Sony Ericsson T637 and iSync anyone?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by obelix, May 9, 2005.

1. obelix macrumors member

Does anyone own at Sony Ericsson T637 and can confirm that it works flawlessly with iSync. I know it is on the list of phones iSync supports but I went to try out a Motorolla v551 the other day and although it paired just fine with the bluetooth it refused to find it in iSync. So now I'll looking at the Ericsson but I want to confirm that it works before I buy it off ebay.

There are only 2 things I need iSync to do:
    1. sync my addresses
    2. sync my iCal events

And thats it! Anything else is merely a feature :)

Can anyone help?

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that, from my perspective, my T637 works great with iSync. It always pairs nicely and I haven't had any problems.

The bad news is that the T637 itself has some limitations. It does NOT store addresses, period. You couldn't type them in manually even if you wanted to. It does a great job with multiple phone numbers and an email address, though.

The only other problem you might notices is that the calendar does not support untimed events... so that if you have an all day event in iCal, it will show up as a 12:00am-11:59pm event on the T637. Not that big a deal, but if you have multiple other events, it can be a bit squished.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Seconded motion. The T637 works perfectly with iSync & Bluetooth but is otherwise somewhat limited. The RF is only fair to middling, and as the previous poster said, is not the phone for you if you need addresses on your phone. The number of phone book entries is also limited -- to 200 IIRC. I needed to make a mobile phone group in Address Book. The camera also really stinks (didn't matter to me).

4. obelix thread starter macrumors member

If the choice was between this and a treo what would you choose?

5. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Are you using Tiger? If so, search a recent posts on this subject; there is minor hack to the iSync.app package that allows the v551 to sync flawlessly in Tiger. The issue is that Motorola changed how the phone is identified in a recent firmware upgrade (from "v551" to "v551J") and iSync has not been updated. My guess is that this will be officially fixed in 10.4.1.

Having said that, about two weeks ago I replaced a T616 with the v551. IMO, ceteris paribus, I would take the T637. I prefer the interface, the "candy bar" design and seemingly a better history of working with iSync.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

sync the addresses with your iPod!

7. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure that is a just comparison. Isn't the Treo significantly more expensive. Sure, if I didn't already have a Palm when I was getting my cell phone, and I could have gotten a decent deal on a Treo, I may have considered it. However, I personally use my cell phone and Palm in completely separate environments so I kinda want/like having them separate.