Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sony is set to release up to six games for iOS in the financial year starting April in the hope of replicating Nintendo's phenomenal success with Pokémon Go (via Reuters).

The upcoming titles will bring popular Sony franchises such as Everybody's Golf to iOS devices for the first time, said the company. Previously Sony has only launched a few games for smartphones through its music entertainment division, but the new games will be "mobile designated" and be produced through its PlayStation business.

23500221561_5234561772_z.jpg
Everybody's Golf on PlayStation 4

Sony also revealed on Wednesday that it is working on 10 mobile gaming titles, including those to be released next year. The 10 titles include PaRappa the Rapper and Arc The Lad. Japan will be first to get the games, before rollout to other Asian countries and eventually likely elsewhere, depending on initial success.

Despite its huge success in the console market worldwide, Sony is facing increasing heat from mobile in countries such as Japan, the world's third largest game market where mobile gaming accounts for more than half of the $12.4 billion market, according to games research firm Newzoo.

The announcement comes just a week before Nintendo debuts Super Mario Run on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The endless runner game goes live on the App Store on December 15 for $9.99.

Article Link: Sony's PlayStation Division to Release 6 Mobile Games for iOS Next Year

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Umm if they do bring out their full versions of the games then that could mean some of the highest priced but best quality games of iOS. I'm all for it but I think they will keep it simple and not full game and will end up doing runners like the new Mario one and stuff like Pokemon go and charge even more than Nintendo. Im a gamer and won't ever spend $10 on an endless runner no matter if Mario is the protagonist.
[doublepost=1481115439][/doublepost]
Eeew... Just my opinion, obviously a lot of folks disagree, but I don't want them stepping into the smartdevice game market.

Same for Nintendo, oh well.

Glassed Silver:ios
Why ewww?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I forgot all about Pokémon Go since moving to a new town (population 3.5k). Haven't seen a single person aimlessly walking around staring at their phones. I don't think Nintendo knows about this small town in the mountains...

Reactions: naeS1Sean

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
Imagine uncharted on iOS
Sorry, but no. Touch controls to move Nathan Drake around sounds just painful. Just like any console game that has physical controls on a console simply don't work on mobile. I've played the FIFAs, the GTAs, Deus Ex, Bioshock, etc - all games that got ported to iOS with touch controls. I played them for a little while on my iPad and I end up playing them back on a console due to having a controller.
Nintendo has the right idea in bringing games to mobile by changing the controls and game mechanics to fit in with touch screens. I hope Sony takes cues from them.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Sorry, but no. Touch controls to move Nathan Drake around sounds just painful. Just like any console game that has physical controls on a console simply don't work on mobile. I've played the FIFAs, the GTAs, Deus Ex, Bioshock, etc - all games that got ported to iOS with touch controls. I played them for a little while on my iPad and I end up playing them back on a console due to having a controller.
Nintendo has the right idea in bringing games to mobile by changing the controls and game mechanics to fit in with touch screens. I hope Sony takes cues from them.
This. So much this. Nobody should want that subpar experience.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
CA, USA

Agreed! Certain games are not meant to be palyed in a smartphone. But if Sony ported their games to tvOS, that would be amazing; a game changer. It could be the beginning of AAA game franchises being ported to an Apple platform. I believe Apple TV has a very good potential to become an integrated gaming and entertaining machine.

Reactions: ErikGrim

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Agreed! Certain games are not meant to be palyed in a smartphone. But if Sony ported their games to tvOS, that would be amazing; a game changer. It could be the beginning of AAA game franchises being ported to an Apple platform. I believe Apple TV has a very good potential to become an integrated gaming and entertaining machine.
Would you really want that? AAA titles on the ATV will look and perform like poop. The ATV hardware is good for what it does. Very casual stuff. It ain't gonna push a Bloodbourne, God of War, or Last of Us.

- Waaaaaay off topic - speaking of Last of Us... can you imagine how crippled the game would have to be to run on the ATV? The ATV would literally "Note" trying to render this:

Reactions: RuralJuror

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
CA, USA
Would you really want that? AAA titles on the ATV will look and perform like poop. The ATV hardware is good for what it does. Very casual stuff. It ain't gonna push a Bloodbourne, God of War, or Last of Us.

- Waaaaaay off topic - speaking of Last of Us... can you imagine how crippled the game would have to be to run on the ATV? The ATV would literally "Note" trying to render this:

That's true, but I think it is still in the realm of possibility to have such games run beautifully on ATV if they were optmized using METAL and ran on a newer Apple TV, perhaps powered by an A11 chip.

I just feel games are a huge part of iOS and now that the ATV can download apps from the App Store, and the use of the Siri remote is no longer required in games, there is huge potential for tha ATV to become a gaming machine, but maybe not in the near future...

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Imagine uncharted on iOS
I'm imagining it... it doesn't look to great in my head...
[doublepost=1481126442][/doublepost]

While you're definitely right that the ATV doesn't have anywhere near the grunt needed to render those games, that doesn't mean that a premium, engaging, and beautiful game couldn't be created for the ATV. And now that the devs can require a controller, that's one major hurdle out of the way. Porting the newest blockbusters is obviously off the table, but maybe the best of the PS3?

Okay, I'll be honest. I just want Journey on a platform I actually own.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
I'm imagining it... it doesn't look to great in my head...
[doublepost=1481126442][/doublepost]
While you're definitely right that the ATV doesn't have anywhere near the grunt needed to render those games, that doesn't mean that a premium, engaging, and beautiful game couldn't be created for the ATV. And now that the devs can require a controller, that's one major hurdle out of the way. Porting the newest blockbusters is obviously off the table, but maybe the best of the PS3?

Okay, I'll be honest. I just want Journey on a platform I actually own.
I don't doubt a great looking game could be created for a future, more powerful ATV. I do have doubts it will happen with the major studios. I also have doubts the majority of ATV app users would be as supportive. Gamers are niche. Gaming can be primarily categorized by PC, Console, and Mobile. PC and Console gamers are used to $50+ titles. Mobile gamers for the most part, are used to Freemium IAP games. Getting those IAP gamers to fork over $10-25 for a decent title... if history is any indication, very few are willing to do so. Would iOS devs take the risk? Probably. I would if I was in their shoes. Would a major studio like Naughty Dog? I don't know.

My biggest question wouldn't even be the games, studios, or gamers. It's Apple. Apple of late really doesn't instill confidence that they'd be willing to upgrade the hardware properly. Imo, the ATV4 should have been, at a minimum, on par with the power of the Nvidia Shield. But, hey what do I know. They know best what sells to their customers and I understand my gamer's perspective is a niche perspective about a niche feature of the ATV.

Reactions: RuralJuror

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I don't doubt a great looking game could be created for a future, more powerful ATV. I do have doubts it will happen with the major studios. I also have doubts the majority of ATV app users would be as supportive. Gamers are niche. Gaming can be primarily categorized by PC, Console, and Mobile. PC and Console gamers are used to $50+ titles. Mobile gamers for the most part, are used to Freemium IAP games. Getting those IAP gamers to fork over $10-25 for a decent title... if history is any indication, very few are willing to do so. Would iOS devs take the risk? Probably. I would if I was in their shoes. Would a major studio like Naughty Dog? I don't know.

My biggest question wouldn't even be the games, studios, or gamers. It's Apple. Apple of late really doesn't instill confidence that they'd be willing to upgrade the hardware properly. Imo, the ATV4 should have been, at a minimum, on par with the power of the Nvidia Shield. But, hey what do I know. They know best what sells to their customers and I understand my gamer's perspective is a niche perspective about a niche feature of the ATV.
Well, as long as I can continue to get games like Transistor (like you said, a smaller indie studio) on the ATV, I'll hold out hope that the more premium titles might eventually make the jump. Until then, I guess I ought to go looking for cheap PS3's, because I've been wanting to play Journey since like 2012 and it's really looking like it's never going to get ported anywhere.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
Apple needs a Pippin 2... and throw in an Apple TV in there while they're at it.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.