Sony DCR-HC16E and iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shotglass, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

So I plugged the thing in, rewound the tape and everything (btw USB 2.0) but it still says that no camera is connected. Does anyone have this camcorder or know about its compatibility with iMovie HD '05?

2. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I checked the Apple website, and from what it looks like, Sony camcorders should be compatible. This must be some kind of problem. Am I doing something wrong? I need some help..... :(

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You need to use firewire (iLink in Sony parlance) - the USB connection won't be seen by iMovie.

4. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

And how do I do that? I only have the USB cable (borrowed the camera from a friend). The ports are as following:
    USB DV OUT A/V OUT LANC (little blue thing that looks like a headphone jack)

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You need to buy or borrow a firewire cable that has a mini DV connector on one end (which will go into the DV out port on the camera) and connector at the other end that will go into your Mac (4pin I think)

The USB cable is only really useful for the photos on the memory card (if the camcorder has one). Since they recommend using FW/iLink on PCs too, I don't know why they don't just bundle a FW cable with the darned things.