Sony declares full assault on XBox Live

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jan 31, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Gunz blazing baby!!!

Bless

Attached Files:

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

This proves it. the ps3 WILL be BETTER than the Xbox 360. It will be the supercharged powermac of the game console world. End of discussion. Live with it. Sony makes something better than MS. not hard to do, but this is much better.

EDIT: Just when i submitted this there was an ad for a free ps3 on the bottom of the screen. wow. thats good advertising.

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

As much as I love XBOX Live there are a few areas that it needs help in. I wasn't planning on buying a PS3 at launch but if they can make their online system better than the 360's I may have to rethink that idea.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

<yawn>

I'll believe it when I see it. My previous experiences with Sony software have left me less than impressed.

6. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Only time will tell how well this service will do. I tend to not trust Sony that much when they are talking about the future. Hard drive, anyone?

7. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

hahaha, "it scrolls like butter"! Nice pointblank (sorry for the hijack)

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I am getting tired of the whole "PS3 is better.....no, XBox 360 is better...." arguments that go on. I feel like all the next gen systems are targeted at different genres. The XBox is the system to get if you are big into FPS and playing online. The PS3 will kick but in sports and RPG, while the revolution will be cool because you can play more arcade style games, more interaction with the game. I love my XBox and even if the PS3 has better specs, the types of games that go on the Playstation platform don't really interest me. There has only been one game on the PS2 that I really liked, guitar Hero.

9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Now don't get me wrong. I know Sony likes to make things up and overhype. My main point is that this kills those idiotic rumors that Sony would not have a centralized online system (in direct contrast to their E3 statements that said they would). I just hope it's free, then I might buy it in addition to the Revolution.

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

This is exactly what PS3 needed to have...if done right PS3 will pwn XBOX

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

same here... Sony Software.. ughh

but now it's pretty clear that both Sony and Microsoft will both be in exactly the same category

12. crachoar macrumors 6502a

A 'Sony-Rumor' (the best kind!) to squash a rumor?

What is this world coming to?

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Making it dirt cheap would be a really good move to begin with.

I will wait and see for Christmas 06 to see what the deals are but I think it would be wise to wait for eofy 07 for real deals

14. fadetoblack86 macrumors newbie

i dont know about the PS3... everytime Sony has backed up a new future design. it backfired on them. will it be the same with the blu-ray? well as history tells us, most likely yes. but yeah the online service is definitley a plus for sony if it's true.

15. nimbus macrumors regular

As Microsoft software left you whimsically inspired? Oh my, to chuckle!

It's interesting that it works with the PS3 AND PSP. Very nice features indeed.
    I think this is the preverbial "curtains" for 360 if its even half way decent.

But the truth is, PS2 cleaned Xbox's clock with no real set-up online service.
    Now this will put them to sleep...
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This just makes the Xbox 360 look like an even worse deal. of course its all down to price. The 360 is fast, but the PS3 is faster still. The PS3 supports blu-ray, an online service to rival the 360, support for more controllers...

Why the hell don't MS and Sony just merge the 2 now and be done with it? This is so pointless having 2 systems near identical to each other. It's times like this that I'm glad I'll only get a Revolution (unless the PS3 isn't absurdly overpriced, but its Sony so I'm guessing it will be). The other 2 are just too similar to each other.

But yea. The 360 just becomes more and more the poor mans PS3. unless the PS3 ends up being cheaper than the 360. inwhich case the 360 is going to have a very hard time in the market.

BUT then again this is Sony speaking. This is hyperbole, lies, exaggeration. This is typically Sony. I'll believe it when its out and not a moment sooner. When I'm seeing dual 1080p monitor at 60fps :p I still laugh myself to sleep with that one

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here. Over my 20 years on earth, and with my fair share of Sony products only one has survived to this day. my Sony MZ-R91 minidisc player. its ancient too, by gadget standards. but its metal and built like a bloomin tank. Nothing else of Sony's, not their TV's, sound systems, DVD-RW drives, cameras, tape walkman, CD walkman, PS1 and 2 have survived for me. I cant understand why people put value to a company who clearly bang out less than decent products for as cheap as possible. Sure its business, but the competition in all fields do a better job.

Then again MS aren't the best. Windows is just tripe, my Xbox has had its fair share of problems, their mice just fell apart on me twice... yea.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I really do hope that the PS3 will slaughter the xPox. There's nothing like Microsoft coming out of a fight all bloody and beaten.

As for Sony products.. all mine have survived quite well. Still have a fully functional modded PS1, PS2, TVs, Video Cameras, Walkman, portable CD player, DVD player, etc, etc. Nearly 16 years of products, and they all still work.

19. Symtex macrumors 6502a

what makes you think Sony can come out with something that took 4 years for Microsoft to build at launch ? I'm experience online gaming with SOE and I don't think Microsoft is afraid of what Sony online will be offering. By the time Sony refines the online network, Microsoft is already one step ahead and adding new features. I don't see Sony winning in the online world.

20. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

You obviously don't treat your products with care so. I've had a Sony radio since the 80's thats still in perfect order (it's on now), even after its been knocked straight off a shelf. How did you manage to break a PS2? Their relatively new machines and hard enough to break. Take more care of your products-they might last longer

21. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've said it many a time, but I HATE fanboy comments. Nobody knows for sure that the PS3 will own the 360 because NOBODY has used both consoles. All people are doing are either letting the world know their own fanboy "opinion" or using paper spec to form a rough opinion.

I've only just got my first console - a 360 - (can't count 2 months of PSOne ownership), and I'm loving it. It was bought as a PC gaming rig replacement and its doing its job great. And thats the main reason I bought it - the xbox tends to have more ex-PC titles available than the PS's did.

But if Sony actually do pull off the PS3 I will get one if resonably priced. Not for the games, as generally Sony titles don't appeal, but for the Blu-Ray drive. If it does everything its supposed to (upscaling, HDMI output) it'll be a fairly cheap next-gen DVD player. And that is one reason why it'll sell bucket loads - not only does it appeal to rabid fanboys - like a couple of posters in this thread - but to those of us who buy a product not out of brand loyalty but because of its actual abilities.

Interesting times lie ahead...

I had several Sony Walkman/MD products break on me - and I baby my gadgets. The PS2 has a well know problem with their DVD drives (because they were cheap and nasty) and I know at least one person who went through three within a year before he got one that didn't fail. Its not that myself or my friend mistreated the various items - they just broke for one reason or another. It happens, and its not just Sony that it happens to (hell, I went through 5 PB replacements last year - duff superdrive, lower memory slots failing, faulty keyboards etc..), but don't make the mistake of presuming that just because someone has had misfortune with some products that they beat the crap out of them or something.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well the question is will those additional features be enough for microsoft... even if sony starts with a half-assed online thing microsoft will have a hard time (especially when the sony service is free)

as much as SOE's software/server services suck they _have_ a much longer experience with online gaming services than microsoft or nintendo which both start(ed) at scratch ... even though nintendo is working together with gamespy afaik

edit: and yeah i've a broken sony discman ...

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

How on earth can you say that? I molly coddle my gadgets. my iPod mini? not a spec of age on it. no smudges on the screen no dust no nothing. perfect condition. PowerBook? Looks like it was bought yesterday, gets cleaned weekly. DS? immaculate. 2 year old Mobile phone? could sell as new. Pocket PC? scratch-less. my old 3G iPod? almost faultless (took very good care of that).

What I find interesting though. My Sony amp and speakers packed in 5 years after purchase. the tweeter on the left speaker just stopped working. checked wiring and everything. just couldn't fix it. now... I'm using an amplifier here from the 1970's and 2 Wharfedale speakers from 1994. Not a problem! The amp is a little bit wrecked through the dial grips wearing out but the insides itself still function as good as when my dad bought it 16 years before I was born.

Just search or ask around here for faulty PS1 and 2's. just ask around anywhere. there's a reason all the computer shops I see stock replacement PS2 lasers (no Xbox, GC and never saw DC).
    However. the Minidisc player I have is excellent. peak of Sony's prowess. I had a hard time giving that up for a 128mb MP3 player.

24. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If it's free, it'll be worth it for me. Even if it's better than Live, if Sony charges, I probably won't be using it (or buying a PS3 for a while).

25. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, like free would be best. That would be cool- sort of give M$ a bit of their own medicine. (Can we say Netscape-IE wars) M$ is notorious about using their financial resources to compete...if they can't make a better product (which they usually can't) then they either give it away below cost(x-box) or for free (IE)

It is funny- I play PS2 Battlefield 2 Modern Combat online and have only had one issue of poor performance after playing over 60 hours of games online. And yet I hear everyone saying how great Live is and yet after going to the BF2 forums I see everyone complaining about their LIve connection, etc. NOw, this game has had its share of server outages and such that affect all platforms, etc, but overall I have had great success with the game online. (I even beta tested the game on the PS2 and had only one time that it crashed during the test.)

So I guess I am saying online is not reliable overall and with so many factors and the indepth games, etc the online performance is not going to be what an at home game performance is going to be- probably for many years to come. I sort of relate it to phone service. Pretty much everyone has very reliable land line phone service, but with cell service due to so many factors it won't probably ever be as reliable. And yet, people still get very ticked off at cell phones for not being perfectly reliable. Same with onilne game play- people hold it to too high of standards most of the time.

I think the Sony online service will only help in the long run, but not to say there won't be plenty of bumps in the road to come even if they do have a sony controlled online service.