Sony/Apple...Hmmm...AAC support soon.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MrDavid, Feb 21, 2005.

1. MrDavid macrumors newbie

Sony is going to release a Walkman phone that supports AAC (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/15/sony_ericsson_walkman_phone/). Quote from the site: "AAC is the most likely candidate since, unlike MP3, it was designed from the start to support DRM. Tellingly, AAC support will also allow iTunes users who have ripped CDs into that format to copy their songs to the handset more easily." Makes me wonder if a "partnership" will really happen :) . Granted, it is not Apple's AAC but at least it is in a step in the right dirrection. AAC for connect is also expected.

2. frozenstar macrumors regular

The AAC format itself is a standard. It's the DRM wrapper that differs between companies.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can tell the difference between AAC and MP3, and to me AAC has much better quality

im happy to see more companies using this standard, and the move away from wma is always good, thats the worst one out there, MP3 is OK, but its not going to be around forever

Sony using AAC is a big thing, even though i doubt it will support FairPlay it is a step toward more companies and players using AAC
    (again Apple was ahead of the pack)

4. MrDavid thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of that. Considering the amount of Apple/Sony rumors, I just thought this little tid bit of info might relate to the possible Apple/Sony partnership ;).

Huge thing IMHO. Considering they seem to have a great love for their ATRAC. I'll be happy when Sony adds mp3 to all their players.