Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sony, the manufacturer behind many of the camera sensors used in Apple's iOS devices, recently confirmed that its dual-lens camera platform will be featured in devices from "major smartphone players" in 2016. The information was shared by Sony CFO Kenchiro Yoshida during the company's recent Q3 2015 earnings call and was highlighted by Xperiablog.

Sony's camera technology is used by a wide range of smartphone manufacturers, including Apple, and Yoshida declined to name specific companies that would take advantage of Sony's dual-lens camera platform. Dual-lens technology has previously been used in smartphones such as the HTC M8, but it may soon become a more popular option following rumors that Apple plans to incorporate a dual-lens system into its iPhone 7 Plus.

iPhone-7-Dual-Camera-800x450.jpg
iPhone 7 mockup with dual-lens camera system (Image: Computer Bild)​

Apple is said to be planning to use dual-lens technology it acquired from Israeli camera company LinX in the iPhone 7 Plus, but Apple may still be incorporating Sony sensor components into its camera module. Apple is also said to be testing dual-lens camera samples from a range of manufacturers in Taiwan, Japan, and China.

According to Yoshida, dual-lens camera systems will be coming from multiple major smartphone manufacturers this year, but because of slowdowns in the high-end smartphone market could impact production, 2017 will be the year when the dual lens camera platform really takes off.
Well, for next year, our so-called dual lens - dual camera platform will be launched by, we believe, from major smartphone players. However, as I said previously, recently, our smartphone market is growing and particularly, our high-end smartphone market is now slowing down. So, that may impact the demand or production schedule of dual camera smartphones by the major smartphone manufacturers. So, we believe the real start, the takeoff of smartphone with dual lens camera will be in the year of 2017."
Rumors have suggested Apple is planning to incorporate a dual lens camera system into the iPhone 7 Plus to differentiate it from the iPhone 7, which will continue to offer a more traditional single-lens camera. Should Apple follow through with its plans, its first dual-lens system will debut towards the end of 2016, likely in September.

The launch of the iPhone 7 is still multiple months away, but details about the new device have been steadily trickling out. Yesterday, MacRumors shared information on the device's design, which is expected to be similar to the iPhone 6s design but with a flush rear camera and no antenna bands across the back. Other rumors suggest it will have improved water resistance and no headphone jack.

Article Link: Sony's Dual Camera to See Inclusion in Devices From 'Major Smartphone Players'

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
I wish they were given more credit. Samsung and LG, which are Korean, and Apple, which is American, all pretend to have made these innovations. But it really comes from Japan. It's no accident that Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Olympus are all Japanese.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I hope this rumour is true, I love the camera on my iPhone and getting DSLR quality photos would be worth the price alone!
You may get better pictures but you most assuredly won't be getting DSLR quality photos. Not sure why phrases like "DLSR -like", "DSLR quality", or "near DLSR" are being bandied about. Well, I'm totally sure why it's being done. I just wish it wasn't. It sets an expectation in the customer's mind that has no chance of being met.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
You may get better pictures but you most assuredly won't be getting DSLR quality photos. Not sure why phrases like "DLSR -like", "DSLR quality", or "near DLSR" are being bandied about. Well, I'm totally sure why it's being done. I just wish it wasn't. It sets an expectation in the customer'm mind that has no chance of being met.

If they are better than the photos I can take on my iPhone 6 Plus at the moment I'll be happy! Not that the ones taken on it are bad, but if it can be better than that's dam good!
I do agree with your sentiment about the DSLR labelling, if it's not possible then it shouldn't be said that it is.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Will miss this tech not being in the upcoming purchase of iPhone 7.. Oh well.

Unless!
The 'Plusl' has shrunk down 'cause of the reduction in bezels and is almost the size of current 6.
Then count me in, but of course shrinking the phone isn't Apple's way, it's making it unapologetically thinner.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
My guess is the iPhone 7 is all about sound. Making the phone thinner, ditching the headphone jack Apple will advertise that Earpods through the lightning port will allow for higher fidelity and at the same time they'll announce higher definition music will be sold on the iTunes Store.

Next year they'll change the camera to the dual lense and advertise the amazing photos you can take that the competition can't.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't care what lens Apple uses for the next Plus phone, but the module better be airtight and dust proof. Doesn't matter what lens they use if over time the camera lens gets caked with dust on the inside. So tired of this happening.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Why? What's the benefit?
In low light situations, as the light level drops, a camera has to extend the exposure time to maintain image quality (at a certain level). This why you'll get more images with motion blur in such situations. For example, instead of 1/60 s if the light is better, the camera might choose 1/30 s to capture more light by keeping the shutter open twice as long. Technically, you could see this as two 1/60 s exposures taken back to back with no gap in between. But as they extend over a 1/30 s time period, any camera or subject movement over that period will result in a blur proportional to the length of that period.

What the dual-lens systems do is to take two 1/60 s exposures (in this example) not one after the other but at the same time and add the recorded signals/data. Thus you only get the amount of blur that movement during this 1/60 s time period causes but get the amount of light a 1/30 s exposure would normally result in.

Another way to describe this that you get a sensor area that is effectively twice as large compared to a single camera module (without requiring a bigger lens that a single lens camera module with twice the sensor area would require, where bigger means also thicker in phone geometry terms). However, since the sensor of a typical DSLR is about 20x larger than that of an iPhone camera, an increase by a factor of two still leaves a big gap in effective sensor difference.

Last edited:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
You may get better pictures but you most assuredly won't be getting DSLR quality photos. Not sure why phrases like "DLSR -like", "DSLR quality", or "near DLSR" are being bandied about. Well, I'm totally sure why it's being done. I just wish it wasn't. It sets an expectation in the customer'm mind that has no chance of being met.
They do it for entertainment value, because it makes the DSLR owners get defensive.

Small cameras with multiple small lenses and small sensors, combined with software on a smart phone do have the potential to meet or exceed the image quality of a camera with a single large lens and single large sensor. Whether the iPhone 7+ camera does this remains to be seen. And multiple lens cameras can do things that single lens cameras can't.

Pro, Semi-Pro, and even some dedicated consumer level cameras will continue to outshine smart phone cameras by being more flexible, and by adopting some of the same tech that is improving the smart phone cameras. They'll likely have more small lenses replacing or supplementing the single main lens, and dedicated software and firmware that makes them faster to use. They won't really be DSLRs any more, though.

Shamanth

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
I really hope that Apple isn't planning to turn their most popular phone into a second class citizen just to prop up that phablet monstrosity.
As it is the 6 barely fits my pocket. If the regular size phone ends up missing the 7 series' marquee feature I will probably skip it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.