Sony bows to Apple format

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 9, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Supporting AAC is kind of a "duh" ... but I wonder if Sony got anything out of this, behind the scenes, from Apple? Pretty much anyone can easily support AAC...Fairplay is still locked....

3. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

it didn't say anything about songs from the iTMS, so I guess it means no compatibility for m4p files duh!

..unless if I'm actually wrong

4. Moderator emeritus

Well, it's not Apple's format but it's one they've been promoting. Still, if every player supports AAC, Apple might bend a bit and licence FairPlay but that's a very long way from now.

5. macrumors 6502a

Wait a sec, a semi decent smart business decision from Sony? I can't wait for them to go under. All they do is proprietary garbage that always fails. They will learn when they fold.

6. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Hopefully this is the first step to a PSP version of itunes.

7. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

While Sony does make a lot of proprietary stuff, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Much of their work has forced other developers to create technology. Plus, they've been involved with many products that you probably use.

What has Sony invented or helped invent:

Reel to Reel tape recorders
    transistor radios
    walkman - which single handedly made portable music popular
    DV format - which many digital video cameras use
    PSX/PS2 - one of the biggest reasons MS created the xbox and why we have next generation systems
    CD
    DVD

I'm sure I could thing of more if I tried.

8. macrumors 6502a

Nope didn't say it was a complete bad thing as I do realize better companies had to produce things that the average consumer really wanted and probably borrowed some designs from Sony or just improved them so that everyone could use them. Not only that, they really think that their products are superior to everyone's, and tack on a nice extra price tag on it. For example the latest PS3 which is subpar and a copy cat version of the other next gen consoles, with a hefty price tag to boot. They really do suffer from the Bose and Monster cable syndrone.

9. macrumors 6502

I agree everyone should quit giving sony such a hard time, everything in my house is pretty much sony, and for me it has always worked. The electronics industry would suck without sony.

10. macrumors 6502

Are you for real? Seriously, 'subpar' um have you used one yet? NO. But have u seen the specs for it? WELL OBVIOUSLY NO.... Coz it belts the 360 in terms of power and it has Blu-ray. This is the true next gen console. Have a look before u make frivilous comments.

11. macrumors 6502

The reel to reel wasn't originally Sony, and they stole the walkman, Sony was against DV till mid stream, Philips lifted almost all the development weight for CD.
    But Sony did help move lots of those items into the mainstream. It's actually sad that in the last several years Sony went on such a major slide. They sure aren't the company they once were.

12. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

All I never said Sony exclusively invented any of these things. They were just involved in them. And without their money and name brand, many of these things probably wouldn't have been as big as they where/are.

13. macrumors 6502a

I know the specs of both machines thanks, but in case you don't ill post them for you since you really think they are astronomical and BELTS THE 360!!!!!!!! lol, good times

scroll down a bit for the specs http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614783p1.html

Also, keep in mind the PS3 costs 200 bucks more then the 360, has technology that was borrowed or ancient (see controller) included besides the newer dvd player. The lower end machine does not include hdmi ports, wifi, smaller hard drive, no memory ports. In case you dont know what that means, not having the HDMI ports on the cheaper system, it simply means that they wont be able to do that sweet 1080p they keep boasting about. My intent was not to start a console wars thing in here, just simply stating my opinion, no reason to get your panties all wrinkled up.

Thats the reason people can't have civilized debates nowadays, people always jump all over other people for letting their opinions fly. Just so you know also, i'm not a 360 fan, or Wii fan, or ps3 fan, just a gaming fan, and i'll probably own all 3. I play for the games, not the hardware. Specs are just specs.

14. macrumors 68000

Yeah, a next-gen console with Blu-ray DVD standard is so subpar I can hardly believe they are actually releasing such garbage. Why bother?

They really should follow the 360 lead and package the too larger to be useful with button in the wrong place "Hamburger" controller - as cutting edge as it is - with it and charge extra for an add-on HD DVD player.

Fanboys...

Can we actually wait for the console to be released before bashing something you haven't even seen?

Think of it this way. The HD DVD players run $499.99 and the PS3 with Blue-ray and HDMI as well as the 60GB HD costs $599.99 - that's a pretty darn good deal if you ask my opinion.

But you didn't and already decided it is garbage because it has Sony's name on it.

Sheesh!

15. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Well it's more Apple than anyone else since it's AAC in a QT wrapper, and it is the default import format for iPod+iTunes. I'm shocked that Sony doesn't want to transcode it to ATRAC, as they have insisted on doing with MP3 for so long. :p

I've been saying for a while that the first thing most of the "iPod killers" need to do to rally get a foothold is to peacefully coexist with iTunes, and possibly even use the iTunes library as a source.

B

16. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, some things can't even be mentioned without it turning into a debate.

Back on track...

It's not "Apple's format" - they just use it.
    For the record, AAC stands for "Advanced Audio Coding" and NOT "Apple Audio Codec" like some believe.

Last I heard it was much higher - at least 80% (or am I wrong?)

17. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Recent stats on market percentages:

18. macrumors 6502

I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just putting your references into perspective. Sony was more of a "pull things together and polish them" type of innovator (one thing that even Jobs pays homage to from time to time). But Sony never really was a great breaker of new ground. One of the biggest reasons for their downturn in the last several years has been because of their shift to a "total control" style of R&D. A lot of people accuse Apple of heading down the same path in the recent past, and in some ways they are correct... but most of Apple's "total control" projects have paid off for them, the same can't be said for Sony.

I just heard the new specs and price for Sony's new game console, I think it is a hell of a good package for the price, I just hope John Q Public sees the value and Sony doesn't get wiped out.

19. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

wonder if sony is just trying to play every format or if they have something in mind with AAC support, they still dont use itunes or support the iTMS so there is no big reason for them to go AAC other than universal support. Good thing though, less reason to use that bloody wma format! :D

20. macrumors member

wedge antilies

WORLD wide web

I believe the article is Japanese, so the numbers would represent JAPANESE market share not AMERICAN market share.

21. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Oddly, it would seem that I could replace every instance of "Sony" in this quote with "Apple" and see a familiar argument. :p

22. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hopefully it'll force Creative etc. to support AAC too, which can only be bad for MS's wma, though as more people realise that AAC's from the iTMS cannot be played they'll be angry and Apple'll have to licence Fairplay, which is good for other MP3 Player companies and us consumers.

23. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

mmm... interesting! Just did the replacement and its sady 100% true!

24. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Or is it referring to market share (number of players being sold/quarter) vs number of players already out there (total sold)? Japanese vs US market share (or International)? Numbers don't mean much if they aren't defined.

25. macrumors regular

What are you talking about? The article is clearly referring to the domestic (=Japanese) market in April this year.

It couldn't get more definitive than this!