Sony develops 25-gigabite paper DVD

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

2. macrumors 65816

Yea, cool until you spill your drink on it and your 2 year old plays with it.

3. macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

DVD paper coasters serve "double" purpose

So, a DVD coaster (mis-burn) will finally be useful - absorbing liquid from a glass because of the paper? :D[​IMG]
    Actually, this is really cool technology developed by SONY using new Blu-ray HD DVD discs that are 51% paper. While SONY's paper discs are limited to 25GB storage, regular plastic material discs are capable of 50GB.
    • SONY sells movies (software) on DVD discs.
      SONY may not want movie software to last long on a DVD (Blu-ray) disc.
      SONY makes "throw away" less-than-durable Paper DVD Br.
      SONY invents "disposable movie" discs capable of High-Definition video.
      SONY continues old policy of planned obsolescence.
    Read the article, it tells a little about SONY's history form 1950, and the paper SONI tape, possibly from which the name SONY was derived - easier to pronounce and remember than "Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo" for a company name.
    Hmmmm?
    I wonder if the "paper" disc is "printable" on an Epson R200 InkJet CD/DVD direct label capable printer?

4. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Based on blueray. And you can destroy it by taking to it with the scissors!

5. macrumors regular

Maybe this will mean smaller drives and smaller discs- maybe printing mass quantities of paper discs on printers.

aj

6. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

And it costs how much and comes out when?

7. macrumors 601

stoid

Well, if AOL discs arrived in my mailbox made of paper it'd make it a lot easier to wipe my ass with them! :p :D :D ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

Vector

It is an interesting concept, but one of the main reasons for using optical media is because it is so durable. It is made of 51% paper, and can be cut with scissors, so one assumes that it cannot stand up well to the regular wear and tear that current optical media has to.

I just hope that sony's blu-ray technology beats out the format microsoft is pushing.

9. macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

USED FOR WIPING

WATCH OUT FOR THE HOLE! :p

10. macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

If Microsoft fails to involve drive & disc manufacturers and computer companies like Blu-ray has, then it should fall on its face...unless the technology is clearly superior.
    Do you have a URL on MS tech?

11. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Nice. :cool:

12. macrumors 6502a

Vector

The format battle is for the next generation DVD. Sony has developed blu-ray and microsoft has developed hd-dvd. Both formats are meant to provide higher quality picture resolution for hd tvs by using blue lasers to read the pits on the media (they can be smaller thus making the dvd larger capacity with blue lasers). The DVD forum endorsed microsofts, but that doesn't mean its better or that it is the winnner. here are a few sites on the issue.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2004/04/15&pages=A1&seq=5

http://www.blu-ray.com/

http://www.dvdscan.com/blueray2.htm

http://www.dvdtown.com/hddvd/

13. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Forget the hole, watch out for the papercuts.. :eek:

14. macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

"Bite me..."

Puts new meaning into the expression "Bite me..." :eek: doesn't it? :D

SONY does have a very long history of using paper {cellulose} as a recording medium. In about 1950 before the company was even known as SONY, they used paper as a partial material to manufacture very cheap magnetic tape. Unfortunately, SONY is infamous over building planned obsolesence into their products to the intentional detriment of consumers. Oddly, this idea may work well since paper is only half the material and instead of the disc being burned using a hot laser, the plan is to use a stream of electrons.

• Two hydrogen atoms meet.
      One says "I've lost my electron."
      The other says "Are you sure?"
      The first replies "Yes, I'm positive."
      To which the other curiously exclaims “Watt?!?”

Ok, but it was at least on topic! How about this one?
    [​IMG]
    • Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time,
      which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet.
      He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and
      with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...
      (Oh, man, this is so bad, it's good)... a
      super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

So, do you think Mary Poppins would be more interested in a 12" or 15"
    PowerBook, considering how mobile she needs to be. (See, I tied it in!)[​IMG]

Keeping your Mac well organized in Panther OS X is a "snap". 9.9mb QT file

15. macrumors P6

wdlove

I also wonder about the longevity of paper DVD. Have wondered if the idea of its use is for planned destruction after so many uses. A disposable DVD! :eek:

16. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

HAha you just won onw of my awards....Thats so damn funny award

17. macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Apple 8x DVD media now available online 5 for $19.95

Yes, that's what SONY stands for as a company - "Stops working, buy another, sucker"

Has anyone noticed that we can now purchase 8x DVD-R blank media from the Apple Store, $19.95 for 5-pack
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...1Ol923MPdKF80UvpeAt3/3.5.0.5.14.0.5.1.1?62,40
    [​IMG]

Now, Apple, when can we have new G5 PowerMacs with 8x DVD SuperDrives inside? Huh?

18. macrumors 68020

question fear

uhhhhh
    can't you just snap a dvd in half if you dont want anyone else to read it?
    it seems cool, but is "cut with scissors" really a big deal? personally i think the recycling aspect (both of the disks and utilizing recycled paper) is cool.

19. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hey they are also making time release DVD's.

After a certain time the DVD has acid on it and after like 5 days the DVD info is GONE!

:confused:

Also another brilliant idea from the makers of 'massive amount of storage in a non-durible surface'

Paper = Cool!
    Dvd = Cool!

Paper DVD = Cool!
    Accidentally damaging the paper -- OH NO!

20. macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Shred that sucker

Actually, DVD discs can be rather difficult to snap in half, the good ones anyway.
    Personally, I like to microwave them for 2 seconds and that kills 'em dead.

The scissors thing is not exactly what most office people will do to destroy paper discs, close but not quite :p
    [​IMG]
    Some shredders actually have a special slot now for disposing of CD & DVD discs.

21. macrumors 6502a

Vector

they have been trying the timed dvd's for a little while already. they are being used for movie rentals so people can just get the special dvd and never have to return anything. the dvd is wrapped in plastic, and when it is opened and exposed to the air, a chemical reaction starts that renders the dvd unreadable after a few days. from what i have heard it isn't going to do much because these disposable dvd rentals cost twice as much as regular rentals.

22. macrumors 601

stoid

You do realize that the new eMacs sport 8x SuperDrives, right? Good. And the new laptop SuperDrives have also moved from 2x to 4x, right? Good. Something tells me that the next revision of PowerMacs are going to have 8x (maybe 16x at the rate Apple is going).

How compatible are these discs with present standards? It doesn't seem like a flimsy paper disc would work the best with a slot-loading drive enclosure, but could a standard laser based drive that reads the present disc types handle these as well? Would it even be possible to build a drive that supports both these and traditional discs?

23. macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

3 way SuperDrive? Blu-ray, DVD & CD, or is CD going to get killed off

One of the current concerns is not a "SuperDrive" dual compatibility with Blu-ray & DVD, but whether CD Read/Write will continue. Again, 3-way Combo is possible, we just have no clue yet on probability.
    Also, no clue yet on whether DVD capability will include Dual-Layer (DL).

Lots of possibilities, few answers at this point. I'm personally pleased that two rational companies are deeply involved in Blu-ray development - Pioneer electronics and HP computers. They have a vested interest over a reasonable level of backwards compatibility, so I'm sure CD compatibility will be strongly considered.

While Blu-ray could be a component of a future SuperDrive, I'd expect the drive manufacturers to come out with Desktop models (already being shown, and then 3.5" computer versions for towers like the G5 PowerMac = first External FireWire drives, later internal.

SONY and Philips are the wild cards on internal drives and could push Pioneer and others into manufacturing internal computer drives before Pioneer would choose to.
    Don't you just love what competition for our money does for us?

Besides SONY's paper discs, Verbatim, TDK and Pioneer's partner Taiyo Yuden (maker of PioData brand) are likely to be leaders in providing Blu-ray 50GB discs

Apple sells a 5-pack for $19.95, or $3.99 each (as anticipated)

PioData (Taiyo Yuden) sells 8x discs for $3.99 each
    • 10 for $38.90 or $3.89 each
    •500 for $1,695 or $3.39 each

Ritek and others are following suit

Later this year, when 16x replaces 8x at the top of the food chain,
    • 8x DVD-R prices should drop from $20 to $15 per 5-pack ($3 each)
      16x DVD-R will then come in at $20 per 5-pack ($4 each) and
      4x DVD-R will remain at $9.99 per 5-pack ($2 each) with
      2x DVD-R for under $1 each.
    Dual Layer (DL) discs initialy burning at only 4x, maybe 8x, are expected to initially sell for $35 each, the over a 6 to 9 month period
    rapidly dropping to $25 each, $15 each, and then holding at $8 each.

Dual Sided (DS) DVD discs burning at 8x may compete with DL because they have double the burning speed @ 8x and later 16x for $6-7 per disc with a true 4.7GB X 2 capacity = 9.4 GB compared to DL max of 8.4 GB
    DS will have limited commercial popularity for the practical reason that since both sides are burned, there is NO SIDE for a label = defeating extensive commercial use.

LightScribe (LS), pushed by HP, is an excellent direct burning laser label on the non-burn side and is supposed to add only a few pennies per disc (we will see ;)). A LS treated surface may be combined with a "printable" white surface for InkJet, or discs may be produced permitting only LS burning or only InkJet printing, or none (requiring paper labels).

Our choices for great disc product are going to do nothing less than get progressively better and cheaper. God bless competition.

24. macrumors 68020

question fear

they are also apparently really tough to dispose of...the compromise on the sheer amount of waste they would generate was special envelopes where you could mail it all expenses paid to a recycling center. that so far has failed. its also that people didn't respond well to the price, as vector said, as welll as the time limit. it was a bad idea from the consumer standpoint, too many factors to consider when blockbuster is that much easier and cheaper.

25. macrumors newbie

coastercd

try using an actual coastercd!!! to see what i mean go to www.coastercd.com - their really cool..... :)