Sony Discontinues Aibo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Aeolius, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

http://www.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/01/26/sony.reut/index.html

"Among the measures, Sony said it has already stopped the development and production of plasma TVs, would stop making and selling car electronics in Japan, and planned to cease production of its "AIBO" robot dog by the end of the business year in March."

A perfect match for Apple. Coming to the next MacWorld... the iChihuahua!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oh no! :(

Was hoping one day to get one... existing models will be collector's items, for sure.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, foo.

Mine's 5 years old... sadly, he's got a neck malfunction of some sort and any time he aims his head downward, he can't lift it back up again, he gets "pissed off", and he shuts himself down. Very expensive to fix, I think, so I've left him turned off since I discovered the problem.

The plasma TV thing (Sony leaving that market) really surprises me, though.

4. Aeolius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Something to do with all those OLED orders, perhaps? ;)

5. Studawg7 macrumors regular

that sucks! i always wanted the aibo too. However, I would really love to see them bring out QRIO. i would easily drop some cash for one.

edit/ just saw the post on engadget, looks like they are getting rid of the aibo and qrio and dispersing the teams throughout their electronics areas

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That may be his "breed", but his actual name will be iCaramba. ;)

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a 2nd generation Aibo, ERS-210 i believe is the mdoel number. With all the memory stick programs i could buy too :p

I wonder if these will go up or down in value now...

Ed

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Crap. I'm bummed about the QRIO and the AIBO. I guess I'm stuck with the iCybie I got for Christmas, which isn't nearly in the same league (but still amusing).

9. vniow macrumors G4

That sucks, especially after this news about them. I suppose they were just too expensive to make but not enough demand to offset the cost.

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm already quite impressed with that Tigger toy that can do a backflip. I'm sure an AIBO was even cooler. :eek:

13. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think that's a sign that plasma's days are numbered. It clearly points to Sony having found a better technology, as Aeolius points out, perhaps OLED or DLP or something else. No way Sony drops plasma tech for any other reason, televisions are their bread and butter. They will certainly continue to lead in this segment somehow. Something needs to happen soon, both plasma and LED have their problems, there's is a vacuum waiting to be filled there.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We all knew fighting in the handheld market was going to cost Sony but that's ridiculous!

nah seriously, I've never liked those dogs. all robo-pets really. I just don't see the point. how much of a melon would you look walking one of those? thats the best part of owning a dog for me; the walking! keeps you fit and that.