Sony DVD 505 & Mac OS X (10.4)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by funkslap, Mar 23, 2007.

1. funkslap macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2007
    I have a SOny DVD 505 camcorder. It is not compatible with my macbook. Does anyone know of a mini dvd reader or some sort of software that will recognize this camera? I'ld like to be able to import some video onto my computer. Thanks!
  2. -DH macrumors 65816

Nov 28, 2006
    Nashville Tennessee
    With a MacBook you have limited choices for getting the footage onto your system - but in any ever, do NOT put the mini-DVD disc into a slot load DVD drive ... ever.

You could connect the camcorder's analog outputs to a qualified DV device (DV camcorder, VTR or converter), then connect the DV device to your MacBook via Firewire. In FCP, set Device Control to "Non-Controllable Device" and use Capture Now.

Or, connect an external DVD drive (tray loading) to your MacBook and transfer the DVD's files to your hard drive. Next, use MPEG Streamclip (or other program) to convert the DVD's VOB files to a format that matches your NLE program's needs. If you're using iMovie, convert to .dv. If you're using FCE or FCP, then convert to whatever format matches your Sequence settings - for example, if your Sequence is set for DV/DVCPro NTSC, then use MPEG Streamclip to convert the files to match that.

3. funkslap thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I will certainly try this!
  4. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    what's the best program to convert the files? i found that mpeg streamclip didn't read all the files on the dvd