songs from pc ipod to mac???

Discussion in 'iPod' started by McDLT, Aug 13, 2006.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

can i rip songs from an ipod that was formatted for a pc onto a mac? thanks.

2. BootstrapMetal macrumors member

I was going to create a thread to ask the same question. :D

I read the "Recovering Songs from an iPod" page, but it didn't awnser the question. :(

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Using the techniques used for recovery you can take all of the songs from an iPod to the hard drive of your machine, accomplishing your goal. (For all but a Mac formatted drive on a Windows box no additional software is required, unless you want to use iPodRip or Senuti or the like).

If there are protected M4P tracks from iTMS on the iPod, you will be able to copy them, but you won't be able to play them unless you know the username/password for the iTMS account associated with the files.

B

4. BootstrapMetal macrumors member

Ok, good! I won't have to make a ridiculous number of backup CD-Rs. :D
    Thanks for your time. Oh and one last question can I extract windows data files from the iPod such as .RARs and pictures using the finder?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Anything you put on the iPod in disk mode on Windows (RARs, JPEGs, etc.) can be read on a Mac. It's just a FAT32 external drive, with some hidden directories for the music.

Though it doesn't assure you that you can actually use the data once it's there. (For one thing you'll need a RAR utility, which doesn't come with OS X).

B

6. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

7. BootstrapMetal macrumors member