Sony Cybershot DSC-T1? Buy from here?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jovian9, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hello. My wife is interested in a new digital camera for Christmas. Right now she has a Kyocera Samurai 2MP Digicam. She's had it for 3-4yrs (not sure). She wants something 5MP's or greater and something a lot smaller.

She's looking at the Sony Cybershot DSC-T1.

I have a few questions about this camera:

-Has anyone here used this camera? Pros/Cons?

-I found this website (Butterfly Photo) that has the camera for 20% less than anyone else. Has anyone done business with this site? Is there any reason I should be cautious about buying from here?:

http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=pricegrabber&sku=DSCT1

Thanks for any help!

2. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I guess another question would be:

Does anyone here recommend any other cameras 5MP or more that are similar in size to the Sony I mentioned above?

3. Golem macrumors 6502

I have one and I am happy with it.

2 cons I was informed of when I researched but I havent really had a problem with personally.

It has a very small flash so night time shots are ok for a dinner table or a group in front of you but dont expect much outside 2? metres.

The other is increasing common with small cameras and high mega pixels. The pixels are very small. This means they are prone to blurriness if you dont have a steady hand.

http://www.dpreview.com

4. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That's the problem with the digi-cam she has now......she doesn't use it. With the size of the DSC-T1 it she'll easily be able to carry it around (next to her iPod in her outside purse pocket) so she'll use it more.

What size memory stick do you recommend? We'd probably be looking at 100 pics on it at most (without being able to move them to the computer).

Does the dock work with Macs? I have a memory stick memory card reader.......so I can use it if I have to......just curious if I'd be able to keep the dock plugged into my Mac.

The night picture problem doesn't really bother us. We also have a Nikon SLR film camera that takes good pics at night.....so we can use it if we need a night pic.

Thanks!

5. noel4r macrumors 6502a

You should read reviews for the Sony DSC-T1 first before purchasing it. I think the picture quality is not so good. I have a Konica Minolta DiMage X50, got it for $340.00. I'm no expert but I'm happy with it. It does what I need.