Sony-Ericsson T616, where to get it and is it good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by WannabeSQ, Jul 24, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

I have been waiting for the T610, and it is finally out (Well, it was available to purchase, but it was over $500, no plan, and was sold on ebay, and for me, $500 is too much to risk on ebay) anyways, now it is out, and its sibling the T616. From what I understand, the T616 is a more "north american" phone in that it uses GSM 850 instead of GSM 900 as in the T610. They both use GSM 1800 and GsM 1900. Ive found the T616 from cingular's website for $200, and the T610 from Amazon through t-Mobile for $99 after rebate. Are there any other deals out there? I think I'd rather have the T616 and Cingular, cause of the reception, and Cingular has free nights and weekends, tmobile only has free weekends.

So, are there any deals out there for a T616? (or does somebody know something that I don't and I should get the T610?)

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

I should also add, the T616 isn't listed on the iSync page, only the T610. They are practically identical, so I would assume it would work, but you never know.

3. macrumors 6502

I think they are identical enough that isync shouldn't care. I'm going to go look at cingular, but I really hope ATT wireless goes and supports this danged phone. I guess I could buy a cracked one...but then no deals from the telco for getting a service plan.

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 604

scem0

If you are able to sign up for a new service then I would suggest going to amazon.

They have some great deals of some great phones if you sign up for a service when you buy the phone.

I reeeeeeeally need a new phone, and I am at the end of a contract with a service provider (cingular I think), so I am gunna get a new phone from Amazon and a new service. :)

scem0

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Amazon doesn't sell Cingular plans. They have everything but cingular sprint and verizon.

Anyways, does anyone know where I can get the t616 for less than $200 and preferably with just a one year commitment, but if the phone is cheap enough, a 2 year one is fine. Ive only found it on the cingular page, and from overseas sites. Anybody know something I don't?

7. macrumors 604

scem0

Cingular sucks anyways :rolleyes:, that's what I'm on and I am going to go to something else and get a free phone from Amazon. And maybe even get $100 in the process:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...weeno/002-2884767-3048824?v=glance&s=wireless

scem0

8. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i have a question...

the T61* is basically a replacement for the T68*. Has anyone played with one? Is it faster than the doggedly slow T68? Is the reception better than the horrible T68?

I am really thinking of buying a T616, but I need to know that it has better reception than the T68. I have to sit by my window in my place to talk on the phone. That is really annoying.

9. macrumors 6502a

Vector

From what i have heard the menus are faster than they were on the t68

I was also thinking of getting one of these, but does anyone know how the reception on this one is compared to the t68i or to nokia phones.

I want the t616 because of the bluetooth functionality and sony-ericsson's wireless bluetooth headsets, but if the reception isn't any better than the t68 i may have to go with a nokia as i know their reception is good.

10. macrumors 68020

idkew

exactly my reason, except i have a jabra freespeak headset. plus, i use iCal and Address Book on my Mac and need one that syncs through bluetooth with these apps.

11. macrumors 6502

T610

Just 3 days ago I got my t610 from T-Mobile.

It only cost $100 after rebates from Amazon. So far this phone is nothing short of awesome. It does have a few shortcomings, however.

Namely, RF reception and screen visibility are its two main weaknesses. When I'm inside at work I simply cannot get any signal, but as soon as I hit the front door- boom, full signal. Also, sometimes the signal fluctuates wildly. It shows fingerprints everywhere, too.

The best things about the phone are the amazing color screen- 65000 colors, polyphonic ringtones, bluetooth (paired w/the sallingclicker, oh yeah!), themes, and size.

I have heard, though, that the t616 on Cingular's network gets better reception, as it was tweaked for the north american market.

Hope that helps at least someone.

-jeff

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

The reception issue is one reason why I am leaning towards the t616 and Cingular. Also Cingular has nights and weekends, tmobile has just weekends. For the same monthly cost and same anytime minutes too.

ANyone know how the t616 will work in the southern california area (the valley)?

13. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: i have a question...

you know, i was told many of these things before i got my t68i. im thinking a firmware update solved this. out of the box my menus abd pressing buttons were instant, i never have a waiting symbol or anything. and i get clear calls all around town and everywhere sprint couldnt. but it doesnt really matter. just to let you know i think a firmware update fixed that.

iJon

14. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Yeah, my t68i works great, I love the phone. I'm thinking of getting a t616 just because I want the better screen, but I wouldn't get rid of my t68. I'd use it every now and then still. I was surprised when I heard people saying that they had such a bad experience with it.

Also, avoid t-mobile if possible. I've heard from a variety of people that the service is less than par. It's my experience that Verizon and ATT have the best service.

15. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Only problem is that Verizon doesn't have the Sony Ericsson phones. Sigh... :(

16. macrumors 6502

That is untrue. Verizon already has the T61c (in some areas), but I don't think its a very good phone. Pretty rudimentary, compared to others.

Verizon is getting the Sony Ericsson t606 (not released yet). iSync works with the t608 (from Sprint PCS), which has bluetooth. The t606 is identical to the t608, minus bluetooth. Stupid verizon. I still want the phone though .. it looks great.

The reason Verizon and Sprint have gotten so few phones is because Sony Ericsson has not made many CDMA phones. They usually focus on GSM. The t608 is actually the first CDMA phone with bluetooth built in. Neat phones, I think. I can't wait for them to come out.

17. macrumors 68020

idkew

Re: Re: i have a question...

how do i get a firmware update?

i have been tring to do this, but everyone (t-mobile, s-e) says they don't do it?!?!

18. macrumors 68020

idkew

also- can someone let us (me) know how reception on the t616 is please.

19. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: i have a question...

you can be daring and do it youself or send it back to sony ericsson and they will do it for you.

iJon

20. macrumors 68020

idkew

Re: Re: Re: Re: i have a question...

and how may i do it myself?

21. thread starter macrumors 6502

back on topic, does anyone know where I can get a t616 with anything less than a 2 year agreement? The cheapest ive found (and only place that sells it with a plan) is the cingular website, and it is $150 with a trade in of an old phone, which I have plenty of. Any better deals? or should I just bite the bullet and get it?

Also, how does everyone feel about camera phones and sending pictures? It sounds cool, and one of my friends has one, but it is an extra $7 a month. I guess it would be cool have the internet on my phone, to look up movie times etc, but is there real value to it?

22. macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Actually if you take the plan with 600 anytime minute at $39.99 Nights and Weekend are free on Tmobil

23. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I got the T616 from Cingular... paid $150 for it after the trade-in... I'll be on my third T616 soon... :(

First one was getting weird reception and had some dead pixels...

Second one had some more dead pixels and the camera had a bleaching "skunk" white stripe effect... very uncool. Wish me luck that the third one is the charm.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

well, ok, but the T Mobile one is the t610, which I dont think will have as great reception as the t616 cause the t616 uses GSM 850, and the t610 uses GSM 900, which is not used in the US. Also, I only need the 300 minute plan, as I don't use my phone all that much (my current verizon plan is for 60 mins!!!) so for my purposes the T Mobile plan is out. Not to mention that with T Mobile the phone costs more out of pocket, and a higher activation fee. the Cingular phone is $200 with a $50 mail in rebate, the T Mobile is $300 and I can only get the $120 rebate cause I cant afford the $39.95/MO plan and i dont need the minutes.

25. macrumors 68020

idkew

your logic makes no sense.

you want a $300 phone for only MINIMAL use. You can afford to buy a $300 phone, but can't afford $40 a month.

why not just get the cheapest phones since you barely use it? this is not a priceless sports car. this is an expensive consumer electronic device which will depreciate almost immediately to nothing. why buy it if you don't use it?