Sonic Review - PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by e²Studios, Feb 9, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My Amateur Mini Review (I haven't written many reviews, feel free to ask me questions)

Sonic The Hedgehog - PS3

The graphics are great: 720p Native, scales to 480p,720p, 1080i, 1080p
    Dolby Digital is sweet
    It uses PS3 hardware video scaler

In all fairness to those reading this mini-review I haven't played a Sonic game since the first one on the Genesis. I am also a platformer junkie. Overall my thoughts are If you liked past Sonic games I would go for it.

What i liked (So-Far):
    Classic Sonic but with a 3D twist (SPECTACULAR in game graphics)
    Cut-Scenes were enjoyable and not over-acted. They brought you in to the game/story.
    Challenging game-play
    Soundtrack was audibly pleasing
    Game-Play was fast paced and really enjoyable, i was really "in to" the game while playing.
    Quick learning curve with adequate in game assistance

What I didn't like (So-Far):
    Save points are few and far between, when you die sometimes you have to re-complete a couple "stages" in order to get back to where you died. There are little lamppost things but if you run out of Sonics, usually your last save point was before you started the 1st set of the stages. While i don't love this, it does make for challenging game-play.

The camera can sometimes get a bit clumsy, nothing to cause me to lose a Sonic (i do that fine myself with no help), but enough to annoy me for a split second while it corrects itself.

The voices are coming from the L/R mains, instead of the center channel. I'm picky on this, maybe too picky

Sometimes you can get some flicker in the images, but its nothing horrible or as bad as the IGN review made it out to be.

I see now why the reader reviews are higher than the media reviews, the game is a lot of fun. I am happy i bought it, worth every penny imo

Well thats my short review for now, I am not too far in the game but if people here would like i can post anything new whether it be positive or negative and add to my mini-review.

2. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

good to hear I'm not the only platform junkie. It seems to be a fading style. Anyway, thanks for the review. I was very excited about this game (for the 360) when I heard about it but after the absolutely terrible reviews (some of the worst I've ever read) I couldn't pay the price tag. Are these reviews a result of the fact platformers don't interest people anymore? I've read the loading times are terrible and get in the way, the camera stinks, story blows, blah blah blah. Does this game feel like a good old fashion fun platformer?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This game is awful...really really bad. Not worth $5 let alone $60.

4. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

I have to agree, I have the 360 version and it's a steaming pile of you know what. I have 4-5 other Sonic games and apart from the first 2 the rest have gone downhill pretty rapidly.

Maybe the PS3 version has been updated but I highly doubt it. Maybe it gets better after the first crappy little town you start off in but I have better things to waste my time on.

Matt

5. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I'd be curious to know if you've actually sat down and played this particular title on the PS3 at all. It amazes me when people talk trash about a game that they have never played and just believe the media reviews.

To each their own i guess. I like platformers, this is a classic 3D platformer, it does a good job at keeping true to its Sonic roots, and the platformer roots.

For anyone that has a Fry's near them, Sonic is $49.99 in the Ad today.

Ed

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll see if a demo comes available for PS3 to try it.

The 360 demo was pretty awful. Looked great, but the camera was criminal.

But I'm glad your enjoying it anway Ed. :)

I really want a decent next gen platformer - and there's nothing on the PS3, 360 or Wii to fill that void yet. :( (well lara croft was alright on the 360)

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yup, played it at a friend's on 360 (I'm guessing it's pretty close to the PS3 version). It amazes me when people buy complete crap like this, just gives Sega an excuse I guess. I love platformers and early Sonic games and I've played just about every Sonic game, but Sonic 3D and his ****** friends need to die.

8. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Make a JPN account and you can download the Sonic Demo from the Japanese store. PM/IM me if you need help setting one up :)

Ed

9. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The 360 version is nothing like the PS3 version. The story is the same, but the experience and gameplay is lackluster to say the least compared to the PS3 version. I think there is also some varients to the storyline too (I read that somewhere), but i can't verify that as i havnet played the 360 version much more than the in store demo.

I forgot it didn't have <insertnintendoiphere> in it Sky Blue, of course you wouldnt like it....

10. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

I've never played lara croft but I would claim kameo and even lost planet are in this category. It is hard now to specifically define a platformer though.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The 360 version sucked a steamy pile so I'm not too sure of this one...Do they have a demo?

Bless

12. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

May I ask what you all mean by "platformer"? I have no idea.

13. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

This is a good explaination of all the different types of platformers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platformer

Ed

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm interested in sonic and the secret rings for the wii actually. let's see if it gets sonic back on the winning track.

but i would like to get a hold of sonic ps3 if i knew someone that had a ps3.

i'm a platform junkie, to say the least, it's my favorite genre of video games. mario for the wii should fill their hole when it comes out. i notice that platformers are going out of style, and it's a shame. i love them so much. it's what got me to love video games so many years ago in the early 90's.

and i think sonic heroes was the last decent sonic game, with shadow the hedgehog stinking on ice and apparently sonic next gen looks iffy right now...but that's another story.

15. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Thank you, Ed. That was a very helpful link. Now I have been educated. :)

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Do you have any references noting differences between the 360 and PS3 version? From what I understand the PS3 version was just a port of the 360 game...

17. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I'm looking for the references, they may be in my MBP history as i dont see them in my history here at work. It isnt a port though, I know that much :)

Ed

18. pcypert macrumors 6502

I'd love some good platformers. I kind of think of Kameo as one as well. I'm looking forward to Banjo K on the 360....really wish we could get another Crash Bandicoot or Oddworld (Oddworld team is making movies now?)

Paul

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Wow, I would be highly surprised if it wasn't a port. From what I've seen they have the same levels, etc. Surely Sega wouldn't spend the kind of money required to develop two entirely different games for platforms that share the same target audience.

Unless this is a throwback to SNES/Genesis (I'm looking at you, Aladdin)

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have a hard time believing you. I played the game running on an XBox 360 and a PS3 at E3; in fact, both systems were side by side in Sega's booth. They were identical, in fact I couldn't tell which was which without looking at which controller people were holding.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oddworld isnt going to happen as the company is no more.

Banjo has me wet with anticipation :D I love Rare games (Kameo, Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies)

Of course Mario Galaxy on the wii before the end of the year would be nice too.

22. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I love all the 3D and 2D Sonic games. I'm a big Sega fan.

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Mario Galaxy looks good but the platformer that has my attention is Super Paper Mario...It looks freakin sweet...Old school goodness with a new twist...