 26 GB).

Thanks for any help :)

Hm, I've not experienced this problem first hand, but some things I would verify are that you have logged into the iTMS since you upgraded to iTunes 5, that you can play the songs on your computer after the upgrade (ie your machine is still authorized), and then I would try running the iPod updater program from Apple's website in order to wipe clean your iPod and see if that helps.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
mrgreen4242 said:
Hm, I've not experienced this problem first hand, but some things I would verify are that you have logged into the iTMS since you upgraded to iTunes 5, that you can play the songs on your computer after the upgrade (ie your machine is still authorized), and then I would try running the iPod updater program from Apple's website in order to wipe clean your iPod and see if that helps.

Thanks for response.

Yep, I actually made the purchase using iTunes 5. And yes, I've been able to play it on my computer.

I'm currently downloading the iPod Updater. When you say "wipe clean", does that mean that running the updater will erase the music on my iPod? Thanks for your help.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
GreeneGirl7 said:
Thanks for response.

Yep, I actually made the purchase using iTunes 5. And yes, I've been able to play it on my computer.

I'm currently downloading the iPod Updater. When you say "wipe clean", does that mean that running the updater will erase the music on my iPod? Thanks for your help.

Yes, the updater will restore your iPod to factory status - no music, all your settings will be reset to the defaults. You'll have to resync everything onto it. You may want to try creating some playlists, a couple smart/automatic ones and at least one manual list to have automatically sync up to your iPod, but that's another discussion.

Anyways, wiping it clean stinks, but it's probably the first thing that Apple will tell you to do if you called them. Any iPod should be able to play music from any iTMS account as long as the machine transfering the song to the iPod is authorized to play that file. There may be some limits on that, though. I think that a single iPod can only have files from up to 5 different iTMS accounts on it. Do you iTMS purchased music from other peoples accounts on your iPod? That may cause a problem like this, but as I said, I've never encountered it personally.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
mrgreen4242 said:
Yes, the updater will restore your iPod to factory status - no music, all your settings will be reset to the defaults. You'll have to resync everything onto it. You may want to try creating some playlists, a couple smart/automatic ones and at least one manual list to have automatically sync up to your iPod, but that's another discussion.

Anyways, wiping it clean stinks, but it's probably the first thing that Apple will tell you to do if you called them. Any iPod should be able to play music from any iTMS account as long as the machine transfering the song to the iPod is authorized to play that file. There may be some limits on that, though. I think that a single iPod can only have files from up to 5 different iTMS accounts on it. Do you iTMS purchased music from other peoples accounts on your iPod? That may cause a problem like this, but as I said, I've never encountered it personally.

My iPod is definitely up-to-date, and I only use my own iTMS account. I guess I just have to try the restore... Well, at least I only have 4GB on there.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
mrgreen4242 said:
You may want to try creating some playlists, a couple smart/automatic ones and at least one manual list to have automatically sync up to your iPod, but that's another discussion.

I'm interested to hear more. Is there an advantage to this? :)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
GreeneGirl7 said:
I'm interested to hear more. Is there an advantage to this? :)

Well, I have a 4gb mini and about 8 gbs of music and 8gbs of audio books. I have my iPod set to autosync up a few playlists, but not the whole library.

The playlists are: My Top Rated (smartlist of the highest rated 100 songs), My Most Played (smartlist of 40 most played songs), Recently Played (smartlist of any song played in the last 2 weeks, I think I capped it at 100 songs), Recently Added (smartlist of the newest 50 or so songs in my library), a smartlist of songs that have been played more than 2 times, but not in the last 2 weeks (gets old favorites), then I have 2 manual playlists - one of songs that I want to absolutely for sure to be on the iPod regardless if they don't make it to one of my playlists, and another of audiobooks I am listening too.

Everytime I plug in my iPod to charge it get's updated with whatever those lists look like at that moment. That way I am sure to get all the stuff I am currently listening too, my newest music, my favorites, and older favorites I may have forgotten about. Plus the music I have 'forced' on there and also audio books I am in the middle of. This way I can update my iPod lists anytime, not just when it's connected, and it is updated on it's own while charging. It's the best way to get a smallish portion of your music onto an iPod not big enough to hold your whole library, imo.

Hope all that made sense. :)

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
mrgreen4242 said:
Well, I have a 4gb mini and about 8 gbs of music and 8gbs of audio books. I have my iPod set to autosync up a few playlists, but not the whole library.

The playlists are: My Top Rated (smartlist of the highest rated 100 songs), My Most Played (smartlist of 40 most played songs), Recently Played (smartlist of any song played in the last 2 weeks, I think I capped it at 100 songs), Recently Added (smartlist of the newest 50 or so songs in my library), a smartlist of songs that have been played more than 2 times, but not in the last 2 weeks (gets old favorites), then I have 2 manual playlists - one of songs that I want to absolutely for sure to be on the iPod regardless if they don't make it to one of my playlists, and another of audiobooks I am listening too.

Everytime I plug in my iPod to charge it get's updated with whatever those lists look like at that moment. That way I am sure to get all the stuff I am currently listening too, my newest music, my favorites, and older favorites I may have forgotten about. Plus the music I have 'forced' on there and also audio books I am in the middle of. This way I can update my iPod lists anytime, not just when it's connected, and it is updated on it's own while charging. It's the best way to get a smallish portion of your music onto an iPod not big enough to hold your whole library, imo.

Hope all that made sense. :)

Yep. Makes sense! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.