songs from itunes to phone??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikklejo, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ikklejo macrumors regular

why is it that, i have brought songs from itunes and when i transfer (either bluetooth or data cable)them to my nokia N80 they will not play saying unknown format??
    Its so annoying, cos when i put songs on my phone froma cd they are fine?
    Any help please:)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Songs purchased from the iTunes store are protected AAC files and can only be played on authorized devices. The only authorizable devices at the moment are Macs and Windows PCs running iTunes, iPods, and phones with the iTunes software built into them (e.g. ROKR).

So it's the DRM that is stopping you.

*looks both ways*

If you really need the song on your phone, get a CD-RW or CD-R, burn it as an audio track, and then re-rip it. The re-ripped copy will work on the phone fine.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

The only way you could play them is if you still have iTunes 7.1 you can use fairgame downloadable here, you could also try Hymn-Project or maybe just good old burning to a cd and re-importing! This always gets rid of the DRM and encodes it in whatever format is default for you!

Then drag and drop/or send via bluetooth to your phone!

Thanks

Archie

4. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

:D 'evil laugh'
    I like it, I like it.
    If only i thought like that. Thanks very much.
    Jo

5. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

UMMMM, Still not working they are .mp4 music files and still says bad file format when i bluetooth them to my phone? I have tried changing it to .mp3 but stil wont play?
    What am i doing wrong??
    Thanks

6. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

Because i am having a nightmare doing this. Does anyone know a internet site i could go to, to get The Clash, Career Opportunities and White Riot as .mp3/realtones songs to send to my phone?
    Thanks
    Jo

7. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

I have iTunes 7.0.2 should fairgame still work as it goes so far and says something is wrong and i have to quit it?
    Thanks

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

In iTunes-Preferences-Advanced you should be able to change the default import to mp3. Then you can go to the songs in the main iTunes window and right click for the option to convert the songs to mp3. Just renaming the file won't work (if that's wat you're doing).

9. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

I was just renaming them, opps!!
    But i did that and i copied them for my cd to itunes into a playlist and it says i cannot convert into a mp3 as it is a protected file!!??

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Hmmm.....

Try this
    Burn the tunes to make an audio cd
    Eject the cd and insert it again
    Import the songs in mp3 format (use the preferences thing I mentioned earlier)
    Send them to your phone.

Hopefully that will work.

11. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

Why is it such hard work doing this, i burnt another cd of the songs and ejected it and put it back in, but it does not give me the option to import the songs as normal cds do!!!!!!!!! Its driving me mad now:confused:
    Thanks for your help

12. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

To save me from pulling my hair out where can i go to download the songs i want other then BL***Y iTunes?
    Thanks

13. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

And this is exactly why I don't buy songs from iTunes...

Since you already own a legal copy I suppose there's no harm mentioning allofmp3
    I used it to rebuy copies of casettes I own - easier than trying to import them.

14. calculus Guest

calculus

What do you mean it does not give you the option to import? What happens when you click the 'Import' button at the bottom right?

Are you definitely burning the tracks as an audio CD?

I can't see any reason why the steps that j26 suggests would not work.

15. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

when i out cd into the mac it opens itunes and goes into the left hand panel under devices, no option to import songs?
    Sorry about this just i thought it would work too can t understand why it wont, i have burnt it onto a normal cd as i always do?
    Thanks

16. calculus Guest

calculus

That's where CDs show up in the latest version of iTunes. Just click the import CD button at the bottom right and you should be OK. Make you sure that you have your preferences set to import as mp3.

17. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

Oh my God!!! I have done it:)
    It was something very stupid which i didnt change and i feel a little embarassed about it.
    (in the preferences of iTunes i didnt have it set to burn a audio cd it was set to data cd or dvd, so when i put the cd back in it didnt reckonise it a a audio cd:rolleyes: )
    My apologises to everyone for wasting there time, but thank you for all your help.
    Jo