Sony handycam mini dv

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by questions, Jul 25, 2006.

1. questions macrumors member

Does anyone know if I can get my ibook to recognize my sonyhandycam (mini dv)? I lost or didn't get the disk that came with it.

2. Lebowski macrumors 6502

you dont need a disc with macs.

plug in the firewire cable to your camera, then into the mac. turn the camera to vcr mode. start imovie. it should recognize the device

3. questions thread starter macrumors member

it's a usb cable, which is probably the problem and there is no vcr mode that I can see unless it's called something else...

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The "VCR" mode is the mode you would use to play back footage that you've already recorded to the video tape, regardless of whether the camcorder is connected to anything. Generally on Sony camcorders there is a selector switch (with a little green lock button) that you use to turn the camcorder on, and it flips in two directions: the one direction turns the camcorder on and ready to record, and the other direction would set it to playback mode.

Also, all Sony mini DV camcorders that I am aware of do have Firewire ports, so check carefully again. The port will be tiny, and sort of W-shaped. Sony calls it iLink.

5. questions thread starter macrumors member

I usb cable came with the camera for the ilink port. Is there a way to get the mac to work with the usb cable? There was suppossed to be a disk that came with it for mac setup.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

iMovie requires Firewire (iLink), and won't import video via USB. You'll have to buy a cable if Sony didn't provide one with your camera. No other software is necessary.

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

He's right, you can get these cables at Staples.

You want a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable.

Also, transferring video from a camcorder to a computer over USB yields lower quality anyway so you don't want that.

8. questions thread starter macrumors member

So what is the point of giving you a usb-for pc's?
    you don't think it would work from usb even if I had the disk, or just imported the file rather than using imovie?

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It most definitely won't work over USB

One reason Sony give a USB cable is so that you can get your pictures off the memory stick

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

1. The USB cable is really only useful for video for PCs, although Firewire would still be preferred (you could connect with the USB cable and use iPhoto to get still images off, though)

2. Nope, get over the fact that you don't have 'the disk', it's not important. USB is not supported for any Apple video editing software that I can think of, and certainly not iMovie or FCP/FCE.

3. There is no way to 'import' the file, unless your camera has recorded it in .mp4 format already, which it hasn't since it's a DV camera. You need a program like iMovie to capture the data first, in order to create a .dv file.

Just buy a $10 cable (4-pin to 6-pin as mentioned) and be on your way.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually, iMovie HD supports select MPEG-4 cameras with USB (when they have mass storage driver compatibility). A shame they don't even attempt to support MPEG-2 cameras.

B

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Using a USB cable with a Sony mini DV camcorder will give you webcam quality video (e.g. 320x240 resolution). Useful in some circumstances, but not what you really want for quality video editing.