Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Ok, conspiracy theorists...

Anybody have any speculation on why exactly Sony's president, Kunitake Ando, made such a brief and cryptic appearance at "the Macworld"?

Why would the president of such a major corporation come to make a short little speech about "nothing"?

Plus, I believe Steve did say there will be many opportunities for Apple and Sony to work together in the future.

:confused:

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
mac-er said:
Plus, I believe Steve did say there will be many opportunities for Apple and Sony to work together in the future.

:confused:

There you have it.

Some places they can work together - the SE phones are the only ones that sync properly, there are no Apple cameras etc. (although Sony still cameras are dire.)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I think Apple wanted to flex their muscle a little bit by showing that they had the power to play with the big boys... and even bring the big boys to Apple's table, instead of the other way around.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
Simple...
The PS3 won't have a hard drive, but it will sync flawlessly with any mac running tiger. The PS3 will act as a gateway to your mac from the livingroom. All your photos, songs, movies, will be available through the PS3 OS. Also, save games will be stored on the macs HDD.

I would also expect a cross-promotion. The PS3 comes with a coupon for $100 off any apple computer, and visa versa. That means one could get a PS3 (assuming they retail for $500) and a Mac Mini for $800.
Sony is leading the bandwagon for Blu-Ray (instead of HD-DVD). Steve said in the keynote last week that Apple was going to use Blu-Ray drives as soon as possible. Guess who's going to make those drives??? And the discs???
Finally, Apple has allied themselves with HP, Pepsi, and now Sony. Think how many "Vaio Macs" Sony could sell, given their dominance of the "cool gadget" market. Apple got to sell iPod's all over the place by using HP distribution channels. Apple gets to sell tons of Macs by using Sony's distribution channels. Cha-Ching!!!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I think this is really about the release of a new HD movie download store. The new H.264/AVC codec makes this very, very doable. There's a link over on Macbytes, but an excerpt:

"Throughout his keynote speech, Steve Jobs made it a point to sing the praises of a new high-compression/high-quality video codec named H.264/AVC. This codec is extremely scalable, and delivers excellent quality across the entire bandwidth spectrum -- from high definition television to video conferencing and 3G mobile multimedia.

As shown in a preview at the National Association of Broadcasters convention in April, video using H.264, encoded at full high definition resolution (1920x1080 24p) was played back between 6.8 and 8 Mbps at full HD quality while managing to cut the file size of the previous high resolution video standard (MPEG-2), in half. This can't be understated. H.264 changes everything you think you know about digital video."

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
decksnap said:
As shown in a preview at the National Association of Broadcasters convention in April, video using H.264, encoded at full high definition resolution (1920x1080 24p) was played back between 6.8 and 8 Mbps at full HD quality while managing to cut the file size of the previous high resolution video standard (MPEG-2), in half. This can't be understated. H.264 changes everything you think you know about digital video."
So what would a 90-120 minute movie run in filesize?

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Steve topped off the Sony presentation by saying:

"You know, we do work very closely with Sony on digital still cameras and these new camcorders, which is really great. And who knows, maybe someday, computers and music too."

Could Sony be BOWING out of the music download business? Maybe they'll finally get on the AAC/Fairplay bandwagon.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I think the ideas is that the movies would stream- not download the whole thing then watch it.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
dongmin said:
Steve topped off the Sony presentation by saying:

"You know, we do work very closely with Sony on digital still cameras and these new camcorders, which is really great. And who knows, maybe someday, computers and music too."

Could Sony be BOWING out of the music download business? Maybe they'll finally get on the AAC/Fairplay bandwagon.

That's quite possible, Sony's MP3 players aren't doing quite as well as I am sure they had hoped. The inability of several of their devices to play non-ATRAC files (notably the mini disc players and some of their harddrive based players) is pretty much a sales killer. My theory, however, is that Sony and Apple will cross license their DRM schemes to one another. Adding the ability to play AAC/Fariplay tracks to the Sony players will give them a good shot at increased sales, and while Apple won't likely see any spikes in iTunes downloads or iPods sales, what they WILL get is future legal protection.

The iPod and iTMS combo are starting to become pretty ubiquitos(sp?) and it's only a matter of time before other companis start to complain about monopoly status and feature bullying, etc. By having a whole seperate line of players that are iTunes compatible they can protect the store, and having a whole other store that iPod users can shop at, they protect the player as well. Makes sense in my head anyways ;-) .

Also, as Apple doesn't seem to have any sort of removable memory format preference as of yet, there could be a Sony Memory Stick readers built into future Macs. Especially a future Mac Mini type computer that is designed as a home entertainment type device.

The iTMS style movie store is HIGHLY plausable as well. Both players are probably hot to get into the business (Sony makes lots of devices that could be used to watch movies... high end cell phones, TiVos, PDAs, computers, PS2/3, PSP, etc, etc), and Apple has the market experience on online media download, and likely wants to expand on that.

It could be a big success if they price it right, and make it properly convienient... Ya, you guys with 30" ACDs will probably want to watch it on your computer, but the rest of us want to see it on our TV, and easily. If they can sell a movie that iDVD will burn to a DVD-r for your future use (I imagine they could even include CSS coding pretty easily) for, say, $10 for the newest releases, $8 for some bargain new releases, and all the way down to $4 for older movies, they could have a big seller. I'm not sure if a "rental watch at your computer" scheme would be wildly popular, unless...

Apple and Sony team up to make a PVR system that uses an OS X theme for the interface, integrates over a network to your Mac for video extraction, editing, etc, and can download movies from the iMovie Video Store, that stay on there till you watch it a few times (say three plays?) or 2 weeks, whichever is first. Those movies would of course be non extractale, etc, as they would be rentals.

The key to this device would be to develop an interface that is THEMED like OS X (which the iPods is, in a way - just more so in this case), and have the 'box' be super stylish, like all Apple products. iLief integration is a must; need to be able to pull video off the player (like the new TiVoToGo system), and just as importantly, move video TO it directly from iMovie. Let people edit up Bobbies baseball game video and store it on the PVR so they can show it to Grandma when she comes over for dinner. Price HAS to be $399 or less (you can buy a whole Apple computer for $499, so they need to get under that, imo), with no service fees (they'd have to make their cash from iMVS).

Wow, this is long, no one will read it =p

Rob

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
mrgreen4242 said:
Apple and Sony team up to make a PVR system that uses an OS X theme for the interface, integrates over a network to your Mac for video extraction, editing, etc, and can download movies from the iMovie Video Store, that stay on there till you watch it a few times (say three plays?) or 2 weeks, whichever is first. Those movies would of course be non extractale, etc, as they would be rentals.

The key to this device would be to develop an interface that is THEMED like OS X (which the iPods is, in a way - just more so in this case), and have the 'box' be super stylish, like all Apple products. iLief integration is a must; need to be able to pull video off the player (like the new TiVoToGo system), and just as importantly, move video TO it directly from iMovie. Let people edit up Bobbies baseball game video and store it on the PVR so they can show it to Grandma when she comes over for dinner. Price HAS to be $399 or less (you can buy a whole Apple computer for $499, so they need to get under that, imo), with no service fees (they'd have to make their cash from iMVS).

Wow, this is long, no one will read it =p

Rob

Read it... Hell, I'll quote it. ;)

This PVR box you speak of is already in development. It's called a PlayStation 3. See my above post. I hadn't thought about movie downloads, but the PS3-Mac connection wouldn't give you an "aqua-like" interface. It would be THE aqua interface.

Heck, maybe Apple will make the interface for the PS3. Next Gen consoles are going to change everything. Gates has publicly stated that the Xbox 2 is going to be all about inter-operability. Sony is going to do the same thing. Xbox=PC compatible----- PS3=PC/Mac compatible. Which would you buy???

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Maybe SONY is going to start selling the iPod line. ;)

Maybe SONY is going to use AAC and HE-AAC. ;)

Maybe SONY is going to integrate they line of digital cameras and camcorder into Apple software.

Maybe SONY is going to make a media centre with Mac OS X stripped down.

Maybe SONY, IBM and Apple are going to use the "Cell processor" in the new PM line.

A lot of possibilities. ;) :)

pawnstar

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
London
I think Microsoft and Dell should be worried if Sony and Apple are getting together.

I think IBM is going to benefit - everyone is using their chips Apple/Sony and MS -XB2

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
kuyu said:
The PS3 will act as a gateway to your mac from the livingroom. All your photos, songs, movies, will be available through the PS3 OS.

I like that idea... hook it up to your TV and stereo (hehe, you'd have to anyways...) and navigate though your movie/pictures folder with the PS3 remote: play MP4 movies and iPhoto slideshows... :D

this would be benificial for both: Sony could add usable features to its console and Apple would save R&D and still have a way to stream movies and pics to the living room (they wouldn't have to develop a kind-of "set top box" - remember the last time Apple did develop one...)

it won't happen though... :(

vSpacken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.