Sony fans

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mackilroy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Well, I'm looking to pick up a PS2 (finally). I'm in no way a Sony fanboy, but I'm a big fan of Hideo Kojima and I'd like to try out the MGS games that I never played (other than MGS2 on the Xbox). So, I'd certainly be grabbing those games, but are there any other good ones out there? I'm not a big RPG fan (except maybe for KOTOR and TES) so that's out, but I do like adventure games and stealth games.

Any suggestions?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    MGS2 sucked balls on the Xbox. The control's weren't correct ports from the PS2, and the game slowed incredibly on the Xbox with minimal enemy activity on screen.

MGS3 is superb. It owns MGS2 in every way.

Other great games are Twisted Metal Black, Katamari Demacy, the Ace Combat Series, Ghost Recon, Armored Core series, ICO, FFX... Man, there's a ton of good games for this console.

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I spent an entire afternoon playing Ratchet and Clank and ended up really liking it.

*LP needle comes scratching off the record, all goes silent. I look around for a minute. I duck*

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

MGS2....I loved this
    Silent Hill: 2,3,4......excellent games
    ICO, Shadow of the colossus are grand
    haunting grounds...great
    MGS3: Subsistence...great
    POP: 1,3

Bless

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Pretty good list right there, If you haven't played it try Resident Evil 4...

ShadoW

6. Mackilroy thread starter macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I got it for five bucks, so I wasn't worried about cost.

Already have all the Ghost Recon games, AC looks interesting, I don't care for Katamari…

ICO and SotC look mildly interesting. If I wanted RE4, I'd get the Gamecube version, but I'm not into horror/adventure games like that.

The Final Fantasy games do look a bit interesting…

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Get VII, VIII and IX (PSX games, but they'll still be great fun), as well as X-2. I'm probably going to get shot for this, but X-2 is far better than X, IMHO. And get XII either when it comes out, or if you speak/read Japanese, now :D

8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

It may not be the kinda game you listed, but GTA: San Andreas is an awesome game! :D

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

My name is whooleytoo, and I'm a Jak and Dexter fan.. :eek:

Especially the 3rd game, very GTA-ish in your ability to just hijack any ride.

Another which I quite liked - Dropship. I really like the mix of macro/micro scales - you zoom over the countryside in the dropship, slow to hover speed and close in on your target in a base/city, land, then drive out and wander around the base in a land vehicle; back in, take off and zoom away.

Killzone is very good, but very, very linear; even more so than Halo.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Killzone was great...loved the graphics and weapons. I would like to add The Mark of Kri.

Bless

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Didn't like Mark of Kri tbh. it was definetly a love it / hate it title. Guess i fell into the other catagory.

Killzone was an ok shooter if taken on it's own merit. Nothing special, but fun for a few hours. It's just that they promised SO much more than they delivered and dissapointed a lot of people...

Jeezus Lad, ye dont want to be go telling dat around Cork... Ye might end up being kneecapped :D

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats the second one right?....I never played that one but the first one knocked me off my feet with all that chopping and capping..KINUTA!!!....lol loved that.

For the life of me I've never played any Jax or Ratchet game........I'm liking Sly Cooper.

Bless

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Oh yeah, Jak pwns Rachet And Clank, all the way :)

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Pssst! "whooleytoo" isn't my read name! ;)

(Serious brownie points for getting the Cork accent "down pat"!!)

16. Mackilroy thread starter macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Hmm. Jak sounded a little interesting but I'll skip it for now.

I might pick up Gran Turismo 4. I'm not a huge racing fan but I like to play games like that from time to time. There are other racing games for the PS2, right?

17. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I almost fell off the floor laughing.

It's kinda like saying, "were there any sports games for the Sega Genesis?"

18. Mackilroy thread starter macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You might laugh, but you have to understand one thing: I know very little about the PS2, save for the top-tier titles. I've never owned a Playstation in my life so comparatively I'm a complete n00b when it comes to the PS. ;)

19. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

GOD OF WAR!
    Resident Evil 4
    Shadow of The Colossus

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd suggest Kingdom Hearts. It's got a lot of RPG elements but at the same time similarities to Zelda (an adventure game, and combat is somewhat similar).

If you can like KOTOR...

Oh, if you don't already have it, get Burnout 3.

21. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I totally agree on the kingdom hearts, I actually really dislike RPG games (the turn based ones at least) and I LOVE Zelda games, and Kingdom Hearts is like that. Especially if you like any Disney movies, then it is totally for you.

22. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

there's sony fans?! sorry, had to.

how bout Tekken? i only have Tekken 4 but 5 probably is good.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't get it :confused: What is so bad about liking Sony? Are they sacraficing animals and little kids behind my back?

24. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Hahaha, maybe. I think a lot of people don't like Sony because of the PS3, lots of people were super turned off to the system after its E3 showing. I want to wait to judge....and buy because I can't afford 600 bucks for a game system, but $250 sounds great to me!;)

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    If you can, track downa copy of Casltevania: Symphony of the Night for the original Playstation. You'll also need an original playstation memory card, but this game is easily the BEST installment of the entire Castlevania series. It's a cult classic and they go on ebay for as much as 90 bucks, but if you can track it down at a local game shop then it'll probably be 10-15.