Sonic 360 versus PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 16, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ed in a recent thread started what was a discussion on Sonic the Hedghog.

In that thread there was a discussion about the versions, some under the assumption they were identical, others that the PS3 version was better ?

Well to solve all your mysterys.. IGN Insider have a head to head. As a lot of you aren't paid up members I'll post it here for you. ;)

2. darkwing macrumors 65816

Considering the game was made for the 360 and then a quick port was done for the PS3, I'd hope it was better on the 360. (I won't be buying it as it seems like a crappy game. Ed can enjoy it all he wants. :p)

It's interesting though that a game made for a triple core CPU could run so easily (albeit with a few problems) on a single core CPU system. Makes me wonder if the 360 is seeing all three cores often used. Most of the jobs they might do are not necessarily suitable for the SPEs.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

probably not. there will be the odd exception that utlises all three cpus to their best ability, just like there will be a few ps3 exceptions where the spu's are fully utilised, but for the most part developers are bone lazy and probably wont bother making full use of either console :eek:

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I noticed it a few times with Gamespots 360/PS3 graphics comparison article, but why do 360 games seem to have stronger contrast? Or is it just down to the cables? Looks like Sonic even has a slight difference in contrast too.

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Well, as we all will agree 360 has a larger userbase, meaning games get made for 360 and ported to PS3.
    That would lead one to believe that the 360 will be the PS3's biggest "bottleneck" unless something changes(like marketshare).
    But that also elludes to the assumption that PS3 is indeed more powerful(which not all of us agree on)
    But, if you look at PS3 exclusive games, they are generally look a lot better than the games ported from 360.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats normally how all games work...and unless something happens fast things might stay this way. As you said Xbox 360 has the biggest market share, so dev will most likely make games for it. Then 3rd party PS3 games willl look equal to or worse then the same game on Xbox 360, which will drive sales of the PS3.

Hopefully some 1st/2nd party games will raise PS3's market share, which will inturn get my 3rd party dev on its side, atleast that what I'd aim for if I were Sony

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Of course...exclusives always look better than multiplatform games. But XBox 360 exclusives look better than PS3 exclusives as well (Gears of War vs Resistance)...but that's not really fair since PS3 only has, like, one exclusive good game out right now. We'll judge that next year.

9. LukeW macrumors member

No one should own the game anyway, it is the worst excuse for a Sonic game that I have ever had the misfortune to play. Anyone who has fond memories of the 16bit days should avoid this like the plague, and anyone who likes platform games where you dont learn a levels layout by simply dieing enough times to learn when to jump at an exact moment or point in the exact directiion required, or must avoid exploring despite the games open encouragement of it by placing hidden routes and bonuses because it will lead to inevitable repeatable death due to the many many bottomless pits, or the camera which will swing right around leading you to direct the character you once thought was going forward right back again and into, yes, a bottomless pit, or the superspeed sections where Sonic speeds up to a point where you cant even control the game anymore and you die by running into trees, and the crappy plot which I think anyone who is a zooaphile will enjoy... etc.
    Thankfully I only got to play it, a friend was foolish to think that it would be good. Dont make the same mistake! ;)

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I wouldn't be surprised if only 1 or 2 of the 360s cores are in use - I have a feeling that none of the first-gen games used more than the 1

On topic, Sonic should have stayed in 2D

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm pretty sure there was a semi-official confirmation that all of the first crop of 360 games were purely single-core. That would suggest games like Kameo (which is visually very nice), Burnout Revenge, and even Oblivion were only using 1 core, pretty impressive.

As for Sonic, it would be great if Sega would release a brand new 2D Sonic for XBLA. :D

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah oblivion is limited to one core on a pc and as the development sdk between the two is fairly similar it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest that it too is only one core on the 360.

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Makes me excited about the potential for Elder Scrolls V, although I still haven't finished Oblivion, heh.... too busy earning fame and trying to buy a house in every town, etc etc... Level 20 Assassin :)

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Oh gosh they screwed up the name of sonic....everytime I hear a sonic title now my eyes tick. The two versions look a like to me...boring. The one for the Wii might be better though but I'm not holding my breath.

Bless

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not purely single core, but most of the games started development on single core machines and only started adding some multithreaded stuff later in development, so they didn't use the other cores that well.

Oblivion was probably multicore. It wasn't really first crop, and it was extremely impressive visually.

Kameo started development as a GameCube game, remember. Then they moved it to XBox. Then XBox 360. The code base was probably entirely single-threaded. And it was launch.

Oblivion was given more time.