Sony Europe/Insomniac versus the Church

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Jun 13, 2007.

1. macrumors Core

Dagless

Everyone probably knows about this already.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6736809.stm

I'm from Manchester so totally see where the Church are coming from here. It's been a city plagued by shootings and bombings in the past. A target for gangs (I blame Tony Wilson) and terrorists, and Insomniac thought it wise to base an FPS there? Silly silly.
    That said the violence seems to have died down now. The "hot topics" now are stabbings in London and shootings in Nottingham. Though I've almost been mugged myself a few times.

2. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Next thing you know the church of scientology will sue MS and Sony for portraying aliens in a bad light.

Yes this lawsuit is frivolous and quite ridiculous.

Old news too ;)

Ed

3. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

[​IMG]

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

What a load of old s***....

I think Resistance did more damage to Grimsby. I mean dirty, full of foul mouthed aliens.... Grimsby's nothing like that.... oh wait....... :eek: :p :D

5. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

How about we stick a Virginian school in Duke Nukem Forever? Would that be a bit of a riot, no? What about demolitioning "twin" towers? Not the wisest move?

6. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've actually got to agree with Jimmi on this one. It is about the equivalent of putting a school in an FPS. I can see how it might cause quite a stir.

And thanks for posting this. I couldn't figure out what the CAD comic was talking about.

7. macrumors 68020

bobber205

I just laughed and laughed. Why does the church care? $$$. That's it. Their a business too. ;)

I can't seriously imagine many people were that upset. While putting in FPS in a school (especially one modeled after real life) is a little silly, it's still just a game.

8. macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah but if Bully (Canis Canem Edit) barely got away with what THAT game has then a school on a first person shooter will just never happen, the media will go berserk.

In any case, I don't think putting a church in a shooter is that big of a deal.

9. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, I can agree that it shouldn't be in there. I don't think the church should be eligible for any significant sum of money out of it though.

10. macrumors 68040

takao

well on the one side i can understand the opinion that it's perhaps silly but on the other side it's _their_ property and if they don't like being used in a video game that's totally fine with me

my guess is that if they asked nicely before it wouldn't have been much of a problem

11. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I guess now, we should just start arresting players and game makers alike eh?

12. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This is just stupid. How many other games used a church/white house/whatever in a game.

Well if I was thinking what some people are thinking in this thread I would seriously believe video games really do influence killing...especially alien killings.

Yes this is old news.

Note: Sony reps said they had all the grants they needed to recreate landmarks so whatever.

Bless

13. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally I think the Church should have handed this over to Manchester council. Folk seem really tied up in the religious and church aspect over it - when they've said themselves it's irresponsible of sticking an FPS in Manchester.

As I said before, it's the equivalent of putting *insert violent state's school here* in an FPS. It just so happens to be the church persuing it as they have Manchesters best interest at heart. I mean you'd think Insomniac would have done a bit of research first. It pretty much is a faux pas.

14. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I think its a ridiculous waste of resources and money. Frivolous lawsuits do nothing more than tie up the legal system and waste the taxpayers money. That is what this situation is, frivolous.

Pretty much defines this situation...

Jimmi your comparisons are as ridiculous as the actions of the church.

Ed

15. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

They did do their research jimmi, you failed to do yours.....;)

source

16. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Umm. What? You mean a city that has been victim to the IRA (since you don't seem to know about this - they were terrorists who blew stuff up) on numerous occasions and since the start of the 80's has been one of the gun capitals of the world (Gunchester).

Then tell me putting said city in a game isn't as insensitive as putting VT/Columbine (or even just an anonymous school) in an FPS.

* the point.

17. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

of all the atrocities that happened all over the world, especially the ones used in video games......THIS is hte one the breaks the camel's back?
    a partial representation of a church used in an alien game.....are you serious?

Pearl Harbor, Wake Island, Hiroshima, Nazi Germany, Communsit Russia, etc. etc, etc.
    I guess its ONLY becoming an issue now, because "graphics" now are allowing for greater detail in games.

Its still absurd.

18. macrumors 604

zap2

This is CRAP...grade "A" BS.

But then again its the Church so is anyone shocked at them for making stuff up to get money and power?

19. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

You didn't answer my question. What would you make of an FPS being based in VT/Columbine? Would you not think it was a little distasteful following recent events?

20. macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

meh. This doesn't even come close to Postal 2's absurdity.

21. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Your getting into emotional opinion, which has no clear cut right and wrong.......

If it was a coincidence, then I don't see the issue. If it was made right after the events purely for the sake of generating profits, then yes - it is distasteful. I think you are missing the point. Are the people that are actually playing this game the ones who are offended. Did they suffer losses after having flashbacks of gunfights with IRA Aliens? Are people now turning away from the church, because they can no longer walk in and feel spiritual?

Who is really offended/violated here and why?

again, this is absurd.

22. macrumors 604

zap2

Distasteful and illegal are too different things

23. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

nm

24. macrumors 68020

I've played Resistance (on co-op) for a few hours, so I definitely didn't finish the game, but I don't remember the Church of England part anywhere in the game. Reading the article tells me that the Church of England was basically one level of the game. Umm... 'kay?

That doesn't sound like anything new in the world of gaming in the slightest. Rainbow Six: Eagle Watch (the first expansion for the first game) had many "real" locations. The Forbidden City, the Capitol, Big Ben, etc. Any complaints? Nope.

Tell me... Just because a video game uses a real place, does it mean that it "trains" you to be able to go postal in the real place? To me, it sounds like the complainers are telling me because a real place is simulated, it teaches you how to load a gun, shoot a gun, build bombs, and perform other atrocities. You guys in the same league as the anti-violent game people?

The concern that appears to be building because of Resistance seems to be this might invoke more violence. Well, um, video games don't make violent people. Sorry, guys. It may be distasteful, but don't blame the game for violence.