Sony Handycam

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cherielp, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Cherielp macrumors newbie

http://forums.macrumors.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1179746#
    I have received a wonderful new sony handycam hi8 for christmas and would love to up (down) load the videos to my mac. I loaded the software that came with it but was not able to get anything to show up on the mac. I am sure it's 'operator error' and anyhelp would be appreciated.... also if the 'standard' software is not adiquate i would appreciate suggestions for free - reasonably priced software that will make this work.

thank you!

2. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

You cannot capture 'Hi8' tapes to the mac. The tapes are analogue. You need to use digital tapes to capture to FCP or iMovie. You need a 'Digital8' at the very least.

Unless of course, you buy a Digital8 capture deck. Then you could capture your Hi8 tapes. However, as it stands, you're screwed.

If you could ebay it without offending anybody, I'd do so. That is, if you're really serious about video editing. If not, the best you can do without spending more money is 'in-camera-editing'.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Two options...

First, is your camcorder 'Hi8' or 'Digital8'?

If it's Hi8, then you need to get an analog capture device for your Mac. One of elgato systems' EyeTV devices will do this, as will many other similar devices. They aren't cheap, but they're the only option, since a Hi8 camcorder records in analog, and the Mac has no analog video input. (Well, unless you have a Beige G3 or older with AV inputs...)

If it's Digital8, then don't bother with any included software, just plug it in using a FireWire cable (4-pin to 6-pin,) open iMovie, turn the camcorder on (and in 'playback' or 'VTR' mode,) and go.