Songwriting application?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Mal, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any songwriting applications? Obviously, I can just use any text editor (I've typically been just using TextEdit for the simplicity), but it'd be nice if there was a program in which I could write lyrics and then add chords or other musical notation easily. I'm thinking if each line of text automatically had a line above it in which you could simply click to place a chord, and it would even maybe display the chord fingerings or similar information.

If not, any programmers out there who would want to work with me on developing one? I don't know how to write software currently, and probably don't have time to learn, but I'd love to see something like this come about.

EDIT: Just found MasterWriter, which looks interesting. It's $200 though, and while I'm going to grab the demo and play around, it looks like it does way more than I'm interested in.

jW

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Mal
    thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I've seen those. They're for writing out music sheets. I'm looking for something geared more towards writing lyrics and then just adding a chord chart to them. Thanks, though.

jW

4. macrumors member

dauber

5. macrumors 68020

BrianBaughn

You could do it with a spreadsheet...like this.