sony handycam dcr-dvd-403

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by derajfast, Jul 27, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

i just got a new powerbook and was wondering if there is a driver for this...i cant find it at the sony website...if not, how would i take the video off the camera and edit it with imovie........it burns to a mini dvd.....could i put this in the slot loading superdrive? i dont know any other way to do it...any help is appreciated...thanks

2. chemdav macrumors newbie

From experience Sony USB DVD camcorders suck. iMovie doesn't recognize USB connection. Only way I came up with was to rip the fottage from the finalized DVD disk (MactheRipper or something), then import footage into iMovie.

These camcorders seem to be made for people who won't do much video editing.

FYI: Sony drivers to download footage is Windows only, the quality of the footage is not as good as camcorders that use DV tapes.

3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it records directly to mini-dvd, which is a regular dvd disk, just smaller diameter........will a slot loading superdrive recgonize it, or will it get stuck in there?

4. paperinacup macrumors 6502

I don't believe the drives will be able to take that disc.

5. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

You can't use a mini-DVD in your slot-loading superdrive.

6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

so then theres pretty much no way to use or edit the video with this camcorder unless i copy it to a PC first?

7. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I had one of these , and got rid of it, because Sony, the inventor of Firewire, neglects to include it on this expensive of a camcorder. I don't care if it records to DVD or not, people still like to edit video on there computers, and USB just doesn't cut it.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just a minor correction. Sony did not invent Firewire, Apple did.

But you are right about DVD camcorders. They aren't nearly as versatile as miniDV ones.

9. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Whoops, Sorry. Just a Little tired tonight.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Sony mini DVD

Won't work directly with the Mac...no way, no how.
    And good god, do NOT insert a mini dvd into a slot loading drive...it will require a non applecare covered replacement.

11. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I was actually about to insert one into the slot loading drive! But then my brain turned on, and it said to come to the forums and check first. Boy am I glad I didn't put that little disk in to the computer.

13. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

sorry.... but no

I would try and return it for a miniDV camera

14. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

That's what I did, and couldn't be more happier. I was excited like you were about getting a direct to dvd camera, "oh great, right to dvd instead of tape" until I got it home, and realized it wasn't able to do any editing.

That is quite an expensive camcorder, $1000 right?

Return the DVD cam, and get your self a nice mini-dv cam, or you can spend $2000 total and get sony's new hd cam :rolleyes:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you must keep that camcorder, you could always get an external dvd drive that accepts mini disks.

16. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

He could, but he wants to edit the video.

17. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It is possible to edit the footage that these types of camcorders generate. You must first finalize the DVD so that it's readable on the Mac. Then, with an application like DVDxDV or Cinematize, you can convert the DVD material to DV.

Of course it's time consuming to convert then import and the quality suffers. But it is an option if the original poster cannot return the Sony.

Also, Sony used to have an adapter for the miniDVDs that will allow you to put them in slot-loading drives. It basically makes the little DVDs bigger so that the slot loaders can grab the edges. Seems like they're off the market, so maybe they didn't work all that great to begin with.