Sony Ericsson w600i...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tobefirst, Nov 30, 2005.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Hey, all...I was just hoping to get some thoughts on this phone. I currently have a SE T616 that I really like, but it's showing it's age. I've been waiting to buy a new phone until I found one that I really liked. This one I really like the look of, the camera quality is light years ahead of the T616's, and I even found some software on Version Tracker that would transfer a playlist from iTunes to the phone...so it's *almost* integrated. :)

Just wondering what anyone else was thinking regarding this phone, or if anyone has had any success (or failure) using a SE walkman phone with iTunes in one way or another.

By the way, I'm on cingular, so any suggestions on other phones would have to be ones that cingular carries.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

my work collegue has one next to me and he loves it , but he does not use iTunes - he uses some Kazza thingy :eek: , but he loves it ! he did not want a iPod nor did he want to have a phone and a mp3 player so it was sweet deal for him having that phone.

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I didn't figure there'd be too many thoughts on this phone just yet...it's still hella new. I went ahead and ordered it. Once I get it and play around with it, I'll post back here my thoughts and review on the phone- specifically how well it's able to integrate with iTunes via the third party software I was talking about.

I can't wait until it arrives!

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

My housemate has one of these and he rates it.

It's a pretty good phone with unique styling (hard to find with phones these days) Takes average to good photo's for a modern camera phone and as it is a Sony it plays pretty well with Bluetooth Syncing on the mac.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

have you tried to sync via bluetooth on a windows machine :D it's a joke - but as always the Mac has the best way for it

i've never really had any issues with BT syncing on my Mac

6. nutmac macrumors 68030

W600i is a pretty good upgrade from S710a (except for lower resolution LCD and missing memory stick slot), but with Nokia N80 coming soon, I would wait. Besides, 256 MB is awfully small for 2 MP pictures and music files.

7. mudflapper macrumors newbie

Go for the W800 or the K750

I have an SE K750 and it's the best mobile I've ever SEEN, let alone owned. Gorgeous 2mp camera, best I've seen in a phone period, yes, even better than the 710. It's got Bluetooth which is essential, especially if you have a Mac. It also comes with a memory stick duo slot with support for up to 2gb sticks (possibly even 4gb but that hasn't been tested yet). With that free iTunes app available at MacUpdate (can't remember the name, it's at home), it syncs flawlessly with a playlist in iTunes. BRILLIANT! The sound is top notch too, comparable to any iPod, although the phone comes with a customizable EQ and MegaBass, both of which the iPod STILL doesn't have.

You can get either model, they're the same hardware, the software is a little different. The W800 has a flight mode so you can use it on planes. I have cingular as well, and both phones work well with the service. Get whichever is cheapest, I'd say.

Personally, I stay away from Nokias. They feel a bit cheap and the interfaces aren't as intuitive. SE is the only phone manufacture that makes mobiles that feel something like a phone Apple would design, know what I mean?

Hope that helps.

m

8. nutmac macrumors 68030

As an owner of S710, I am not convinced of the swivel design. Although W600 has shed some of thickness, it is still rather thick phone. Although K750/W800's small low resolution screen would make it harder to do Internet activities (email, web browsing), I do like its slim candy bar form factor. However, as a Cingular user, I must have 850 MHz GSM capable phone. 1900 MHz GSM band in San Francisco Bay Area is very weak.

I think sliding form factor such as N80 is optimal, providing both large screen necessary for Internet activities, it is not as thick as swivel design.

As far as Nokia is concerned, I am not a fan of its dated UI either. However, new Nokia series have redesigned UI that is quite attractive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

tobefirst, I'm in the exact same situation as you. I've got a T616 and I love it, but it is starting to show its age. I can't wait to hear your review of the w600i. Cingular's current price is $150 after $100 MIR, which is not bad at all.

The N80 (and other new nokia phones) as well as the W800 are awesome, but beyond my budget at this point.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

W600i is a good phone. Feels good to hold and the swivel design works solidly.

Only downside I can see on this is the 256MB memory limit, which isn't a massive amount for a 'walkman' phone.

11. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

i think it looked great
    if have had the right cellular service i would def get this phone
    i like it way better then the ROKR
    and the camera is a nice addon

although the w800i is even nice :)

12. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

the colour on it is a bit too bright, unlike the publicity photos... but it feels solid and it has good gamong button on it... other than that... the w800i is still much better in term of memory capacity

13. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I stopped in at my local Cingular dealer today and played around with the w600. It was pretty nice, not too big. A little thicker than the t616, and about the same height with the weird antenna thing. Seems like a solid phone, and the swivel design works. The number buttons seem like they may be difficult to press, but maybe it gets easier with more use.

Any comments on mac compatibility? I just need to make sure it is reasonably simple to sync contacts/calendars and add music.

14. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

15. canolapop macrumors newbie

w600i ups and downs

i buy and sell my phones like its an addiction. i just can't seem to be happy with them. to be honest my favorite phone ever (of course only in retrospect) was my nokia 3650. i called it the cadilac (bc it was so big). beside the round keypad, i loved that phone. since i have owned quite a few nokias, SE, and motos, including the razor, rokr, s710, and now the w600i. i loved the s710, hated the motos (even though have itunes compatibility was fantastic, just hated the OS, it really is terrible) since i loved the s710 and felt the w600 improved on a few of the down sides, i bought one and still have it.
    everthing about it is great except one thing. as a mac user, the disc 2 phone software is not compatible, that being said, i have researched some 3rd party software and none of it cuts it. the major complaint is that ever time i synce my music, it puts 2 files on the phone, one is a playable version of the song (and the sound quality is great) the second is an extra, non-playable file that appears as unknown and is seemingly un-erasable from the phone. i had the same problem with the s710. it really bugs me bc it shows up in the random playlist and sometimes freezes the phone. also, after every USB sync the phone crashes. SE only really release products to use easily with windows and i can't get any answers or solutions. (if anyone knows, that would be great)
    hope my opinion is helpful.