'Sonic The Hedgehog' Available Today on Apple TV, Sequels Coming Soon

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After getting ported to the iOS App Store in 2013, the original Sonic The Hedgehog is making its way back to the living room today with a launch on the Apple TV App Store (via TouchArcade). The game is essentially the remastered iOS version optimized for Apple TV, and will let fans play classic Sonic with the all-new Apple TV remote.

[​IMG]
    In addition to the release of the first game on Apple TV, a few more Sonic games will be following suit in the coming weeks. On March 24, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 will launch on tvOS, while fans will be able to download Sonic CD a week later on March 31.

Sonic The Hedgehog is available now from the tvOS App Store for $2.99. It's likely that the two upcoming games will be priced similarly.

Article Link: 'Sonic The Hedgehog' Available Today on Apple TV, Sequels Coming Soon

2. MonkeySee....
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

3. venomgt95
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

venomgt95

If only i had an Apple TV! I have them all on my iPod though.

4. brownpaw
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Are we going to have another iPad-like situation where everyone is going to re-release stuff for tvOS and then Apple decides that it can be part of the whole universal app thing too, but after you've already bought a lot of stuff twice?

5. DCYorke
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I'd like to point out that it's if you've bought it for iOS, you get it for free on tvOS.

6. oneMadRssn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

oneMadRssn

I don't know about this guys. I think the proper way to honor retro video games is through Miitomo.

</sarcasm>

7. machpost
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

machpost

The Apple TV 4 has such enormous, untapped potential when it comes to apps. Let's hope that we start to see more quality releases from established software companies.

8. ButteryScrollin
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

No, because TV apps (like Sonic) can already be universal if the dev chooses.

9. dearfriendx
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

10. Jeaz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Jeaz

It's nice to the Apple TV is finally picking up pace with new apps and games for it. It's been a fairly slow first couple of months but just last few weeks there's been Duck Tales, Giana Sisters and now Sonic.

11. DCYorke
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

No, Apple has already decided that apps can be bundled together as universal. It's up to the developer to opt into it, and in this case they have.

12. surfingarbo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

surfingarbo

My company are having layoffs at the moment. If I lose my job, I'm playing this game full time. I love Sonic!

13. Madmic23
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I guess this confirms that the Apple TV 4 has blast processing! :)

14. Kajje
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Kajje

Cool! Technology has gone up tremendously! Back in the early 90's it took Commodore 500 generations to come up with an Amiga that could run these games. Now 25 years later it took Apple just 4 generations to built a TV that can run these exact same games!

15. dannyyankou, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

dannyyankou
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I saw this on the App Store last night, right after I bought a Nimbus controller earlier in the day. I'm upset there's no controller support!

Edit: Didn't realize you could use a controller with it. There wasn't an icon, so I didn't think it was worth spending $3 on it.

16. Kajje
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Kajje

I might loose my job just because I'll play this game full time. Send me your CV, I'll forward it to the hiring department.

17. JohnApples
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Awesome (even though I down own an ATV4)! I have the classic sonic games on iOS, and this would be so much better to play them. Tis a shame my ATV3 won't be able to help me relive my childhood.

18. Dagless
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

Dagless

The proper way to honour retro games would be through the 3DS I imagine, considering the vast library of retro games available on it?

I imagine this would work great for Sonic, considering it's just a direction pad and a jump button. A little more simple than something like Mario World with its 6 action buttons.

19. davidg4781
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

davidg4781

Really?

How is the control with the remote? I was tempted to buy a new Apple TV but would had to be forced to use the remote.

20. pcote
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Haha! :) Good one! This reminds me of that Super Mario Kart comparison commercial...

21. acidsoul
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Apple TV will never replace consoles like PS, but these classic games and similar simple games could be the best market.
    Games were great when we only had d-pads and a couple of buttons, and although I enjoy current games with amazing graphics and flexibility with all those buttons, I believe most consumers will enjoy simple and addictive games on their big screen.
    If more classic games are coming, I hope they'll be remastered like Duck Tales.

22. Jessica Lares
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

What would really be news is if they finally gave us Sonic 3. ;)

23. aawil
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

aawil

24. ARK
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Are you listening Nintendo? Bring the classic Marios, Donkey Kong, RC Pro AM, etc!

25. SteveJobs2.0
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I don't know about anybody else, but I can't imagine playing this with the Apple TV remote. I find the touch surface to not be sensitive enough. It only seems to recognize slow and deliberate swipes.