Sony HDV Cams

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So now there are two -

HDR-FX1 and the HDR-HC3

the fx1 uses 3 CCDs and the HC3 uses a single CMOS chip.

So why should you spend more for the FX1? I'm really considering the HC3 now - I tried to get the FX1 when Apple had it at 1999 - but that got cancelled by Apple.

D

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Sony actually has 5 HDV cams

HVR-ZIU

HDR-FX1

HVR-A1U

HDR-HC1

HDR-HC3

The FX-1, ZIU A1U are the pro models, while the HC1 and HC3 are the consumer. I haven't looked into the HC3, it's brand new, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is just an updated HC1.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was looking at the prosumer ones at sony - the hc1 isn't there anymore - replaced by the hc3 (slightly updated).

D

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I think many would miss an input for an external microphone on the HC3. According to this review, the HC3 doesn't have one. There are a lot of other differences, but this is the one that (unfortunately) rules out the HC3 for me.

- Martin

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

There were rumors of an HC5 for a while, don't know where that idea has gone.

The HC3 is an update in some ways, but I think overall, the HC1 is a better camera.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Check out the review at Camcorderinfo.com for more info in the HC3. The HC1 is better in some ways, especially with manual controls, but the HC3 is cheaper and has some pluses like top loading tapes. You can still get an external mic, but you have to use Sony's proprietary stuff. If you're a dabbler, it's a good compromise. I was a little disappointed, and am hoping to see an HC5 or what Panasonic has to offer, but nothing big came out at NAB for prosumers, so if HD isn't that big of a deal maybe go with a regular DV one. Though the new Panasonics are downgrades a bit as well and the Sony's haven't really changed much. Everyone is moving to DVD and hard drives in their consumer products, which aren't very good IMO.

Shooting themselves in the foot by not catering to prosumers if you ask me, because most of us aren't going to spend for pro stuff and find consumer stuff limiting.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Mr. Anderson,
    What are you looking for in a camera and what kinds of projects are you going to be using it for? Also, there are rumors that the FX1 might be being discontinued as many resellers are reportedly out of stock and don't know when they'll be getting more from Sony.

Who do you think is not catering to prosumers? In the past year or so JVC, Canon, Panasonic, and Sony have managed to launch a pretty impressive crop of prosumer cameras (HD100, XLH1, HVX200, and Z1U respectively).

Lethal

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

mmmm hvx200... ;)

oh, you said sony. oh, you said hdv. can't help you there.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sorry, I meant experienced hobbyist I guess. The ~$3000-5000 range is pretty covered. But look at how Panasonic and Sony released new models around $1000 that are worse than their predecessors (though they are cheaper). I don't like the hard drive models, I'd prefer miniDV, but like I said, everyone seems to be moving toward hdd and DVD. If you can find me a new camcorder in that price range with a standard hot shoe, mic inputs, and top loading tapes that doesn't suck, please do.

I'm really hoping for a new Sony or Panasonic HD model below $2000 retail with the features of, like, a 3CCD PS-GV400 or DCR-TRV950, but I'm not holding my breath.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Mr. Anderson,
    I think this board will have some info you might like.
    http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=99

solvs,
    The gap between "hi-end consumer" and "low end prosumer" does seem to be widening. I wouldn't expect too many consumer HD/V cameras anytime soon as the tech is still "new" so the corp's need to collect the "new tech tax." I'm interested to see what Panny ends up doing on the consumer end since they don't belong to the HDV consortium. The electronics makers seem to have built a catch-22 for themselves. They are pushing HD as the greatest thing since sliced bread and want people to buy HDTVs, but they aren't making it too easy to actually get HD content for those HDTVs.

Lethal

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Darn, I was hoping you knew something I didn't. Well, the HC3 is a pretty good deal, and there are some other cheap ones out there. Not HD, but kinda ok for what most people do. If you can afford or want to spend more, that seems to be the best bet. The HC1 was a good first step, and who knows, maybe we'll see an HC5 after all or Panasonic will blow us all away with something really good, even if it isn't full on HD.

12. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Thanks for pointing this out, solvs. I had misinterpreted information I read in a review, so I went to Sony's website to see what microphones can be used with the HC3. At the top of my "must have" list was a wireless system, which I was glad to see offered by Sony. I would expect that the HC3 options are not professional quality, but then neither is the HC3 itself, so it seems like an acceptable match.

Since this eliminated my biggest concern, I have just purchased an HC3 a few days ago (along with some extras, such as the wireless mic), and so far I am very happy with it. It's a significant improvement over my old Panasonic MiniDV camcorder. I haven't had a chance to try anything like an FX1 or better yet, so I don't know yet what I am missing. But I figure in the long run, I may step up to something better, and at that time the HC3 will become my second camera for times when light weight counts, or when a particular shot puts the camera at some risk.

- Martin

13. whoooaaahhhh macrumors member

whoooaaahhhh

Big Difference

There are many differences between the FX1/Z1U and the HC3, the least of which is fact that the FX1/Z1U is way easier to hold and use if you're going to do the hand cam thing.

More importantly, the FX1/Z1U has substantially better picture and color separation because it is a 3 Chip camera, the FX1/Z1U (Z1U being also far superior IMHO)

There are so many differences...the FX1 is better at low light, and the Z1U is even better. The FX1 and the HC3 just really aren't in the same class. You are right though, the gap is widening, although on the other hand the general placement of money/value is much higher, these days you get a much better camera per dollar than you used to. Just look at what VHS cameras used to cost...jeez. As a videographer, i couldn't personally choose either the FX1 or the HC3, because the Z1U just has many more features, the least of which being DVCAM and XLR jacks.

But it's your call.

EDIT: w00t! I'm a friggin member now!