Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
mkrishnan said:
Not exactly sure if it's what you mean, but the Roots have a record called Things Fall Apart that has some parallels to its namesake (the novel of the same name by Chinua Achebe).

SUCH a good album.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Toreador93 said:
Rush's "Xanadu" is based on Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "Kubla Khan". A lot of their songs are very SciFi, so I wouldn't be surprised if their songs had some relation to any SciFi books.

Speaking of Rush, there's "Rivendell" from the album "Fly By Night".

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
mkrishnan said:
I think Killing an Arab has a literary source, but I don't think it has anything to do with Heinlein's novel. At least, there's no major connection I can see.... Of course, the themes of estrangement are similar. But this character is estranged because of what he does... Heinlein's Valentine is estranged because of what he knows, I think.

It's referring to The Stranger by Albert Camus. Existential goodness.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Babooshka by Kate Bush too.

Or just about anything else by Kate Bush. I'm quite sure Cloudbusting is inspired by The Book Of Dreams by Peter Reich.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Pretty much all Power Metal is based on LotR, a Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden, War Of The Worlds by Jeff Wayne... probably some other stuff in my collection that I can't think of

I'd laugh if Master Of Puppets was influenced by Ghost In The Shell, but it probably wasn't (that's was one of the evil guy's names)

If we're doing songs from movies, then you could put down Cannibal Corpse's entire works

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
SharksFan22 said:
The Police - "Don't Stand So Close to Me"
This might be a bit of a stretch, but their song "Wrapped Around Your Finger" also has a reference to Scylla and Charybdis, two sea monsters from Greek mythology.

And for even more of a stretch, Squeeze's song "Pulling Mussels from the Shell" has a reference to a Harold Robbins paperback. ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Just thought of another one: Kenny Loggins' song "Return to Pooh Corner", based on the "Winnie the Pooh" stories by A. A. Milne.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.