Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
My gf just bought a sony dcr dvd300 for our trip to the Philippines. She bought it on ebay as a surprise for me. Well it doesn't support mac for media capture. It writes directly to dvds but i want to be able to edit owr home movies. In testing Ive been having some trouble converting the dvd video into something I can edit in quicktime or imovie. I tried using OpenShiva, but im losing sound or getting choppy video. Any recommendations anyone ?

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I'm sure she meant well but she should've checked with you first in terms of being able to edit the video. This is another reason why I hate DVD camcorders. If you're using any of Apple's video editing programs (iMovie, FCP, FCE), always check the website to see what cameras they support. Sony makes excellent DV cameras so she should've got one of those.

My advice is sell the camera she got and order a DV Sony or Canon.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
homerjward said:
get handbrake so you can rip the .VOBs off the dvd into a format imovie can read.
uhh...http://handbrake.m0k.org/ there's your linky. also rips cryptedenay files so it might get shut down sometime. hope i got the pig latin right :p

Sure it might be possible, but it is difficult and takes too much time, plus if you have a slot load drive you can't read the smaller format of DVDs it uses.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
thanks everyone

im trying out handbreak as i type, but its unexpectedly quitting after i start the encoding process. Its on a g3 right now, im gonna move it over to a g4 in the morning to see how things work out. thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.