sony cybershot dsc-t7 blurry pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by keithpetey, Nov 16, 2005.

1. keithpetey macrumors member

i know this isnt exactly a mac question but im sure that plenty of people here have digital cameras, possibly even the same model. whenever i take pictures with it and the flash is on, the pictures are perfect. however if i dont have the flash on, no matter how steady i keep my hand, or close or far away i am, all my pictures come out blurry. does anyone have any idea why this would happen? is my camera just defective?

thanks,
    keith

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

thats photography for you.

The human hand is NEVER steady.

The faster the shutter the less light that gets to the film. The slower, the more.

Anything under 1/60th of a second shutter speed (typical speed for any point and shoot) will give you a blurred photo.

Works like this:

a dark scene needs the lens open longer because less light is hitting the film.
    a bright scene needs the lens open less, or the picture will have too much light and be overexposed.

With the flash on, the camera is getting plenty of light to illuminate the scene and doesnt need to go below 1/60th. Probably its taking the shot at 1/500th.

but without the flash, in order to get a decently illuminated shot, it needs more light than is available at 1/60th and moves to probably 1/15th or even less.

I bet you noticed the non flashed photos are alot darker too.