Sony Ericsson k610i, anyone know it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by the Western zoo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

hi folks,

I know this might be a little out of track, but this is the only technical forum I go to on the net and my question is mac related!

I resently messed up my cell phone and need a new one, and of cause I want one that communicate well with mac! so has anybody got some experience in how Sony Ericssons work with mac?

And if anyone has a k610i or know it, I would be very interested in hearing their oppion about it!

2. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Sony Ericsson phones generally work great on Macs. I've had a T610, K750, and a K800 that all work great.

The newer phones (K800, K610) need some updated iSync plugins to make them work, which were free a while ago. I think the author now charges about £1.49 for them.

You can, of course just use the tips that are out there to get iSync to recognise the K610 as iSync will work with it, you just need to tweak a couple of plist files.

As a phone, I've played with a couple of K610s and I think they're pretty good. The camera isn't quite as good as on the K750 but it's not too bad.

Hope that helps.

3. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

yeah thanks! helped me a lot! although I have no idea what tweaking a plist means...? :)

I don't really mind about the camera cause I have an outstanding digital camera, but the missing flash is of cause a bit disappointing... I just need to be able to sync my calender and I was hoping to use it as a small portable storage...

4. PatrickF macrumors 6502

When you plug in the provided USB cable and choose File Manager mode on the phone, it'll mount on your desktop as a drive. You can then just transfer your files as normal. Alternatively you can do the same via Bluetooth although that's quite a bit slower.

5. SPinc33 macrumors member

be careful!

I've had a k700i since last August and I've had nothing but problems with it. It could be an isolated experience, but I know others who have equally had big problems with Sony Ericsson.

For starters, the software is extremely slow and sometimes unresponsive. About once a day it wigs out and the screen goes white for a minute. When it comes back, the keys are not locked and the sound is back on...as a result, i've sent over 20 texts from my pocket, I've called other countries, and I've had all of my texts deleted without my consent, not to mention the phone rang during a meeting with the United Nations(!!!). Also, the phone has never been dropped, but the screen cracked across the middle from the inside and there are dead pixels all around the edges.

I've heard that the newer Walkman models are much better, but play with them first regarding the response time. The features are great and the Mac integration has been fine, but I don't think I could ever buy a SE phone again.

Good luck!

6. PatrickF macrumors 6502

The K700 was notorious for having quite a lot of problems. The K750 I had previous to my K800 didn't have any problems though.

7. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I've currently got the k610i - and I use file manager via the USB cable to sync and download all my photos - it's a lovely phone and works so well with my mac. I don't use it to sync my calendar though (too small and fiddley), I like to keep that stuff from mac to mac only. If I had a larger blackberry-type of format I'd probably do so however.

Then again, my last SE T610 also worked well - SonyE seem to very mac friendly

8. telmerco macrumors newbie

Can you use bluetooth rather than the USB cable for K610i?

Hi, I am looking at buying a new cell phone and the Sony Ericsson K610i is one of the list I am considering (Siemens S68 is another). I have a Macbook Pro and am wondering if you can do the same as described above but over bluetooth rather than the USB cable? Cheers, Colin

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes, you should be able to do everything over bluetooth. It might be slower than USB though.

I think the k700i is an exception. All other SE phones I've seen and used work great.

10. gingerproduct macrumors newbie

Ericsson K610i and Mac OX X 10.4

Has anyone happily synched their Ericsson K610i phone with Mac Mail? I belive you need OS X 10.4 (I currently have OS X 10.3.9) plus you need to use the Mac Mail program (I am currently on Entourage but will move across if need be).

Any wisdom out there will be much apprecitated :)

Thanks.

11. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Have it and hate it

When compared to my nokia for signal strength no comparison. Also i have to manually reboot the phone every time i come out of an elevator. I will never buy a sony phone again. Too bad i am stuck with this one for 2 more years.

12. pollino macrumors newbie

can you help me?

hi guys..
    i've just bought a new k610i and i wanna transfer some .jar file into it.
    do you know how can i do it???
    i cant transfer them on bluetooth ..it says (the mac) transfer failed!!
    thx :apple: