Sony Ericsson T616 questions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ramsos, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

Hey everyone I'm on the verge of purchasing a new Sony Ericsson T616, but I have a couple of questions. First off here is what I know about the phone already. I know the phone is a camera phone that takes photos in two different sizes, I know its a bluetooth* phone, I know it can play Midi ringtones, I know it has a picture phonebook and picture caller I.D.* I also know that it has customizable themes and screensavers. Oh yeah you can also download games to it, those are a lot of really cool features. I also already have a couple of programs that work with the phone, namely Phone Agent for customizable themes and Salling clicker to control some software on my mac with the phone. Here are my questions. I know the phone has 2 mb of memory which is not expandable and when you receive the phone it has less than 900kb available, what I want to know is If I have 10 midi ring tones, 3 games,2 themes, 1 animated gif screensaver and 10 phonebook photos in the phone at all times, how much room will I have left for pictures, and more to the point about how many pics do you think I could take or download from my tibook. I heard on a sony ericsson forum that you can reset your phone to free up around 1800kb by deleting built in themes and pics. I realize that no one will be able to tell me exactly how many pics will fit but maybe you can tell me about your phone and your experience with Ringtones, Games. Pictures, Themes and Screensavers. I've also heard that the pictures the built in camera are between 30 and 50 kb each which seems like a lot when you only have 2 mb of storage. Has anyone figured out a way to send the pictures to your mac recompress them in photoshop then upload them back to the phone to save space, also what settings do you use to save pics off your mac to your phone using photoshop or maybe some other program. I realize I just asked a lot but I'm really just trying to figure out how much storage 2 mb's really is on this phone. Even though I am positive now that I will be purchasing this phone it always helps to do my homework before I make a purchase.
    Thanks-RAM

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah you can use apple's bluetooth utilty to send and recieve files from your phone. i dont know how many photo's you can store but i will tell you my opinions on the phone. it is an awesome phone but 2 things suck about it. if its sunny outside you cant see it. and the camera sucks. i dont really care about the camera though, but compared to my friends sayno sprint camera phone, mine sucks big time.

iJon

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

For any who still doubt how good this phone is i have a story that should add to the numerous t616 phone threads i have already posted in.

Yesterday i was running to class, and naturally i was late. I got to the building, and was running up the stairs when my phone starts making noises. It is early and i was not yet awake, so i pulled out the phone to see what was going on and then i dropped it. By this time i was three stories up a staircase (about 40 feet as the floors are large) and the phone fell hitting every railing on the way down. I screamed a few choice words and ran down three stories to retrieve my phone, assuming that it would be in many pieces. Once i found it at the bottom of the stairwell, it only had a small dent in the bottom and a few tiny scratches. The phone was off but after pressing the power button it came right on and it still works fine.

Anyway, the pictures take up about 50kb each at the larger size and you can delete most preinstalled games, themes, pictures, and sounds. I would say that you can take about 40 pictures, probably a little less, but this should be enough space unless you are really obsessed with taking pictures on your phone. As iJon mentionas, and this has been discussed in several other threads here, the screen can be very difficult to see outside, but i find that this is only a problem for me in direct sunlight on very bright days.

Why are you so concerned with taking pictures, compressing them, and uploading them back to the phone?

The format of the pictures that the camera takes is jpeg.

4. Ramsos thread starter macrumors regular

Ramsos

Thanks iJon and Vector and to answer your question "Why are you so concerned with taking pictures, compressing them, and uploading them back to the phone?" I just thought that if you compressed them they would be a smaller file and take up less space which would allow you to hold more pics. Pictures are'nt the only thing important to me about the phone but I think its a cool perk. The quality of the camera is really of no concern to me I already have a digital camera, but I think it would be cool to have some of my favorite pics on my phone to show people, which is why I'm trying to figure out the proper settings in photoshop to convert my existing photos for use with this phone. I have another question which is how is the battery life on the phone. BTW I know that there has been many post about this phone in the past here at macrumors, I did a few searches but I did not come up with the answers to these questions. So thanks in advance for your replys.

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

the phone gets excelent battery life. as long as bluetooth is not enabled, the phone gets about 8 hours of talk time (this may be a bit off, i read a figure somewhere but i am too lazy to find it) and many days worth of standby time. I talk on mine a good deal and have yet to have a problem with it running down midway through my day or anything inconvenient like that.

As for the compression, it can probably be done, but i am not sure that compressing the jpeg file more is going to yield much additional space. If it can decrease the file size, i doubt that the picture will look very good.

6. Ramsos thread starter macrumors regular

Ramsos

Wow about 8 hours of talk time! My motorola v60i barley gets 2 that would be one heck of an improvement.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i dont talk on my phone that much, just real quick and brief conversations so i charge my phone like every week and a half, its great.

iJon

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Great phone. Best cell phone I've ever owned. I have already taken advantage of the damage insurance though. Dropped mine in a parking lot and the aluminum back got banged up enough to justify the $35 deductable.

Should be nice to be able to iSync with my forthcoming G5.

9. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

i own a t616 i don't get 8hrs of talktime. several day of standby is accurate though, I've never drained the battery but i got an alert after probably 3 hrs of talking and a days worth of standby (all when BT is not enabled)

I can't comment on it BT connection as MY Mac is still 'in the mail.' The camera is sub-par for camera phones but the screen is excellent, except in direct sunlight were it can get washed out.

I've run out of room on my phone only becasue of games i keep placing on it :) you can free up space by deleting themes backgorunds, sounds etc.

the casing (metallic) can get scrached when in my pockets with otheritems (change KEys (myfault) but the screen seems impervious to scratching.

the software is excellent, I've owned many phones (nokia 6100, R380W, T68i/m, etc) this is by far the best all-in-one solution.

call quality on 850 enabled networks (as rogers Canada is) is spectacular!! the best i've yet had on ANY phone. the T68 was awfull in comparison.

I highly recommend the phone and when i get my 12in PB i'll let you know how the BT works :) I have tested it with a BT handfree headset, its excellent and as good if not better than use with other BT phones (t68, nokia 6100)

cheers
    Matt

10. Ramsos thread starter macrumors regular

Ramsos

11. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

12. Ramsos thread starter macrumors regular

Ramsos

Yeah I've been there before, but I think 2 or three would be good for me. Myt610.net/ is a good site.:)

13. Ramsos thread starter macrumors regular

Ramsos

Does anybody have a suggestion as to what bluetooth adapter I should buy to use this phone with my tibook? A low price would be great, can I use any usb dongle or are there some that won't work with macs? Will any adapters say mac compatible on the pakaging or will it just say pc compatible and just work with the mac?

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah there are some by dlink, keyspan, and some other companies. they are usb dongles, real smalll and usually are about 49 dolars.

iJon