Sony Ericsson W600i....Mac Friendly?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zagato27, Jun 9, 2006.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I'm currently signed up with Sprint but am about to change over to Cingular. I'll be getting a family plan and will be updating everyone's phones. With the exception of my son's LG the rest of "ours" are a bit long in the tooth.

My son wants the Sony Ericsson W600i. Does anyone have an experience with this model? My son has a PC but I too am considering this phone. Is it Mac friendly?

My daughter wants the Nokia 6030. She has a iBook w/ BT. Hmm, guess that BT doesn't really matter. She's a college sophmore and will use it for talk (duh) and text messaging.

Lastly, I've been thinking about the Sony Ericsson Z520a.

Any input on these devices would be helpfull. Additionally, your thoughts on Cingular would be great. We live in GA, vcty of Savannah. I travel northward up to the Northeast frequently. Thanks. Cheers

2. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

3. ozer86 macrumors newbie

the w600i is the same as the w600. i have that phone and i just switched from sprint to cingular. That phone works really good with macs that have build in BT. You can exchange music files, sync flawlessly, exchange pictures, videos, and you can even remote control the mac from the phone. I have found out that the remote control works best with powerpoint if you are doing some sort of presentation. Really nice phone, i recommend it.:D

4. joebells macrumors 6502

Yeah I've read good things about the w600i over on howardforums.com those guys are all about their cell phones.

5. PatrickF macrumors 6502

I can definitely confirm that the Z520 works without any modifications. the W800 should work too and if it doesn't then all you'll need to do is make a slight modification to one of the plist files in iSync. SE phones work VERY well with iSync and the Mac in general.

Now, Nokia phones on the other hand. Not sure but even ones listed as being compatible aren't always compatible. I tried a 6230 that is supposed to work but wouldn't because the firmware on it was too old. Stay well clear of Nokia if you want to get a phone that will work flawlessly with Mac/Bluetooth.

6. joebells macrumors 6502

I think thats kind of a blanket statement. I have heard of some problems here and there with se's and synching with a mac, not alot but some. Me and my girlfriends nokia 6620's sync beautifully with osx. Plus according to the isync page the se doesn't sync the caller id pictures liky our nokia 6620s do(maybe the se's don't support picture caller id?)

7. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I have the UK equivalent of the W600i, the W550i. It is a brilliant phone and it is totaly Mac friendly! I transfer loads of things to it like photos, and even AAC audio and games. All works fine, and fast because it has BT 2.0. And it has about 250 MB of space on it which is quite a lot for a mobile phone. Go ahead and get it!

8. DeniseT macrumors newbie

No built in BT in my Mac.

I don't have built in BT nor a BT dongle and I'm thinking of purchasing a w600i. Will I have a problem with the USB cable? Will it still work fine?

Thank you!

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I don't like the phone much because you can't silence the shutter on the camera. That's why sony phones are horrible! :eek:

10. PatrickF macrumors 6502

The USB cable works fine. There used to be an issue when you disconnected the cable that OS X would give a kernel panic, but someone wrote a driver fixing this. Not sure if it's been officially fixed since I've not used my USB cable for ages.

Using the USB cable iPhoto will launch and offer to download the pictures from your phone for you and you will see your memory stick as a drive in Finder. I'm not sure, however, if iSync supports syncing via USB cable.

This is only true in some regions. I believe that certain countries have laws against this. My K750i in the UK does mute the "shutter" sound when the phone is in silent mode.

11. DeniseT macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks for answering my query, PatrickF. :) I was worried about it because I checked out the manual in a cellphone store here and there's a CD-ROM entitled "PC suite" so I thought it might not be compatible with a Mac (which is what I have).

Would anyone know if I can use the usb cable and iSync to transfer mp3's?

12. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I've got the W600i. It works with Mac, but it takes some work. I found an iSync plugin, which makes it work with isync just fine. Music is a little more difficult; there are a few programs out there that do it, but its generally slow and a little clunky.

BTW, the shutter is silent when the phone is on silent.

The music functions are a bit lame, but if you want a well designed phone with a good interface, good reception, and a good camera, this is a great one.

13. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

ibookowner2

I have a Z520a and at first it was a great phone absoulety no problems at all, about 2 months into it I had to get that phone replaced with a new one same model, now its been a couple months and I am starting to get the old problems of dropped calls and not being able to connect constantly, my opinion is to go out and get the w600i.

14. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

same here, and I'm in the us. not sure which firmware I have, but I'm happy :)

15. PatrickF macrumors 6502

You can just copy your MP3s across in Finder with the USB cable.

16. nutmac macrumors 68030

If you can wait a bit, Cingular will release Nokia 6126 around July 5th. Although it's known for lackluster battery life, other aspects of the phones are impressive -- QVGA LCD, S40 3rd edition (much nicer looking UI), pretty small for a flip phone (not quite RAZR small though), looks pretty spiffy for a Nokia phone, excellent build quality, stereo Bluetooth support (A2DP), iSync compatible (at least via upcoming 10.4.7 update), and legendary Nokia reception and audio quality.