Sony debuts first HD-based MP3 player, 2GB in capacity

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 14, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

More expensive then a 4 GB ipod mini. What's the point. Also shows that speculation on a cornice powered 2 gig ipod for 99 dollars would not be possible or else sony would have done it with this device.

3. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Just reading all the details at the moment:
    500 Songs USB 2 interface
    2GB HD Supports MP3 formats variable rates 2 versions available runs on most versions of windows but not Mac $325.00 US

Compared with iPod at 4GB Mini ,Mac and PC stylish appearance USB and Firewire and $249.00US and a range of colours with a simple name to boot. iPod looks pretty cheap actually as well as international recognised.

I did initally think it was a bit pricey but looking at the competition Ill take that comment back.

4. macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Yuck

What is that Log that I assume works as a scrolling device? Ugly, over-priced. I too see the merits of the iPod mini in new light.

5. macrumors regular

I don't think the silver side is ugly. I do think there is alot of button clutter but sony is being consistent. Ipod mini is superior in every way it appears and for 325 i think i'd buy a 15 gig ipod.

6. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

$327... I seriously hope that people will stop complaining about the iPod mini price! Good move Apple!

7. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

OK it looks cheap, ugly, and it's expensive. It only holds 500 songs. Hmmm. The only thing it has got going for it is its size, but even the normal iPods are hardly big.

As usual, Sony slapping a premium on it and thinking it will sell. Their name will get them so far, but I'd take an iPod any day. I think most people will do the same.

8. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I don't think that it looks that bad myself. What I would be more concerned about is the software. Will it be based on SonicStage and the limitations copying ones own music?

Also did anyone see the Sony announcement of the 1gb MiniDisc?

9. macrumors G3

more info here too...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7674

seems one version is smaller than the iPod mini, but features no controls on it and requires the inline remote, (the version Sony has been bragging about) however the version which does have the controls on, is actually significantly bigger than the iPod mini.

Result Apple I say, with the iPod mini ;)

10. macrumors 68040

MattG

$327 for two gigs?!?

Certainly makes the mini look like a good (better) deal, and the iPod 15g like a GREAT deal in comparison.

11. macrumors 6502

Reading is funda'mental - 2 gigs. ;)

12. macrumors 68040

MattG

:)

I fixed it. I saw "giga pavit" and thought "one gig."

13. macrumors member

What a buzz around some rebranded overpriced AIWA unit. Not worth mentioning.

14. macrumors regular

Apples to Apples

Isn't the $327 just the US dollar equivalent of what they sell for for in Japan?

What do iPods sell for over there?

15. macrumors regular

Okay, sorry ... answering my own question here.

15 GB iPod sells for 31,800 Yen in Japan. vs. 35,000 for the Giga Whatever.

Um ... I think that makes the iPod a better deal or something?

16. macrumors member

All I can see from this is that is should boost iPod and iPod mini sales in Japan. (assuming they're going to sell iPod minis in Japan...)

17. macrumors regular

If they don't sell iPod minis in Japan, Apple's marketing staff should be fired -- they will sell like hotcakes over there (well, only if the Japanese liked hotcakes a whole bunch. More like it will sell like hotcakes would sell to the Dutch...or something...).

18. macrumors 6502

awww, shucks.

no Mac support? well, so much for plunking down more $$ for less capacity. that would have been a huge waste of time to make it Mac compatible.

the first "MP3" player i bought was a Sony. i put MP3 in quotes b/c in fact it converted everything to their crappy ATRAC3 format. who wants to resample already compressed music? i'm glad to see that this one at least supports MP3...step in the right direction.

but what's up w/ that remote? "our player is smaller than the mini". that's like taking the engine out of a car & saying it's lighter than the competition. "see how lightweight our sporty car is? of course you need that 800lb engine over there in the floor for it to run..."

also, it really shows how good a job Ive and his group have done w/ the UI of the iPod (and even moreso on the mini). you don't need dozens of buttons, switches & levers for every function of the player, have things be contextual. that way i don't wreck trying to turn down the volume or skip a song when i'm in my car. i guess Sony doesn't care if people wreck while using their products. thanks a lot Sony.

19. deejemon, Jan 15, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

macrumors regular

20. macrumors member

The Sony brand would help it, IF it was a little cheaper. But $327 for 2GB....and right after a 4GB iPod mini was introduced at $249??? Seems like a failure before it even starts.

21. macrumors 68000

This along with some other HD based MP3 player announcements has led me to a couple conclusions:

1)The iPod is even more amazing than I thought, given what you get for the price.

2)The low end($$ wise) HD based MP3 players are not yet in competition with the high end flash market. And are stuck in this nevernever land of "Why not spend some more to get a classic iPod" and "I'm not going to spend more than $199 on an MP3 player"

22. macrumors newbie

23. Moderator emeritus

sushi

In April according to the Apple Store in the Ginza.

...and yes, I bet the mini iPods will sell like hotcakes over here! :D

Sushi

24. macrumors 68000

agreenster

The Giga-what?!??!?

What a horrible name. Hope it has a different name in the states. (for their sake) iPod just rolls off the tongue.

This from the people who brought us the revolutionary 'walkman' back in the day.

Giga-Pavit? Ughn.

Go iPod!

25. macrumors 6502a

$329? There's no way I'd pay that much. If it was $50 cheaper I would have bought two already, but there's no way in hell I'll spend $329.

(sorry I just had to jab at the iPod Mini whiners; looking at the already low margins and competitors it seems Apple is really the price leader)